Author Topic: Project "I needed to clean the air filter so I blew the motor"  (Read 123822 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: Project "I needed to clean the air filter so I blew the motor"
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
I can find comfort in the fact that in all the threads I have going on this site people have been able to discuss and share their thoughts and findings with their own machinery.  One of things that I love about this site is the drama and ego free discussions.  I'm positive that if I had kept a closer eye on my main jet my "Motorrad" built engine would have lasted countless hours of riding.  In the last few months I've ridden everything from Japanese to European, 4stroke, 2stroke, 300cc to 650cc.........and in all that riding I can say this.......My KX500 even when I ran it rich made more power than any of those machines anywhere else in the rpm range.  I'm no longer going to worry about perfect jetting.....I will jet slightly fat on the top end and ride it forever. :wink:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »
Oscar what type of riding do you do?  How would the window be a negative?

I ride everything from desert to single track........I won't be making the final decision on the window.  I'll leave that to Motorrad.  His theory's are much more solid than my own.  Any questions on my engine build should be directed in his direction.  If you read a few pages back on this thread there has been discussion on window and windowless design and different styles of window.  Either way I'm sure I'll be happy with the final product. :-)
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
I've rode my k5's since 2000.
I have played around with jetting chasing numbers for elevation and temp.
Yes, a bad jetted k5 will still pull away from just about any stock bike out there.
But one that is correctly jetted will rip the guts out and stomp all over them.  8-)
In all fairness I couldn't tell a lot of difference on the dirt or sand.
But when I started playing with the street tard jetting became a bit more obvious.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »
I've rode my k5's since 2000.
I have played around with jetting chasing numbers for elevation and temp.
Yes, a bad jetted k5 will still pull away from just about any stock bike out there.
But one that is correctly jetted will rip the guts out and stomp all over them.  8-)
In all fairness I couldn't tell a lot of difference on the dirt or sand.
But when I started playing with the street tard jetting became a bit more obvious.

Difference is this......on dirt you have wheel spin which allows the engine to spool up with less effort......kinda like slipping a clutch...........but with pavement you have no wheel spin which makes the engine work harder to get up to speed......that's why jetting is much more obvious on the road.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »
+1
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »
Digitron.  Takes the guess work out

Offline Mohave

« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
Motorrad I would guess that Kawasaki modded the engines for the 1000...polishing, porting. etc.  But did they use forged pistons that were windowed?  Just curious how far away from stock they got on the top end components?

Sandblaster perfect jetting makes a difference on the street...especially for a 2-stroke.  Nothing like the 500 doing the "surge thing" as you come up on a tight corner after a high speed run while letting off the throttle...can you say "Hi" to the guard rail?

USMC 500...no matter what you end up doing I think this will be the last top end you will need for a long while... :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2013, 03:32:21 AM »
You know what the really cool thing about getting the jetting dialed in on the street?
Then you use the same jetting for your dirt, desert, or sand machine (as long as you are at the same altitude) and you feel what your bike was really meant to do off road.
I completely agree with you Mohave, If your concerned about eating a guard rail on the street because your bike is jetted nicely and you don't know how to compensate for the surge effect then it's probably best to stay with what your comfortable with and stay off the street or run your bike rich.
I for one wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt or damage their bike over anything I have suggested or otherwise.
Life is too precious and short for the trivial.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:43:14 AM by sandblaster »

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2013, 05:31:58 AM »
Are you saying a properly jetted bike will still surge?

Motorrad

« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »
Custom cases with larger main bearings (among other things).  larger main shafts in tranny.    Modded cranks, rods, pistons, heads....  etc etc etc

Motorrad

« Reply #235 on: December 22, 2013, 07:05:42 AM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »
I blew up my motor just so I could post cool stuff like this..... :wink:

Motorrad

« Reply #238 on: December 23, 2013, 09:16:58 AM »
Hmm. When does that guy from NBC to catch a predictor show up and interview usmc500

Offline alward25

« Reply #239 on: December 23, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
I blew up my motor just so I could post cool stuff like this..... :wink:

At least she has Jesus....
"Let there be light"