Author Topic: Powerband too short  (Read 22226 times)

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
Re: Powerband too short
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »
How are you guys measuring you powerbands? Mine is very wide since the rebuild and I chose the blue, but I'm not sure how long it is. Now I know why everything is going electrical,,,much easier.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Motorrad

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
I prefere natural rubber power bands.   Gives the best old type smooth torque power like older European bikes.   Vs the heavy hitting orange and red synthetic rubber bands, they hit like late 80's 125....

Offline Gage

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:04 AM »
Got the head back with a 88mm gasket. Still waiting on the slow jet...... I'm hitting 155 psi sounds good?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 06:34:02 AM »
155psi is good...quite good.....when you can't get any higher than 125psi,that's when you want to start being a little concerned.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Gage

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 08:38:23 AM »
Ya that was it I wore my foot off out on those 4 or 5 kicks. The bike seems to rev out ALOT better than before. The wheel is coming off the ground in 2nd. And 3rd when I chop it hard, Im certain there more power to be had. I have a 185 main in it now, which feels a little bit blubbery up high. It doesn't surge AT ALL when letting off the throttle now either, I lowered the idle down and the air screw in 0.5 turns out. The revs still dont feel right like its cutting out a bit short in the upper rpms, or Idk how to say it, like the bike loses power sorta. Im going to take it to a long road tomorrow and do some chop runs and check the plugs. Do you guys think that that lower pilot will help out a bit, it's farting oil outta the muffler still. Shouldn't the air screw be out more as well?   

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 09:00:13 AM »
Ideally the air screw wants to be 1.5 turns out....give or take a 1/4 turn.

Here,scroll down to Sandblasters post....this is one of the better explanations for your air screw setting....and jetting in general on here.
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10910.0.html

A 185main is like a fire hose :lol:....you should be able to drop down to mid 170s.
Repack your silencer too...start off fresh..that thing's probably saturated with spooge.
What size pilot is in it as of now?...what position is your clip in?

Another quick simple thing you can verify,is where your timing is set at...that can change the power curve/delivery in ways you're explaining ....the previous owner could've played with it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:46:07 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Gage

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
That's a good link, they should sticky that some where. Okay so I'm at a 58 now, clips at the top. Now that I see that the pilot circuit effects the main as well to some extant, Should I just wait until my 55 gets here? Not even bother with the chop runs, will it effect it that much? I think the stators in line with the marks, Ill check that too. Thanks for the help

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
I'm thinkin the 55Pilot will be a better choice....
Drop the clip down to the middle...(3rd from top)...being where it is now(at the top),it's in the leanest position...not a good place to be.There's a chance it might be a bit rich in the 3rd from top...but try it....it should help.
Then you can try the 2nd from top if it feels blubbery being in the 3rd from top.
And definitely do the chop runs....and let us know how the plugs look...pics help :wink:

Offline Gage

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 05:37:56 AM »
Didn't get to the chop runs yet, rain! Right or wrong???

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:37:10 AM by sandblaster »

Offline Gage

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »
Okay fixed the stator which was on there wrong and put my 55 pilot in today and the bike seems to have alot more power. It smokes alot less now too. It pops wheelies effortlessly in 1st 2nd 3rd. It still revs out funny though Idk how to describe it sorta zingy. When the weather clears up and I get some time I'll do some chop runs with fresh plugs and take pictures. Do you guys think I should replace my muffler packaging or will it dry out? It's a brand new muffler. :| 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:25 AM »
it's a long shot....but how's your clutch adjustment?..do you have at least 2-3mm of play at the lever?....it doesn't seem like it's slipping does it?

where's the clip position now?...and are you still running that massive 185main?

if the silencer is really dripping/spraying all over the place...it can't hurt to open it up and take a look....just get a package of fresh packing to have on hand before you do....but if it doesn't seem to be spooging badly,I wouldn't bother if it's really that new.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:46:31 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline Gage

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
So I should be able to pull my lever 2-3mm without it moving the clutch arm right? It might be slipping :|, is there any good way to tell?  I'll have to check that out tomorrow. I have the clip set 2nd notch from top and a 175 main now. From a few test rides around the block, I think I need to go a size lower. It's still kinda dripping but it might just be leftover, because it smokes a lot less now. I guess I shouldn't say ''zingy'' it's more like it revs out too quick. It's MUCH torquer down low now, like it could go up a wall. How much do you think my boyesen reed's with the gnarly desert pipe will affect it? A woods gnarly would have been better with the boyesen right?   

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
yes there should be a little free play at the clutch lever...
a 170 or 172 main should get you where you want to be.What pipe is on there now?....I ask because the FMF Woods pipe will flatten out just about the time you've clicked into 5th gear :x....the Desert pipe just keeps pulling for as long as you have the balls to hold it wide open.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
I'd go 168 on your main and set your clip to the middle or 3rd position.
The rest of your questions..... I'm saving those for others to join in on  :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.