Author Topic: Powerband too short  (Read 22227 times)

Offline Gage

Powerband too short
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
Okay so I put a new top end on a K5 89-04 mismatched years used Millennium Tech re-plated 88MM, brand new 39mm Keihin PWK 165 main 58 slow 3rd clip from top air 1.5 live in Ocala FL, New Gnarly Desert Pipe, Nature friendly muffler, New boyesen reed cage/ intake, passed air and vacuum tests, idles good, revs good, sounds good, runs okay down low but doesn't seem to have much hit to it. Up high it kinda just skips over its power-band in 4th, 5th. Black oil running out the muffler. Ive been having trouble with for a little while now. Tried a lot of different things nothing seems to change it. I 95% sure I put the PV in right, the side lever pulls when I rev it. I read some where on here that the boyesen reeds are more for low, did I mess up pairing it with the desert exhaust? I'm out of ideas, suggestions?   

Offline 81cr450

Re: Powerband too short
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
an easy check on the valves being in correct is to pull the pipe & manually operate them while looking up the exhaust, not running of course. move the 10mm nut, with a box end wrench ,where the output comes out of the clutch cover

what oil & ratio you using?
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline Gage

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 10:21:54 AM »
32:1

Offline Gage

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »
Yup they're right
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline Gage

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 11:41:34 AM »
Rear wheel bearings maybe?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »
Black oil running out the muffler.

work on your jetting....too lean on top,too fat down low.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Gage

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
Okay so what bigger main and what else?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »
you gotta let us know what kind of riding you do....trails,track,desert...ect....can't just throw numbers out there without knowing if you're doing mostly 1/2 to full throttle riding or hardly ever at WOT.
But if you have black oil running outa the silencer/exhaust....you're way too rich somewhere...and I'll put my money on the low end.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Gage

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
Man I just take it around block lol  :-D I meant to say whats the best way of leaning out the bottom end? Slow jet? Air screw? It surges 6-7 times after WOT in 4th 5th with the clutch in too.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »
that surging is a good indicator that you are too lean on top...go to at least a 170main.
drop your pilot down to a 55,you might even have to go down to a 52pilot.
and you can try changing the clip to the 2nd from top position....that may make it too lean for your riding style,so pay close attention to how it runs,you might have to go back to the 3rd position...it should be a lot more crisp in the 2nd from top.
this will also help your black oil problem go away.

Offline Gage

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
Alright thanks I appreciate the help I'll give it try.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 12:46:42 PM »
another thing you can try for the surging...is adjust the idle screw so that it WON'T idle....I learned this off this site a while back because mine used to surge like mad.....it didn't completely stop the surging,but it made a huge difference.

Offline Gage

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »
another thing you can try for the surging...is adjust the idle screw so that it WON'T idle....I learned this off this site a while back because mine used to surge like mad.....it didn't completely stop the surging,but it made a huge difference.
Leave the air screw alone after right?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
yes,once you have it set.