Author Topic: Repair Gas Tank?  (Read 2927 times)

Offline coloradoderek

Repair Gas Tank?
« on: May 25, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
I have a 1989 KX 500 gas tank with 2 cracks in it.
Is there anyway to repair that with some sort of plastic glue?
If not, is there anyone who has one for sale?

Can't ride with a cracked fuel tank! LOL.

Thanks!

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
Re: Repair Gas Tank?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »
harbor freight sells a "plastic welding kit" you could try i think there is already a thread on it
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »
They make a plastic epoxy specific to plastic gas tanks.   I carry it on my cross county rides.   I'll dig it out to find out who and what for ya

Offline coloradoderek

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
Thanks guys!!
are the kit's/epoxy cheap?
If its going to be 40+ to fix it, might as well just buy a new one hehe ;)

Thanks!

Offline jamex

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:09:57 PM »
There is no glue/epoxy that will permanently repair a gas tank, as they are roto-molded or blow molded from polyethylene (nothing sticks to any ethylene plastics permanetly), the only way to repair them is buy using another piece of polyethylene cut into stips & a gas soldering iron with the blow torch attachment, to plastic weld it, you have to vee out the crack & clean around it with alcohol or acetone, then you start to melt the crack from one end, once you see the material starting to gel, introduce the strip of polyethylene & melt (knit) the 2 materials together until you close up the crack.
I've repaired many of my own tanks, but now I take them to a friend of mine's factory who makes roto-molded plastic goods & he does it for me, with a special heat gun with a very small nozzle, I hope this will help. 
Man Was Made From Dirt & To Dirt He Shall Return.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 05:26:42 AM »
When it comes to flammable substances such as gas...save your money and buy a new tank....the best epoxy/repair kit in the world will never be better than an undamaged brand new tank...here's just one of several on-line.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KX500-Gas-Tank-1988-2004-Stock-Size-Fuel-Cell-uses-OEM-Shrouds-Petcock-/360656001469?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f8c5d9bd&vxp=mtr

..for a couple hundred,bolt it on and never worry about it again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:29:26 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