Author Topic: 1987 KX 60 willnot shift into gear.  (Read 3195 times)

Offline hurtucaine

1987 KX 60 willnot shift into gear.
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:08:14 AM »
I have a 1987 KX 60
I purchased for my son several years ago, had many owners and was not maintied well, needed  a clutch wen purchased but ran well enough.
History..
Replaced clutch, found water pump impeller broke ( JB weld relpair) new gasket, oil and ran it that summer  less than 10 hrs.
Stored in in the garage for 3 years... (drian fuel or tank and carb.)

Recently decided to get it out and running properly. Went through the carb clean and adjust, float, jets, throttle cable, new plug, new chain, replacement parts on order ( spark plug wire, water pump, throttle cable,etc.) . Now runs great on the stand in the garage.
Time to take it around the block…… will not shift into gear…. &^*&%... ..still will not go into gear…&*$#*.. WTF….
I removed the Right hand side case cover to inspect Shift lever and fork mech.
 I found the following issue, see my attachment for details. The shift fork is working and engages the pins for gear selection properly but the pin wheel will not rotate in either direction.  I removed the small 2 piece spring mech.  that interlocks the pin wheel  selection. And with awl and hammer was able to rotate the the pin wheel for gear selection. This pin wheel I assume should move very freely? It does not , it is very stiff almost frozen in position.
What is my next step?
Do I have to remove engine and separate case to resolve this issue?
Is it possible to resolve with out separating case?
How did this happen? Was working fine when parked? Is this typical KX issue?

Offline hurtucaine

Re: 1987 KX 60 willnot shift into gear.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:09:22 AM »
Attachment for details.