Author Topic: case stud removal  (Read 4098 times)

Offline jBernard

case stud removal
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »

Tearing engine apart to make sure she is in order right now. The head studs came out pretty easy via the double nut removal method with an open end wrench and a small breaker bar.
However, inspecting the case studs, looks like one or two have some bad oxidation and one is pretty pitted where it mates to the case. Figured i'd remove these at the same time and put some new ones in. tried the same method to get them out and they wont even budge.

Whats the trick on these? they are normal threaded correct? Any tips would help out greatly.

taylor
'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: case stud removal
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
Soak with a penetrating oil several times over a day, then use heat...
A stud removal tool is nice as well.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jBernard

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
thx, will grab a stud removal tool and try the penetrating oil as well.
hopefully dont snap one off in the case!
'14 KTM 300SX

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:13:59 AM »

how bad are they?     why take em out?   just leave em in while you SODA BLAST the cases

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 01:50:15 AM »
use a torch & heat the case right where the stud goes in, use a temp gun & dont heat past 250 degrees. you can use a pentrating oil while doing this just make sure its something that smells nice while burning
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline jBernard

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »

how bad are they?     why take em out?   just leave em in while you SODA BLAST the cases

only one looks pretty rough. but i'm just anal so if something doesnt look new it bothers me and comes out. also going to get some Ti head studs machined and PVD coated so figured i'd do engine studs at same time.
'14 KTM 300SX

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »

only one looks pretty rough. but i'm just anal so if something doesnt look new it bothers me and comes out. also going to get some Ti head studs machined and PVD coated so figured i'd do engine studs at same time.

Hmm. not sure how I feel about Ti head studs.   :|

Offline yeomans

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »
Soak in wd-40 and an 8 inch pipe wrench if you don't plan on reusing them.

Offline jBernard

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »

how bad are they?     why take em out?   just leave em in while you SODA BLAST the cases

Hmm. not sure how I feel about Ti head studs.   :|

youre obviously more experienced at this than I, so feel free to throw in your concerns.
shouldnt have to worry about the head trying to lift and stretching the lugs right? know that happens on racing vehicles, but figured wouldnt be an issue on a mx bike.

only neg i could see with Ti studs is that if you didnt coat them, they could possibly gall and never come out, but the PVD coating should stop that. and these things arent torqued super tight in the cases right? i mean, theres no clockwise, counter clockwise rotation like on a normal bolt that would try and loosen it. pretty much any force would try to pick it straight up. correct me if i'm wrong.
thx!
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »
Just my 2 cents. Internet search for Ti head studs. I dont think you'll find any because in my understanding Ti is so stong because its somewhat malleable it gives some which would not be good in a bolt that you want to be more rigid if anything than what the factory designed.

If it was me , I'd send a sample of each stud to ARP & see if they dont have something that would cross, if that doesnt work just get new factory studs. Replacing the head studs is a good idea , case studs I'm sure wouldnt hurt either. If you do go the arp route please post on what you find

Motorrad might have even more enlightenment
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF