Author Topic: Project "I needed to clean the air filter so I blew the motor"  (Read 123679 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
In case you haven't heard by now, Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter" came to a sudden stop during our Dove Springs California ride (http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11645.msg92808.html#msg92808) this past weekend.  Absolutly nothing wrong with the way the motor was built......In this case it was all my error :oops:......

I began the heat cycles after the first build last year in early June so I got a full year of riding out of the motor.....I guar·an·tee  that this motor would have gone much longer had I not brain farted so bad.

For those of you not familiar with my original build you can view it here.....http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8890.msg69112.html#msg69112

Fortunatly for me my engine builder and half brother Motorrad was there.......bet you guys didn't know Dave and I were related :wink:.

So we pulled the motor right then and there so that "The Great Motorradini" could take it home with him and fix my shame......

This thread will be a combination of pictures and "one liners" from Motorrad with myself filling in the details........

And as far as the title goes, since the first build was started by my cleaning of the air filter I figured that to clean the air filter I would need to start at the motor this time...... :lol:

So everyone keep your eyes on this thread.  I was asked if I wanted to keep this "hush, hush".......I am man enough to say that even though I am ashamed about this topic I am not embaressed.......My hope is that eveyone will learn through my experience of what can happen to even the best built motor........So pay attention, ask questions, enjoy and above all......LEARN MY LESSON INSTEAD OF YOUR OWN!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:31:30 AM by USMC 500 »
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
Re: Project "I needed to clean the air filter so I blew the motor"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:28:29 AM »
I thought I should be the one to post up the first picture........My once beautiful Wossner revealed upon removal of the jug.....

"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
ohhhh poor k5 hope motorrad gets her back up an running like new again for you.
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »
OK so lesson #1......

I like my bikes looking good so I wash them after every ride.......not a good idea.  I think I'm gonna stick to wipe down's with a wet rag.....My head studs and cylider studs looked brand new when the motor was assembled....Look at them now.

Try not to make a habit of hosing your machinery down on a regular basis and when you do make sure you start it up and get everything nice and warm.

Next item........the benifits of polishing your combustion chamber.....here is mine after 1 year of riding and this is what it looks like after wiping it off with a rag.....no cleaners of any sort were used.....only a rag.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:59:55 AM by USMC 500 »

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »
"Thou shalt not run 2 sizes too small main in a 41mm carb on a K5 wide open down fire road with s**tty oil."     - ˭M˭  3:16

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
"Thou shalt not wash bike so much as water creaps down stud threads and rusts them out.  Warm bike up after washing to cook off excess water in hidden places"     - ˭M˭  19:19

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
"Thou shalt not run 2 sizes too small main in a 41mm carb on a K5 wide open down fire road with s**tty oil."     - ˭M˭  3:16

Dave.....for all those who may be running the Maxima mix like I was, could you please explain the whole "flashpoint" thing and why it affects the K5 so much. :-D

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 12:33:03 PM »
"Thou shalt not wash bike so much as water creaps down stud threads and rusts them out.  Warm bike up after washing to cook off excess water in hidden places"     - ˭M˭  19:19

I learned this the hard way years ago. I had the same exact bike as my dad, and he would wash his bike after every ride and I would not (not due to knowledge, due to lazyness). Pulled the heads off and mine looked new and his was a rust bucket. Here was how we dealt with it from then on out. Wash the bike every 3 rides or so, not every ride; only wash on a warm day, start in the morning so it can dry out all day; take a yard blower (more volume, less pressure than your air hose so you won't go blowing water into places you don't want to) and spend a few minutes getting rid of excess water; fire the bike up and cook all the remaining water out of it; and lastly, spray the whole bike (minus brakes, wheels, seat, etc.) with WD 40. The WD 40 will prevent rust, and keep things looking new.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
So what's it looking like?
Plate and piston or worse?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »
So what's it looking like?
Plate and piston or worse?

Definitly piston......possible plate.........no other damage than that.........I shut her down just as I felt it starting to stick.

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
Alum is supposed to stay on the piston.    :roll:

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:15:43 PM »
OK so lesson #1......

I like my bikes looking good so I wash them after every ride.......not a good idea.  I think I'm gonna stick to wipe down's with a wet rag.....My head studs and cylider studs looked brand new when the motor was assembled....Look at them now.

Windex is your friend.    (corn whiskey foreshots off your home STILL  work even better  :lol: )

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »
"Thou shalt not run 2 sizes too small main in a 41mm carb on a K5 wide open down fire road with s**tty oil."     - ˭M˭  3:16

Dave.....for all those who may be running the Maxima mix like I was, could you please explain the whole "flashpoint" thing and why it affects the K5 so much. :-D

look at the flashpoint of your oil.....   then know that K5's develop a 230-265+ deg trend on CHT's. (on the pipe)..  

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
It will be interesting to see what my Sand bike looks like when I finally build the motor.
It has been washed after every ride and it's 14 years old.....  :-o
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »
This thread should be re-named   "I was to worried about my airfilter, and forgot about my jetting"