Author Topic: New/old 500 rider  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Kaw391

New/old 500 rider
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
Just picked up an couple bikes and gonna start a project. 2006 KX 250F and a hacked up 88 KX 500.  Let the fun begin! 
Any and all help/advice will be appreciated greatly

Offline Kaw391

Re: New/old 500 rider
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »
I stand corrected thanks to this site. I have an 86 KX 500.  Bought it site unseen and already ran into enough that I'm about to scrap this idea. Stripped drain plug. Lots of in weld for a fix. That's only one of the many flaws so far.
Anyone need anything let me know. Don't have much but have wheels, brakes, and forks.  Radiators hold water but aren't pretty.

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
I stand corrected thanks to this site. I have an 86 KX 500.  Bought it site unseen and already ran into enough that I'm about to scrap this idea. Stripped drain plug. Lots of in weld for a fix. That's only one of the many flaws so far.
Anyone need anything let me know. Don't have much but have wheels, brakes, and forks.  Radiators hold water but aren't pretty.

98% of the KX drain plugs are striped.       if that deters you.    your in for a hard road without buying NEW cases from oem.

Offline Kaw391

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:59:40 AM »
That's not a deterrent.  Guess its just one of several and many more expected to find. Spitting cases today to see what all I find.
Actually the way they fixed it was pure genius. They actually JB Welded a nut to the cases to screw the new drain plug in.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
They actually JB Welded a nut to the cases to screw the new drain plug in.

that sounds a little sketchy :?....any chance you could post a pic of the repair?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Tecaterider

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »
I have a complete 86 motor sitting in the garage if you are looking for another motor..

Offline Kaw391

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
Ya it was scetchy I was being a little sarcstic. I've got it all chipped off and cases are split now.  The crank is gonna need replaced, its chewed up pretty bad under the drive gear on the right side.  I'm not sure how to post pictures on here from my phone.  And I can't get high speed at home so kinda stuck.
How much for the motor?