Author Topic: California ride Dove Springs  (Read 12664 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
California ride Dove Springs
« on: May 19, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
This ride that took place over a 3 day period was bitter sweet for me.  The low point of the weekend was when I made a common stupid rookie mistake and didn't pay atttention to my jetting.......This error resulted in a siezed engine.  I first started this engine last year on June 10th following its rebuild and yesterday almost 1 year later I locked her up........so on to the ride report.......

Shlepy arrived at my house early Friday morning and we set off to meet Motorrad at Dove Springs.  Once we got there we set up camp and fired up the bikes.  We spent the rest of Friday exploring and riding the vast desert.  Lots of fun and lots of good trails.  We finished our ride on Friday about mid afternoon and spent the rest of the day bench racing and goofing around with Motorrads RC cars.  On a side note, it is an amazing thing to watch an RC car beat Raptor 700's up a steep long hill climb over and over again :-D.

Our new friend ELRUKO arrived late on Friday night and it was an honor to meet him......As it turns out ELRUKO and I know MANY of the same people down in baja including family......small world.  Again there was more bench racing by the campfire and lots of good humor.  

The next day we all made our way up to McIvers cabin.  You get alot of attention from everyone when they see 4 KX500's screaming by.  We made it up to McIvers and hung out for a while.......Before we left we had to fill in our names into the log book and take some photos.  It was on the way back when I pulled my bone head error.......The ride to and from McIvers is made up of tight technical trails but there is a very long wide fireroad that you have to take from the camp site to get to the trail leading up to the cabin.......This is the road on the way back that I decided to open her up........I was not on it for very long but I picked up speed very quick and just as everything began to blur from the high speed the engine began to lose power and drag down........I immidiatly pulled the clutch in and went for the kill botton........too late.  All the other boys caught up with me and right away pulled together to help me out........A big thanks to ELRUKO for giving me a tow back to camp.  Once back to camp we found 2-Stroke Tom had arrived and we got to meet him.......While at camp I pulled the plug to inspect and sure as death and taxes, I was lean.  I was pretty down so I told the boys to keep riding since I had to run home to pick up MRS. USMC 500 and they said no way......Shlepy had his YZ250F that Motorrad rode during our Gorman ride and I was "ENCOURAGED" by the group to get my ass on the bike and keep riding.  So I did as I was told and I rode off again with the boys.  

So this is where things get interesting again.......first off the shock of going from a KX500 to a YZ250F is too much for the body and mind to accept.  It took alot of hard painful miles to come to terms with the Yamaha.  After we stopped for a break I was more exhausted riding that 250 4t than I was riding my 500 2t!!.....I fought that bike all the way through the deep sand washes we rode through.....that bike would not hold and line, was super twitchy, and the suspension was beating me to death......As it turns out nobody checked the tire pressure of the bike and there had to be about 40 PSI of pressure in both tires!! :-o :-o....So we dropped the air pressure in the tires and off we went......100% BETTER!!!........Now that the bike was set up correct I was able to get a feel for the bike and actually hang with all the KX500's........Another side note, I feel like a fool riding a YZ250F along side 4 other KX500's. :|.........But regardless, a big thanks to Shlepy for keeping me on 2 wheels.  We found another route that took us back to camp and on that ride I found myself screaming that 250 and enjoying it!!  Only thing is I needed at least another gear!!  I had to shift 3 times before all the K5's even shifted into second and on top I was screaming the engine while the K5's lugged along.  Once back at camp I headed out to pick up wifey and the boys fired up the grill.  When I got back to camp I went for another ride only this time my machine was much smaller..........There is nothing like screaming a 2t blender while making Margaritas!! :lol:

More bench racing, more drinking, more good times.  Since everyone who showed up was a desert rat we were able to exchange stories and experiences that we could all relate to.

First thing I did this morning was remove the engine from my bike with the help from all the guys.  Lucky for me Motorrad offered to look into it and said that he would do what he could.  Motorrad and 2-Stroke Tom split on a ride and I took the wifey on a trail ride that was within her riding level.  We ended the weekend about mid day and before we packed up we lined the bikes up for a good photo.......Not since the 90's during Team Green glory have I seen 5 KX500's in the same area.  We all said our good bye's and went on our way.  

Overall this weekend on a scale of 1-10 rated a solid 9......If it wasn't for my motor issue and the windy conditions this ride would have rated a 10 :wink:.  Normaly I would have lost my mind with my engine problems but the good company really lifted my spirits and I was able to recover the weekend.  

A big load of gratitude to all who showed up, helped out and shared the good times.  I hope that when they get a chance they will all post up their versions of their weekend and post up any photos that they may have taken.  I haven't even unloaded my truck yet and already I can't wait for the next ride.  Till then, everyone keep the rubber side down and for crying out loud...DON'T GET LAZY WITH YOUR JETTING!!! 8-)

4 KX500's staged at McIvers Cabin, 2 of them with California plates........I bet this has never happened before

Some of the Desert Rats of KXRiders!!

