Author Topic: working on getting my bike tuned in..  (Read 8565 times)

Offline conbread

working on getting my bike tuned in..
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
ok guy got to do some riding today, ive got the susp dialed in to my style.. now working on jetting..

the bike has
165m
50p
n82n 2nd clip
#7 slide
motul oil that most of yall run
and renegade fuel
40:1 mix
br8eg
and boysen superstock reeds with moose spacer..
with this jetting the plug is still black and i have a wet tip on the end of the pipe.. this is the same weather im killing it on a dirt road or lugging it thru some tight stuff.. down low it seems like its loaded up but will clean right out and rip up top..
I dropped down from a 52p and it cleaned it up some, so what should i do next?

drop the pilot again?
drop the main?
raise the needle to the top spot?
just trying to get a clean tan looking plug and dry out the silencer.... thanks for the tips..
also im on the East coast i guess thats y my jetting is so much diff from what you guys run...
Video will be up tomm and u guys can hear the bike..

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: working on getting my bike tuned in..
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
sounds like you should do a compression test....to be that lean on your jetting,and still have a black/wet plug does'nt sound right.You're leaner than I am,and my plug's always a nice medium brown.

I'm running
 168m
 52p
 2nd notch
 stock needle
 2 1/4 out on air

I'm at 250'-500' above sea level,and I'm on the lean side.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:39:07 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline conbread

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »
the bike has a new piston and rings 2nd ride on it... seems to have tons of comp kicking it over..

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
how much assembly lube did you use when you put it together?....could just be that you still need to burn some off.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline conbread

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
i made it nice and slick but nothing crazy.. ive ran almost 10 gallons thru it...

could it be pulling oil thru the crank seals and crapping up the plug?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:50:29 PM »
it's possible....try a leak down test...that will tell you right away....just don't go any leaner yet!...maybe some of the other guys will have other ideas and possibilities you can try.
you're already quite lean,and you will fry that top end if you go much leaner.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
ok guy got to do some riding today, ive got the susp dialed in to my style.. now working on jetting..

the bike has
165m
50p
n82n 2nd clip
#7 slide
motul oil that most of yall run
and renegade fuel
40:1 mix
br8eg
and boysen superstock reeds with moose spacer..
with this jetting the plug is still black and i have a wet tip on the end of the pipe.. this is the same weather im killing it on a dirt road or lugging it thru some tight stuff.. down low it seems like its loaded up but will clean right out and rip up top..
I dropped down from a 52p and it cleaned it up some, so what should i do next?

drop the pilot again?
drop the main?
raise the needle to the top spot?
just trying to get a clean tan looking plug and dry out the silencer.... thanks for the tips..
also im on the East coast i guess thats y my jetting is so much diff from what you guys run...
Video will be up tomm and u guys can hear the bike..

I just stuck my piston running a 165 main.......careful with that :wink:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline serafin

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 01:55:15 PM »
Pilot sounds a bit lean to me

Offline conbread

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
i seen that sorry man.. all i know to do is read the spark plug and it will tell you about everything..
USMC How did your plug look?

i will have the video up in the morning and mabey you guys can watch it and see if you hear anything that sounds weird.. would i be loosing oil if the crank seals are badd?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »
yes....you will be using oil.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:04:03 PM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline conbread

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »
my last YZ250 had more jet than this bike it was

178m
50p
2nd clip
and no matter how u rode it, she was nice and tan..

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
yeah,but that's a completely different animal....my 250 is way different too.

Offline conbread

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 02:09:35 PM »
yea just saying its funny..

will oxygenated fuel make a differance to it?  the renegade fuel is...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »
I've never used oxy fuels before,never had the need...but I would say yes.Some of the other members have,and can answer that question with alot more detail than I ever could.
I typically run 25% VP-C12 or CAM2 in my pump fuel,and that's all I've ever needed.

I don't think you'll need it unless you've got some major mods...or you'll just be wasting money.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:32:28 PM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
i seen that sorry man.. all i know to do is read the spark plug and it will tell you about everything..
USMC How did your plug look?

i will have the video up in the morning and mabey you guys can watch it and see if you hear anything that sounds weird.. would i be loosing oil if the crank seals are badd?

Plug looked toasted......hahahha......Problem was me......I don't know why I had a 165 in there.  I thought I was running a 170 and the combination of being 2 main jet sizes too small on a PWK 41 with a 5th gear wide open run results in melted pistons.  On the positive side though we are trying some new things with my motor...........stay tuned. :wink:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"