Author Topic: Crank instalation  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Pmcg

Crank instalation
« on: July 07, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
Im getting ready to rebuild my kx500 and have read a few different techniques for installing the crank.  Are there any advantages to pressing the crank into the case using the Kawasaki crankshaft jig over pulling the crank into the case with the tusk crank installer? The crank is being rebuilt and balanced at Pinsonnault and I really don't want to do it twice!  I am always looking for a reason to buy a few new tools but am quickly running out of kx money.  Any advice/techniques are appreciated.   

Motorrad

Re: Crank instalation
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »
Im getting ready to rebuild my kx500 and have read a few different techniques for installing the crank.  Are there any advantages to pressing the crank into the case using the Kawasaki crankshaft jig over pulling the crank into the case with the tusk crank installer? The crank is being rebuilt and balanced at Pinsonnault and I really don't want to do it twice!  I am always looking for a reason to buy a few new tools but am quickly running out of kx money.  Any advice/techniques are appreciated.   

I don't use either tequnique

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:05:48 PM »
haha in reading through archived posts I know I'm not the first person to type this.  Hey Motorrad care to elaborate? 

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »
From several places on the site.

if you look at my or USMC'500's motor build thread... you will notice there are pictures where the crank is frozen ....

Here is my order.... Not for the faint of heart, or the SLOW worker.. as it all happens VERY VERY fast..

Get a Beer...

I install crank seals, then mains in the cases Using Heat/freeze method (drink a beer)....   install tranny...  (dont forget to GREASE ALL SEALS and yamabond the seals in)  

Oil crank.... put in freezer overnight... Have another beer or 4

Next day... turn oven on to 500F..   put in 4 impact sockets, that are same size as "inner race" on mains.. Have a beer.

let sockets heat for about an hour... or so.. have 2 beers

take 2 sockets out... Place on the inner race of each case.. for about 4min... This method keeps all heat away from crank seals (your next to the freezer, get another beer)

While those are on there... Put Case sealer on Primary side case..

Get other 2 sockets... Place on mains (take other 2 off).. (need another beer?)

let sit for 2 min... then go get the crank (my freezer is a 1min round trip from bench).. (no time for beer need to work fast at this point.)

Drop crank in Clutch side case (the one the tranny is in)... it will fall all the way through and go "CLUNK" against the main...  (have to have case proped up so crank end wont hit bench).. I have a universal motor stand built out of 2x4's for this...

Imediatly get ignition side case.. and Drop on...

Make quick sure it spins free and is centered..   now is the quick time for a light tap with a rubber hammer to undo any bind your in...

Install Case bolts you ALREADY HAVE LAYED OUT.. In order... along with proper tools.....

Torque to half spec...
...........Have a sip of beer................  
Torque to full spec...

Have a beer.. you did good..

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:28:39 AM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
PS    all my bearings and cranks go in with retaining compound.      K5 is famous for slippen em.

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
Extra PS.    always put your crank seals in with Case sealer on em.       K5 likes to leak around the outsides

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write that.  Looks like tool money just became beer money.

Any specific retaining compound?  Hi temp loctite?  

When oiling the crank is it to prevent frost/condensation (should I oil everything?)

I plan on lapping the cases using the time saver yellow / ATF but cant find the post i read it in.  is this the magic mix?

Case sealer as in yamabond?  

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 04:54:55 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write that.  Looks like tool money just became beer money.

Any specific retaining compound?  Hi temp loctite?  

When oiling the crank is it to prevent frost/condensation (should I oil everything?)

I plan on lapping the cases using the time saver yellow / ATF but cant find the post i read it in.  is this the magic mix?

Case sealer as in yamabond?  

loctite 648    (found on page 2   http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8717.15.html  )

Oiling the crank is to prevent rust apon frost and condensation.   so spray her down good with some kind of penitrating oil, lube the bearings with 2T oil...

yes on the time saver.   magic stuff..    do the head while your at it.

yes.  Yamabond.  (on the outside of the seal)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:36:10 PM »
No pictures?
I'm in trouble  :-P
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 06:12:36 PM »
I probably should start a build thread to keep all of my stupid questions in one post.  I will get some pictures in there.  Its going to be a copy of your (sandblaster's) thread as i picked up a street legal frame and am basically steeling all your ideas. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:14:32 PM by Pmcg »

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
No pictures?
I'm in trouble  :-P

with so much beer, that couldnt be good pics ...  :lol:

i do a similar method ... only using a heatgun for the case or bearings if installing the crank...there is to watch out: dont melt the seals  :evil: ...sometimes i have 3 or 4 engines on one day on the bench to repair...

and thats faster as using the fridge and so much beer...  :wink:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Sharky74

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 01:03:45 AM »
Where is the best place to get new bearings pressed on my crank and balanced? Thought I just had a bad seal, then when I split the cases I discovered the bearing was shot. Can a good machine shop do it?

What are my best options? Thanks

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 01:17:43 AM »
Where is the best place to get new bearings pressed on my crank and balanced? Thought I just had a bad seal, then when I split the cases I discovered the bearing was shot. Can a good machine shop do it?

What are my best options? Thanks

I know Sandblaster had his crank done here and gave a great write up on the work that was performed....my cylinder/head are with Todd now getting re-worked.

Check it out...
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=357&p=1094#p1094 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