Author Topic: K5  (Read 7323 times)

Offline J.ellwanger

K5
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »
so to start off, I picked my first bike up in 2012, a 1989 KX125, which in 2 months blew the top end, so im fixing it, but there's my riding history, Dec. 2012- Feb. 2013.  but DONT count me out as a small guy, the K5 stays in 3, and above 40 most the time, might not be fast, but its fast to me! small course, tight trails.

Enter May, traded my GSX600F Katana, for my current 91 K5, all honesty, I definitely came out on top of the deal,
 I picked the bike not running, with the Org. owner saying magneto was at fault. sat for 3 yrs.
   checked compression, 120lbs.
   checked electrical,  works fine,
 So i continued on to the fuel side.   Petcock was plugged up. unplugged it, continued on.
   pulled carb. and dumped out about 4 oz of water....
 new spark plug, fresh gas, few kicks, backfires, and it started up! 6 hours of working and pulling apart, HELL YEAH!
now if i go through my priming stages, (4-6 slow strokes on the kick) one solid kick, it will start up first kick!
 I'M HAPPY needless to say. :-D :-o :-D took a ride around the block, and lifted the tire of the ground UNINTENTIONALLY through 4th. 
 but now going through the bike there is a few things I'm finding I need to change the front springs, and rear shock. to hard, and to soft.
   but I'm not sure how to tell whats on there now. and dont want to waste money on a spring that's the same, or softer. any links for info. also, I've read a bunch of forums where people are saying to stay away form calculators. so if anyone can help me on that!?! would be awesome.
Respect For Hard Work, Hard work that got Me what I have, What I have Shows my Hard Work, Good Circle that keeps Me Employed.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: K5
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »
shorts and a wife beater...nice style!

Welcome aboard...try these guys...

http://www.racetech.com/

click on Spring Rate Search once you get in the site....you should get the info you're seeking.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline flem469

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 03:08:59 PM »
He's right about Race Tech. I have their springs and Gold Valves in my 01 with the Emig dogbones. Call Jason Beck @ Becks Tech Suspension and Tuning in Daytona- tell him Flem sent you. 386-256-4746.

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
  ^^
   haha, yeah ...im looking at proper gear, but im finding i need to replace more than i thought at first, but got burned on my knee same day as the picture...  lesson learned, pants from now on...
  but thanks alot. ill check those guys out, and give him a call,  looking forward to bringing this bike back!
Respect For Hard Work, Hard work that got Me what I have, What I have Shows my Hard Work, Good Circle that keeps Me Employed.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:27:23 AM »
  ^^
   haha, yeah ...im looking at proper gear, but im finding i need to replace more than i thought at first, but got burned on my knee same day as the picture...  lesson learned, pants from now on...
  but thanks alot. ill check those guys out, and give him a call,  looking forward to bringing this bike back!

Nothin wrong with riding casually dressed 8-)....that's one of the main reasons I got another 250,so I could ride right out my back door,and over to my buddies house to shoot the s**t and drink beer. :-D When it comes to the 500 though,I won't even think about starting it without my Tech 8's,AND riding pants...just for the reason you pointed out...knee burn :cry:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:36:03 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »
yep, shin bark one time, never trying to start it without my boots on!

But i checked out that website 
http://www.racetech.com/

making an ass of you and me (assume) the springs and shock could be stock??!?
 and what i read on other forums has happened to me, TO SOFT!
FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.442 kg/mm (use closest available)  =24.7lbs/in
Stock Fork Spring Rate: 0.378 kg/mm(stock)  =21.1lbs/inch

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 5.18 kg/mm (use closest available) =290lbs/in
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 5.4 kg/mm (stock) =302lbs/in

so... the numbers seem to be getting softer for a recommended setting... which is my current problem, im too soft.
would like to get stiffer.(thats what she said)   is it possible to find out springs are on there? or do i need to compress it an inch(im pulling random ideas, dont know much about springs, shocks. shock is my main issue right now) nor how to tell what i currently have. how do i find out whats on the bike, and go stiffer from there?
 I played with the suspension this weekend, and ended up adding more pre-load on the shock, and adjusted the rebound. all the way to very slow rebound... or "hard" ...  but came to the conclusion its to soft for me, and i would like it to be stiffer
 Questions,
  how to tell what shock/spring is on there now.
 so i can ignore the soft recommendation
im not going softer!

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
Amazing what fresh fluid and new seals can do!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 11:26:37 PM »
Amazing what fresh fluid and new seals can do!

absolutely....you can also experiment with fork oil heights as well to change how it feels and rides.

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 03:50:07 AM »
hehe... well now that i replaced the fluid, i will experiment with that,
  but... as i just stuck my foot in my mouth... i might need to go softer like the calculator said...
 I'm still playing with the adjustments, but front end is STIFF.
  this place is great. answered a ton of questions with out asking you anything, (search, search, search,)

SO MUCH INFORMATION! AWESOME!  :mrgreen:

`

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 04:18:36 AM »
  SO MUCH INFORMATION! AWESOME! 

yes it is  :-D....I don't think there's anyone on here that has'nt learned at least one thing helpful...whether it's about bikes,cooking...or drinking!

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 05:01:34 AM »

yes it is  :-D....I don't think there's anyone on here that has'nt learned at least one thing helpful...whether it's about bikes,cooking...or drinking!

have you guys found the grilled cheese thread yet?  :wink:    thats a OLDIE but a goodie.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 05:09:06 AM »

yes it is  :-D....I don't think there's anyone on here that has'nt learned at least one thing helpful...whether it's about bikes,cooking...or drinking!

have you guys found the grilled cheese thread yet?  :wink:    thats a OLDIE but a goodie.

I actually forgot about that one....I need to try some of these.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,3625.0.html

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:20:45 AM »
Don't ever ride with a speedometer... 40 is faster then you think  :-D
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline J.ellwanger

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:38:09 AM »
WHAT!!!?!?!   mind...BLOWN!   I never even thought about food being on here.!>??! 
   sweet, im looking at the grilled cheese now. what else you guys got on here? I'm thinking KX only... obviously,    I'm stuck in a box, time to go outside. 
  speaking of food, i went to the track this Sunday, and and meet some people, then coming home, pulling into my neighborhood, and there they were, few houses down from me, so i unloaded, rode over to their place, and they feed me steak, and had a few beers, kick the s**t, was great meeting new people!

and as far as the sped-o, i use the cars on the highway to figure out... (farm road right along side highway)
 speed limit, 65, and i pass them like they were parked,   and one day there was this cop... blew by him so fast I don't think he had a clue for 3 secs. untill the dust cleared.  thank God I was on private property!
 but I'm hungry gonna try one of those G.C.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »