Author Topic: Project "I needed to clean the air filter so I blew the motor"  (Read 123659 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Project "I needed to clean the air filter so I blew the motor"
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
A X-member told me that very same thing, that the window was too big...
I dismissed it out of hand but you have my attention...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
A X-member told me that very same thing, that the window was too big...
I dismissed it out of hand but you have my attention...

I think I have a good idea of changing it.    would involve re-location.   idea came from some of BDI's secret squirel  porting...   insted of porting the added ports into the jug....   put them in the piston..    more to come.

stewarts piston port area    1.003sqin

my idea    .72sq in    and it would free and clear the boost ports...  

so roughly 75% size

if you dig HARD...  I commented on this design to said builder back when he first came up with it..  :wink:    but like many.. I drank the Koolaid, and listened to him, instead of myself.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:32:17 PM by Motorrad »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »
OOOHHHHHH!!  I love being the guinea pig for cool ideas!!!      :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
I guess my theory is... why would one add a piston port right in the middle of a Rear boost port...   causing the intake charge to go to the crank case, instead of a direct path to where it needs to go....

I hope people jump in on this discussion.    Im not a one man band here.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
I'll be getting my piston out tomorrow and putting it into my cylinder so I can visualize what your saying.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
I'll be getting my piston out tomorrow and putting it into my cylinder so I can visualize what your saying.

im cutting a piston right now as we speak   (had to brush alum shavings off the laptop just to type this)

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »
OOOHHHHHH!!  I love being the guinea pig for cool ideas!!!      :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

have you ever thought about using "engine ice" in the coolant system?? i tryed it,as i had cooling problems with my kx360 big bore and it solved my problem...  :-)

i take my jetting always on the safer side with a smart little bit to rich and i never blown up an engine in my live  . actual  k5 main jet 162 , but this is for mx only in my needs!

for long highsppeed distance like you did in the desert, i think 175 or bigger main!!  in similar engines can be needed diferent jettings . caused of riders attitude,is the right gas in the tank?? which carb or exhaust is installed, which kind of air filter is used. i found out, that twin-air-filters have more airflow than stock-airfilters for example..

important:  always take a look at the spark plug!!...

if high-octane-racefuel is used,needs complete different jetting than the 98 octane-super plus gas.

my ´97 kx250 has a 172  in it and was running perfekt in all conditions with dep-exhaust and twin-airfilter . the new owner was falling in love after first ride  :-D

in my gasgas ec300 that i had a few yours ago, i ran 178 for mx and a 190 main was needed for street use and highspeed-offroad .
if the engine is jetted right, offers the fuel a little bit cooling extra . if its to lean jetted its heating up more and also to less lubrication,caused of the to small main jet !! and if you ignore to long the lean motorsound its heating up to much and....kaboom... . 

and here is my cool guinea-pig ... yo  :-D
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Motorrad

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
thats not just a cool guinnie pig... thats a badass guinie pig...

here is a VERY VERY crude drawing of what Im talking about...      live with it.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:26:54 PM by Motorrad »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »

im cutting a piston right now as we speak   (had to brush alum shavings off the laptop just to type this)

Dr. Motorrad, Mad Scientist at work!!!
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »

here is a VERY VERY crude drawing of what Im talking about...      live with it.

Ok, got it now.
I never put my piston in and checked out how the window was lining up.

Too funny, thanks for the laugh  :lol:

Motorrad

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »

I see your just as good at photoshop as I am.   :roll:  :lol:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:27 PM »

I better be good at something.....especially since I couldn't even jet my bike right. :-P

Motorrad

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
my theory on how air will travel.    (look at arrows in middle section.. and imagine if there was a big hole cut in the piston... how that would starve the rear boost port (which is at the top of the middle section), and the floor ports...     making the air travel MUCH further than it has to to get to the comb chamber)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:42:11 PM by Motorrad »

Offline alward25

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
I guess my theory is... why would one add a piston port right in the middle of a Rear boost port...   causing the intake charge to go to the crank case, instead of a direct path to where it needs to go....

I hope people jump in on this discussion.    Im not a one man band here.

Don't know, but it dyno proved 3 hp to have it.  How does a posi track rear end work on a Plymouth, it just does );
"Let there be light"

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »

the pic is amazing reality...  :lol: :lol:

the badass-guinea-pigs- at home ... trespassers will be bite in hand or have to pay with food... :lol:

big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---