Author Topic: Replacement Carb?  (Read 22466 times)

Offline KevinTwoStk

Re: Replacement Carb?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »
Fair enough!

Make sure you get the correct slide (listed as "throttle valve cutaway" in the specs) because that's something that probably won't need replacing, and is an expensive part to purchase if you accidentally end up with the wrong one.

Your bike is gonna look awesome when it's done!

Looks like you got an FMF Turbinecore 2 silencer/spark arrestor with the bike. That's a valuable item. If you get a Green Sticker to go with it, you'll be able to ride in any OHV area during any month of the year. If you ride the Quail Canyon/I-5 MX track in Gorman, you'll be able to ride right into the Gorman OHV area if you have a Green Sticker and spark arrestor.

One of the best things about building a '00 bike is that it's eligible for a Green Sticker. Even though you're primarily planning to ride the tracks, it's nice to have options.

How are your wheels? I ask because I have several seized spokes on mine. The aluminum spoke nipples seized themselves onto the steel spoke threads. I know I'll have to replace the spokes (possibly rims, too) sooner or later.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:20:05 PM by KevinTwoStk »

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 05:51:14 AM »
Should I get that slide even with a brand new carb?

Thanks man! I'm hoping so.

I did get the bike with that silencer but I sold it on ebay. I'm gonna pro-circuit the bike out with an r-304 shorty most likely but I've been thinking about the factory sound as well.
I already got it registered so my green sticker is all ready to go!

I was at Gorman yesterday! It was my first time riding a bike in 10 years so I rented a CRF250X and taught my gf how to ride on a 150. It was awesome. It's less than an hour from me.

Exactly I wanted the option to do that. In addition to liking the style of the 99-02 KX's better than the 03-present, I figured I'd want to keep that option open.

Well the rims look in decent condition. The tires are shot. When I get done with the chassis, I'll be getting brand new tires. I am going to get my hubs powder coated, and possibly my rims powder coated chrome. My spokes look a little rusty and old, so those will most likely get replaced. The sprocket and brake rotor are both stuck on the hubs though. The allen head is stripped on the final bolt on the sprocket and I can't get any of the bolts loose on the rotor.

It might actually be cheaper to just get a full custom wheel set from dubya (rims, spokes, hubs, rotors, sprockets, and tires included) or something like that and skip the hassle. I'm not sure yet. I want to see how deep I am in budget wise by the time I get to the wheels. Those are going to be the last stop on this train. haha

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 06:33:18 AM »
You might be able to specify that slide with your new carb. It's worth asking about.

Pro Circuit makes a Nature Friendly spark arrestor for our bikes, and you'll need a spark arrestor to ride at Gorman. You could get both a 304 silencer and a Nature Friendly spark arrestor and swap them out as needed.

Wheel-wise, Faster USA www.fasterusa.com has some options (CNC machined hubs, for one) that are cheaper than the Talon hubs that Dubya sells. Don't get me wrong: I'd love to have a set of Talon hubs!

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 08:13:21 AM »
I'll definitely keep that in mind when ordering the new TMX.

Yea I'll have to do that then. Too bad I sold the FMF. Is that what they check for at the guard gate on the way in? I saw them checking something on the quads in front of me on the way in.

Wow those are some pretty sweet wheels. Expensive too! I really wanted to keep the stockers because 1) the u-shape does not collect dirt/mud like the aftermarket ones with the lip and 2) they are part of the old KX's uniqueness and I want to stay true to the beauty of the stock bike in as many ways as possible. But if the rims appear bent at all once I have them off the tires, I may have to go aftermarket and this site you provided looks like a great place to start!

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »
You can get replacement spoke sets that will fit the stock hubs and rims.

Faster USA probably has them, and I believe RK Excel will, too.

www.rkexcelamerica.com

Yes, there's a tool they sometimes use at the Gorman entrance station to check for a spark arrestor. It's not much more than a wire of a certain length, but they'll insert it into your exhaust to make sure there's a spark arrestor inside.

Too bad you sold the TurbineCore, but on the positive side, Pro Circuit's Nature Friendly spark arrestor will be a perfect match to your P.C. pipe.

