Author Topic: Kx500 resurrection  (Read 2064 times)

Offline oldpablo

Kx500 resurrection
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »
Hello purveyors of the Kx500,
I have just recently started back up on my 88 k5 rebuild after 15 years. This bike was my primary moto for a few years back when I lived in the sierras. The rebuild started when I sent the barrel to be sleeved and striped down frame to be powder coated by a friend. When the suspension was redone, I was told that the shock body was too worn. Since this was before I knew what the web was, I was pretty much going through the yellow pages and ads in the back of Dirt Rider to try to find parts. Since I was needing to ride bad, I went and bought a 97kx250. A year or so later, I picked up a 91k5 chassis to use to morph the two and make a runner. So about two weeks ago, I put them in the middle of my shop floor and an going to see what happens. I toyed with put the 88 motor in 91 but the beautifully powder coated frame of 88 won as of now. Now I have the 91 front and rear suspension on 88 frame and motor. Apparently I missed it being an exact fit by a year or so. Wonder if anybody has put the later rear setup on an 88. Also looking for pre start up advice for a freshly sleeved motor that has sat for 15 years. Any other advice or encouragement is always graciously accepted.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Kx500 resurrection
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
Hey Pablo,
 Welcome to the site,  Quite a few of "The Regulars" are of on some doggone adventure and won't be back
for a few days. 
  I am no expert, but firing up the old girl after being in long storage doesn't seem too far removed from
a current re-build.  (I would Think) 
 Getting the pre-mix moving down in the mains and cyl wall would be my concern.
The easiest way I can think of doing that is to pull the plug and run the kicker through until you have some mix showing up.   
I Lay a paper towel over the plug hole watch for the fuel.
  CAUTION:  I have seen the results of not holding in the kill button and the bike catching fire.
A friend of mine dropped off his kids pw80 and it looked really bad...He said he was checking for spark on the cyl head while his kid kicked over the bike...Whoof!  Almost as bad as the desert scene in On Any Sunday, but I Digress!
  The ignition system is absolutely able to light off the fuel as it spits out the plug hole if left uncovered and not shunted or grounded out (Kill Switch/Button)...

After you see the fuel showing up on the paper towel, wait a few moments for the excess fuel to evaporate, reinstall your plug and get ready for your break-in. 
   That's how I would get things lubed up and ready for start.
You might also post the question on how to proceed in another thread, I'm thinking you'll get some better help and some more attention!!
    Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:26:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Ideally I would like to see the cylinder come off (Leave the head attached to the cylinder) and lubricate the wrist pin bearing and the crank main bearings.
You can pre-oil the mains through these ports at the top of your cases.

If you don't want to go through the hassle, Tucks idea is great.
Do watch the sparks.... I turned a bike into a bonfire years ago  :-D
I did get it out before it did much more then singe the plastics and seat cover.....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:31:32 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline oldpablo

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »
Fired her up yesterday. Took only 3 kicks! Also was sure to have kill in when kicking over with plug out. That was some very sound advice. Thank you.