Author Topic: Two Part Clutch Cover  (Read 10365 times)

Offline jamex

Two Part Clutch Cover
« on: June 02, 2013, 05:06:48 AM »
Hi All,
I've been talking to a Chinese company about making a limited run on the two part clutch cover, what I need to get the pricing is somebody with an original two part cover to have it 3D scanned, then if he sends me the data, I can have one 3D printed here in South Africa & send it off to China with the 3D scan data, then the factory can give me a price.
They are a very big casing casting company, with more than enough tooling & expertise, they make all the engine casings for the Chinese motorbike & scooter factories.
Any help will greatly appreciated.
Man Was Made From Dirt & To Dirt He Shall Return.

Motorrad

Re: Two Part Clutch Cover
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »
Hi All,
I've been talking to a Chinese company about making a limited run on the two part clutch cover, what I need to get the pricing is somebody with an original two part cover to have it 3D scanned, then if he sends me the data, I can have one 3D printed here in South Africa & send it off to China with the 3D scan data, then the factory can give me a price.
They are a very big casing casting company, with more than enough tooling & expertise, they make all the engine casings for the Chinese motorbike & scooter factories.

perhapse those who know destry can climb him?  (OSCAR)...    AS.. in my humble oppinion.   his is the sexyest and only one worth copying.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 05:48:58 AM »
Hi All,

perhapse those who know destry can climb him?  (OSCAR)...    AS.. in my humble oppinion.   his is the sexyest and only one worth copying.

I've been trying for to con Destry out of his KX500 goodies for 4 years.........he won't give any of it up.....what a pack rat that guy is. :lol:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »
Needless to say, my 2 piece adapter is on hold  8-)
I'll take 3 please....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »
Hi All,

I've been trying for to con Destry out of his KX500 goodies for 4 years.........he won't give any of it up.....what a pack rat that guy is. :lol:

dont want him to give it up.   just to take it off so we can have it 3d scanned...   then he can have it back

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
Beg him  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »
Hi All,

dont want him to give it up.   just to take it off so we can have it 3d scanned...   then he can have it back

I can try......I just finished speaking with him on Facebook......Gonna try to meet up with him at the next So Cal off road race he attends....Hopefully I'll have my K5 back by then. :roll:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline jamex

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

This is the mail that I got back from the factory, as you can see no bs.

Good day.
Thanks for your inquiry about aluminum die casting parts.This is Sean from Ningbo Zhongxin Die-Casting Mould Co.,Ltd which specialized in manufacturing all kinds of aluminum die casting parts and mould developing.
I checked the pictures that you mentioned the website,we can produce it.It will be highly appreciated if you can send me drawing of the items with 2D or 3D FILE or samples.Then i will quote you our exact price.

Any questions or comments,please feel free to contact us.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards
Sean Liu
Ningbo Zhongxin Die-Casting Mould Co.,Ltd
Add: No. 5th Road,Beilun,Ningbo,China
Tel: 0086-5   Fax: 0086-5
Email: sean
Msn: zxyz
Web1: w
Web2: http://z
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:30:15 PM by jamex »

Offline jamex

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »
Hi Guys,

I mailed back to the factory that we are just waiting to get a sample scanned, does anybody have a set of pristine engine casings that we can get scanned? They willl make up engine casings as well at a fraction of the Kawasaki price, just need to send the scan data through to them.

Offline jamex

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »
Hi, just an update on the casting company's communication.

Good day.
Thanks for your prompt reply and detailed introduction.We appreciated it.
So we waiting for these details and engine castings,then we will reply you all situation.

Thanks and regards,
Sean Liu

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 05:48:40 PM »
If we can't find one to be copied I'll go ahead and get my adapter done..

Offline jamex

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:19:25 PM »
Sandblaster, if you get yours sorted out will you scan it so that we can get a few made, I'm not trying to make money out of anybody here just would like one. I want to be able to lock up my crank in an easier way when doing the timing with the PZB magneto, I'm still not happy with the spark timing angle & its difficult to get the flywheel in exactly the angle you want when you cannot lock the crank properly. Do you have another cover in stock, then when I go home on leave I can start my own mod, I have bought from you before a couple of times on eBay.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 02:18:47 AM »
I have no desire to make money from them either.
I can't get it scanned but I can provide a Solid model in IGES or SAT once I'm satisfied with the results.
I have discovered that the clutch cover is not as round as you think, so I'm trying to make the model as form fitting as possible.
The problem that I see is volume.
If you want to do 100 of them, that will cost a fair amount.
I'm not sure there is that much of a demand for them.
Sure, you could do 10-20 but after that?
I'm just not certain..
Also, the current model I have is for using a kx450f clutch cover for ease of replacement in the event of a crash.
I'm not sure that most would want this option unless they plan on running a oil temp sensor in the second filler hole.
I can make one for a custom cover but I really need to get an idea of which direction people want to go so I know where to put my efforts.
This is our busy time of the year so time is limited.
In case you missed it, here is a link to the thread that a lot of the work has been detailed on:
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11287.0.html
I don't have any other clutch covers right now that I can sell or lend/lease, they are all spoken for.
Motorrad has my only extra cover right now for some cooling experiments.
So let me know which you guys think we should go, custom cover or kx450f cover...

Offline conbread

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 03:02:23 AM »
id say the 450 cover because they are easy to buy and will be around for awhile..and im sure they make nice boysen ones to match the flywheel covers..

Offline mlstoner660

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »
Yeah I'd say the 450 cover. Like you said sandblaster it would be a lot easier to replace in the event of a crash and I'm sure there's all kinds of trick ones out there to give it that extra flash if you wanted it.
minor set backs bring major come backs