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 05:36:07 AM »
Awesome good to know!

Yep I saw them poking with that wire. I was like wtf is that thing they are poking with? How intrusive lol

Yea the P.C. will be awesome!

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
My question is: what's wrong with your current carburetor?

If it's in bad shape, I can see needing a new one. Of course, it's your bike and your call.

The '01 KX 125 used a Mikuni TMX36, while the '02 went with a Mikuni TMX38. Most 125's use a 36mm carb. Theoretically, a 38mm will provide better top end power but at the expense of low- and mid-range power. So I'd go with a 36 for better all-around performance.

'01 carb specs per the Kawasaki service manual (Kawasaki p/n 99924-1244-04)

Mikuni TMX36
Main jet: #360
Throttle valve cutaway: #5.5
Jet needle: 6BEF16-69
Jet needle clip position: 4th groove from the top
Slow jet/pilot jet: #50
Air screw (turns out): 2.0
Service fuel level (above the bottom edge of the carb body): 3mm plus or minus 1mm
Float height: 15mm plus or minus 1mm

The stock specs are a starting point. Odds are that you'll have to do some further tuning, which brings us to the JD Jetting kit.

The value of the JD Jetting kit (which I still think is a good idea) is the research and development that went into it. JD's R&D can save a lot of guesswork and frustration.

If you keep your existing carburetor I would also purchase new gaskets for the top of the carb and for the float bowl. If the carb top gasket leaks you'll be leaking extra air into the engine which will make it run lean and in turn risk a seizure. If the float bowl gasket leaks you'll be dribbling fuel all over the cases: flammable and messy!

Kevin...I can't find any new Mikuni TMX 36's on ebay man.

This is all I found

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mikuni+tmx36&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#client=safari&rls=en&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=mikuni+tmx+36+carburetor&oq=mikuni+tmx+36+carburetor&gs_l=serp.3...9879.10515.7.10680.4.4.0.0.0.1.236.429.3j0j1.4.0....0...1c.1.23.psy-ab..7.11.690.iAFMHKJPZDU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.50165853%2Cd.cGE%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.seW1cfrvSKg.O&fp=3c61165ce2ca811f&biw=1021&bih=589

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
That looks like a pretty good selection.

Just be aware that you might have to purchase some additional internal parts in order to get the carb into factory specs and/or the right tune.

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 02:31:06 AM »
Ok thats not a problem. By internal parts you mean the jetting kit you mentioned before right?
My only issue is that these are TM 36 carbs and not TMX 36 carbs. Not sure if the X makes a difference.

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
Or possibly a slide, which wouldn't be part of a JD Jetting kit.

Why don't you check with Sudco about a complete TMX carb? Motorcycle carburetors are their specialty and they're local to both of us. You could either go and pick your stuff up at the Will Call desk or get it shipped.

www.sudco.com

(800) 998-3529

Final thought: are you dead positive you've got a 2000 and not an '01? Your DMV title/pink slip will have the year model listed. You can also tell by the frame's VIN number--I think Sandblaster may have a reference table of VINs and model years.

I just think it's weird that someone would have gone to the trouble of swapping the carburetor as well as the wiring.

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »
VIN: JKAKXRLCXYA014759\
Engine #: KX125LE017088

Title says year model 2000 Kawas

Offline TJXK

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
I can't remember the name of it, but what do you guys think about that new carb that came out that you don't have to jet.  It self adjusts and is supposed to put out more power. 

Last I saw it was backordered and costs $375.  I'm currently searching for it.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »
Chassis is a 2000 but you have something wrong with your VIN number..... Don't correct it, posting good VINs is a bad thing...
The engine ID is from a 99-02.
You can verify the cylinder from the 4 digit code embossed on the side.
A 2000 should be 1921.
If it's something else let me know.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline TJXK

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 05:43:18 PM »
http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb.php

Here it is.  Anyone have any thoughts on these?  I'm interested in one if it does what they claim. 

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
That's the first I've seen of it. Looks promising! Swapping jets is a huge pain.