KXRiders have left their mark on McIvers Cabin for the second time!!

Taking a break on the trail Shlepy wishes he had a side stand like Motorrad and USMC 500 :roll:

video of the best machine I've ever ridden!!
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10201267895083836
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:52:01 PM by USMC 500 »
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: California ride Dove Springs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:50:14 PM »
I've only seen 3 kx500s in one place at one time and that's cause they are all mine  :-)
Sounds like you guys had fun...
Wish I could have showed up and added to the collection....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
I've only seen 3 kx500s in one place at one time and that's cause they are all mine  :-)
Sounds like you guys had fun...
Wish I could have showed up and added to the collection....

how about 5 of em?

More pics to come... as soon as I wash off the Stink..

Direct link to the picture, if you want to see a larger version of the ugly people..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a289/Motorrad/DSC_7816_zps4b4b79d0.jpg

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:12:33 PM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
some more peeeektures.

Huck some gaps BRO.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:51:57 PM by Motorrad »

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
Looks like fun, I'm jelous
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
Oscar said all that is to be said...was a great weekend even with the wind special thanks to Mr M for letting my girls play with the RC car was nice to meet you ELRUKO and Two Stroke Tom very nice indeed Oh ya Oscar Jazzy is great girl Tammy really liked spending time with here and so did I!!! :-D

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »
pics cant get them to post all at once :oops:

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »
more

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 03:25:53 AM »
Well, looks like we all made it back safe and that's what's most important. I just wanted to give some props to this crew who made this trip happen. I've never met any of these guys and you couldn't find a better group of riding buddies. To me, camping in the desert for one night with a group is the best way to get to know people. The group's vibe was like we were all old riding pals who had been going camping/riding forever.

Shlepy - You and you family are great people. Tremendously generous (he and his wife handed me a top notch new york steak dinner, even though I wasn't originally planning on being there that night!), and it was a pleasure to see someone who raised kids who want to actually ride all of the time instead of just lope out in the trailer.

USMC 500 - It was a great pleasure to meet you and Jasmine, you are great people too. Although when we first met your 500 just got hurt, you impressed me with your high spirits and good sense of humor the whole time. It was also REALLY cool to hear old Team Green stories from someone who was on the inside. You stuck it out, we got to go on a group ride and you even had the drive to pull your motor out in camp to get your bike up an running that much quicker.

Motorrad - Another great dude, and what a pleasure to finally meet you in person. Picking your brain about motors and the campfire chats about all of our desert stories was awesome. You had the whole group entertained the entire weekend with mechanical knowledge, RC cars, and cool stories. Also, I had a great time on the last ride of the day yesterday. I wish someone had footage of us both ripping down some of those trails with the 500's singing.

Elruko - A great dude too! I felt like I was hanging out with one of my D-37 club members from back in the day. He wins the record for the most history on a KX500 than anyone I've ever known, and he has Baja footage to prove it! I was great hanging out with you, and spending time with someone who really appreciates being in the desert. Also, Elruko's appreciation for high performance didn't stop on his KX500. His FMF exhaust equipped blender made us all appreciate the day that much more!!

Until we all ride again, have a great week fellas!

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 04:27:50 AM »
MR 2PokeTom.     Elruko.            Was a  pleasure. and hope to ride with you boys for many years to come

Boy Im glad oscar is a good story teller.     I sure as hell aint.

Offline conbread

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »
wow what dream it would be to come hang and ride with u guys for 3 days.. i wouldnt know how to act with out any trees in the way!!!

Offline ELRUKO

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
I told my friends I had an internet "DATE"...  Yea, some people I read on the KX500 blog.  Lots of info on my favorite bike.  I started riding the KX500 in "93" when I was a younger man.  So, I didn't get the word until page 14 on the thread.  Hey, I can go that weekend!  I have been to Dove Springs before, but didn't really like it.  One time it was below freezing, the other a Memorial Weekend at 105!!!  Great opportunity to meet some other KX guys anyway. 

No surprise they are just like me.  We had great time.  Too much wind this time, but the alternative was 105.  This was a great last weekend of desert season.

Thanks to all for the hospitality.  I got 4 new riding buddys.  Well, at 57 I am running out of them, and no one rides a KX500!!!  I will admit, I opted for the compression release, I wish I could remember to use it...  No electric start for me.  My other rule is if you can't load and unload your bike by yourself, you can't go anymore!  Get the thread started for a fall ride, it is certainly worth it!  I'm IN!!!   Your friend  Don

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
Can't say enough about Dave, Tim, Ryan and Don!!!  Some of the finest gentlemen and desert rats I've every had the pleasure of hanging out with..........There will be more rides boys, I promise that much!! :wink:
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »
your video still doesnt work

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »
your video still doesnt work

Its on Jasmin's phone......she uploaded it to facebook......you have to have a facebook account to see it......sux, I know.  I'm gonna try to extract the video once she gets home.