Author Topic: 2000 KX500 Project  (Read 112636 times)

Offline Pmcg

Re: 2000 KX500 Project
« Reply #270 on: March 19, 2016, 01:13:34 PM »
     So New key.  Stock ignition back in.  Middle timing mark.  Verified spark.  Verified gas 40:1.  Bike will not kick start. 

I am getting a good kick with the compression release.  Without it the compression is ridiculous. My friend Dan also has a kx500 without the compression release and we can both kick start that no issues.   Its stock but in good shape.  Could the compression release be causing the starting issues?  Could my motor have too much compression (too much compression!, what does this question say about my manhood?)?  I know Todd did some work to the head?  Could the window in the piston be causing some fuel issues?  The spark plug is wet and after 10 or so kicks I can smell gas.   I've tried choke, no choke, primer kicks, no gas, some gas, fill gas, roll on gas.  I'm really getting frustrated and sure appreciate the help.   

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #271 on: March 19, 2016, 01:35:02 PM »
I know you said you've verified spark....you could try disconnecting the kill switch, and also a new plug....maybe even try an NGK B8ES.
may not help...but at least you can rule them out.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #272 on: March 19, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »
Thanks for the input Fox.   I've tried a few different plugs including the b8es.  MZB recommends the iridium version and it seemed to have the biggest visual spark.  as for the kill switch I have 2 and have switched it out already thinking it could be an intermittent failure...didn't seem to help.   

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #273 on: March 19, 2016, 09:29:39 PM »
another thing I myself would try, just to see if it made a difference....would be another carb, like the stocker (if you have access to one)...just to see...if it starts, then you'll know it's your Lectron that needs fine tuning...
and if it doesn't start, that'll be another thing you can rule out.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #274 on: March 19, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »
Thanks Fox. We think alike. I had a stocker on there and was having the issues so I decided to try the lectron to see if it helped.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:13:42 AM by Pmcg »