Author Topic: Timing Question?  (Read 8831 times)

Offline KXcam22

Timing Question?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2004, 05:48:50 AM »
Mun,
  Don't worry about your spelling. It's nice to have guys like you and Doordie part of the family. Besides, your English is far better than my Swedish.  Last time I was in Stockholm the beer was tasty and the girls were very(very) pretty. Cam.

Offline demographic

Timing Question?
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2004, 06:54:45 AM »
Quote from: KXcam22
Mun,
  Don't worry about your spelling. It's nice to have guys like you and Doordie part of the family. Besides, your English is far better than my Swedish.

Seconded :)

It's good to have input from around the world

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Timing Question?
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2004, 01:40:45 PM »
Well, I finished working and installing the PVL ignition. I set it at .090 in, and installing a BR8EIX plug, it starts pretty easy now. First off, the power gains are HUGE in the top, and unlike a 125, with full throttle it jumps instantly into the upper RPM range with explosive type power. The power is so huge that I could not even really handle it on hard packed surfaces...I love it! It is a little harder to start due to the fact that the flywheel is about a 1/4th the weight and size of stock, but all that is required is a serious kick and I mean all weight to the kick.

Wow! This has to be the most power I've ever played with!  :shock: I will get pictures tomarrow.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Timing Question?
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2004, 10:42:20 PM »
KXcam22,

Swedish girls are not only pretty they are nice to if you "behave"! 8)

The girl on pic?s is a very good rider,does Paris-Dakar to and her name is Maria Sandell from Sweden.

By the way if you go to Sweden ,give me a call,means everybody!

gowen,
You can use some Eter to inject at airbox before first kick to. :wink:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

SandToyz

Timing Question?
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 10:22:39 AM »
Quote from: doordie
KXcam22,

Swedish girls are not only pretty they are nice to if you "behave"! 8)

The girl on pic?s is a very good rider,does Paris-Dakar to and her name is Maria Sandell from Sweden.

By the way if you go to Sweden ,give me a call,means everybody!

gowen,
You can use some Eter to inject at airbox before first kick to. :wink:

//doordie

From what i learned from another type of bikes if you have an issue with starting the bike it is because the timing...give it try and see..retired the timing to .085 or .08 and see..also if you feel the kicker kick back when you try to fire the bike...i'm sure the timing is too high. go down and see.
(sorry for my english)

Offline Rotorised

Re: Timing Question?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 12:52:41 AM »
Hey guys, sorry to bring up and old thread but i have just bought a PVL ignition for my 500 and im a bit lost on setting the timing. Can i just set it to the fully retarded position and keep advancing until no more power gains and then go back a bit for safety? Can anyone tell me how to set the timing with maybe a reference to the edge of adjusting slot to center of tightening screw? Or is it best to just buy a dial indicator and try to set it to about 0.090in, 2.85mm? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Brad

stewart

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 01:22:18 AM »
you will have to  check  the timing  with a  dial  indcator ... follow the directions  from pvl thanks  .stewart
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:09:42 PM by stewart »

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »
ok cheers, I will get an idicator tomorow.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
ok cheers, I will get an idicator tomorow.

It's a good idea, tough lesson to learn if you do not do it right.. Including 2 broken kick starters and 2 pair of boots. Not including the bruises to my foot in the process. Never start with tennis shoes while testing.

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »
Hahaha yeah my foot is no stranger to bruises from the ol 5hunge, if i cant start it within 3 good kicks with the tennis shoes i throw in the towel. Another question, do you guys run the tiny little spark plug cap that comes with the PVL kit? I tried following the instructions and stripped the high tension lead about 32mm then i ended up pretty much stuffing it in the cap as best as i could. It doest look like the best of connections.  :?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 01:31:45 AM »
I used it and it did fine.

Fwiw, when it kicks back it will more than likely break your foot in tennis shoes. I wasn't meaning typical KX500 starting.

Offline don46

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 03:16:28 AM »
I took mine off and threw it in a box, with no keyway it slipped (at least I think it did) and when it kicked back, broke my foot, the kickstarter shaft and the clutch cover case, suprisingly the kicker didn't break. Now I'm running the 89 ignition, it's about as good and starts way easier.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »
So far so good. Haven't had a chance to play with the timing yet (set it to 2.30mm) but is running allot better atm, but that is also due to the fact that my old ignition was stuffed. Had a couple of kickbacks when first starting, scared the bejesus out of me hahaha. But if you kick it with anger it starts nicely  8-)

My clutch has packed it in atm so will give a better report once i have replaced that.