Author Topic: Project "I needed to clean the air filter so I blew the motor"  (Read 123857 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: Project "I needed to clean the air filter so I blew the motor"
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2013, 04:39:05 AM »
Hey Al......I love you like a brother and I love my brother like some dude I chat with online (if I had a brother that is)............but threatening to "de-flower" my jug is just plain mean. :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline alward25

« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2013, 05:57:26 AM »
Just trying to get u riding faster so u don't have to worry about heat cycles and silly stuff like that.  You know why they don't like marrying virgins in the south?  Because if they are not good enough for thier own family they are not good enough thier's :-D 
"Let there be light"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2013, 06:39:48 AM »
Just trying to get u riding faster so u don't have to worry about heat cycles and silly stuff like that.  You know why they don't like marrying virgins in the south?  Because if they are not good enough for thier own family they are not good enough thier's :-D 

HAHAHAHAHA.........sick...........but funny :lol:
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »
Guess I have to decide how I'm going to mod the pistons now that it's do or die time

Oiling holes on intake and exhaust bridge are a a definite at this point.  Only question is skirt trim and windows

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
If you only had access to a dyno...  :-o
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »
Guess I have to decide how I'm going to mod the pistons now that it's do or die time

Oiling holes on intake and exhaust bridge are a a definite at this point.  Only question is skirt trim and windows

I would say that for now we should leave the window out........you can always yank the top end and cut in a window if we discover its needed but you can't "un-cut" a window if you decided its not needed. 

Offline cbrfrenzie

« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynojet-Model-100-Motorcycle-Dynamometer-Dyno-Dino-/321267561071?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4acd09f26f&vxp=mtr
Not a bad price for a rolling road!!! 

I work as an Electrical Engineer for an EFI controller and Dynamometer manufacturing company.  I have many Dynamometers at my disposal and can do what ever tests you guys want to see!!!  If anyone is interested send me a PM.  I'm even open to weekend visitors!

Our Dynamometer, called the "Axis Dynamometer", is much different than every other Dynamometer out there!  It simulates a REAL WORLD load on the bike, vs. the existing dynamometers on the market that require you set up different load profiles using an "Eddy Current Retarder" to get close to real world engine loading.  Our Dynamometer uses air turbines to generate the load vs. speed characteristic that other Dynamometers are missing.  We can also adjust the steady state load to the engine to adding or removing inertial plates (to simulate a heavier or lighter rider) so we can see the effects of a 100lb boy riding vs a 300lb manly man!   :-D

I work here: http://www.dobeckperformance.com/news/dyno.asp  Check out the link/article and see what you all think.   8-)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2013, 12:48:34 PM »
I think it's a shame you live so stinkin far away (852.72 miles)  :-(
Other then that, COOL  8-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2013, 02:13:44 PM »
I would say that for now we should leave the window out........you can always yank the top end and cut in a window if we discover its needed but you can't "un-cut" a window if you decided its not needed. 

:? :? :?,

Well I guess if you need proof do without then open up cut the hole & realize the gain
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: December 10, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
Or, ride it for a week or two until it blows up and then rebuild with the windowed piston.  :-o
Sorry Oscar, couldn't resist  :lol:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
HATERZ.....ALL OF YOU!! :lol:

There is a gain from having a window......however in speaking with a certain someone, its been discussed that the gain might not really benefit the type of terrain I ride.  Those are just thoughts and theory's for right now though.  In the end I will trust the final decision from he who is controlled by the power of the.............

Offline Mohave

« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »
I ride about 75 to 100 hours of engine time a year, and have owned KX500s for at least 6 maybe 8 years out of 25 or so of riding.  Have had windowed piston and stock.  Different carbs and reeds, spacer, etc.  Currently riding on a stock top end.  What I have found out is that when it comes to this bike it is very tolerant of just about anything, and puts out good power with or without the window (and other mods) and with crappy or perfect jetting.  Have had buddies with so much spooge coming out the back end it wasn't funny.  Some setup the carb perfectly.  We all climb the same hills, haul on the same sandwashes, and just generally have fun.  Bikes can go 3, 4 hundred hours on top ends (with maintenance and good oil) and just don't care unless you go too lean.

Most important thing is to do the maintenance and if you are picky jet it perfect.  If you want to put in a window fine, want to do the carb spacer or different reeds, fine.  In the end all that may help some, but again the most important things you can do is the maintenance and JET the bike RIGHT.

One more thing, the KX500 is the most tolerant bike I have ever know when it comes to lean jetting.  It won't complain much and will run a long time lean before it goes.  Only lost one top end in hundreds of hour of engine time and it was my fault on the main.  If you ride somewhere where you can ring the bike out in 5th for many seconds at a time (I do) go up one or two on the main.  Only Danny Hamel could tell the difference in power and worse case you change the packing in your muffler more.  If you never ring the bike out much (for many seconds at a time) you can live with the top end more lean.

From what I can tell Kawasaki pretty much got this engine right...hard to find anything that could run the 1000 so many times with (from what I know anyways) are somewhat stock motors?  Bottom line Oscar if you ran it with the stock top end and went up on the main one or two sizes you could run that motor hard for years and probably never notice the difference with or without the mods...IMHO.

Motorrad

« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »
There wasn't a single part untouched in the Baja bikes.   No joke.    Even custom cases.  Tranny shafts. Etc. To make em live

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »
Oscar what type of riding do you do?  How would the window be a negative?