Author Topic: my poor bike  (Read 34932 times)

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
Re: my poor bike
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »
Just had my main ride stolen so I might be finally starting on my AF conversion. Anyone ever figure out a solution to the frame breakage? I have an idea that I think would do the job but would add more fabrication, welding, and weight to the project.

Hijacking sandblaster's excellent diagram, I came up with this not to scale idea. Basically a 1/4" 6061 plate, or upper and lower 1/8" plates, that would follow the cradle tubing on to the head stay but even further up to be a gusset and also extends to the rear past the end of the rails to the cast piece that connects the lower rear frame together. Would obviously have a hole(s) for access to the drain plug. Could maybe even have more holes to reduce the weight some without sacrificing strength. Critiques or suggestions?

'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2015, 04:08:07 PM »
If you over stress one area it results in breakage in others. The whole thing is made to flex in unison , if you can figure out no weld mounts... Hint attach to the existing tabs, take a trip to the local Honda dealer & look at the front mount on a 2014 + . The welding is the jam in the works for breakage "anealing". Testing in the works for imperical data
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »
So, no conclusion yet. I just don't have the time to wait any more for a solution. If anyone is interested, I have an '06 250f rolling chassis I'm ready to part with.
'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)