Author Topic: tip for easier clutch pull  (Read 9028 times)

Offline powerfreak88

tip for easier clutch pull
« on: May 10, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »
Just thought I would share this everybody. I recently replaced my levers and clutch cable with a parts unlimited power lever set(12 bucks) and a motion pro ultra smooth clutch cable(30 bucks).                                                                                                         Before the swap my clutch was pretty stiff despite having a new clutch kit and constantly lubing the cable. When installing the new motion pro i removed the clutch arm and coated it with a thin layer of waterproof bearing grease and also the little notch where the cable goes into the arm.
While installing the lever I also coated the pivot bolt and the holes in the lever. This may all seem like common sense but I'm tellin ya the difference is night and day. I think I reduced my clutch pull by about 50%. I have my buddys 03 kx250 in my garage right now and mine is easier to pull than his. Hope this helps somebody  :-D        P.S. For 12 bucks the levers are an awesome buy. They are black and look good on my bike. Already survived a crash and a couple of tip overs  :-o    
Too much power. Blah I've never heard of such nonsense. Twist the throttle and quit your whining.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
Re: tip for easier clutch pull
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:17:45 AM »
this is what everybody should do on the clutch system. a little bit grease at the right place is sometimes the only tuning, that is needed...  :-D 

my k5 engine has stronger clutch springs, which made the cable-actuation to a little adventure for the left hand anytime.. so i decided to bolt on a hydraulic-clutch-pull-system. i need only one finger to pull the lever...  :mrgreen:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »
Making your fingers stronger helps too  :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 05:43:05 PM »
Making your fingers stronger helps too  :-)

:-D... thats what i´ve done before the hydraulic clutch bolted on...

Offline powerfreak88

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22:46 PM »
Hydraulic clutch now that would be sweet. I have never owned a bike that had one. Might have to start buttering up my wife to get one of those.  :-o
Too much power. Blah I've never heard of such nonsense. Twist the throttle and quit your whining.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:55:27 AM »
there are 2 systems on the market : magura  and  hebo .
magura is filled with mineral oil. in the hebo-system is brake fluid dot4

i used the hebo-hydraulic since over then years without problems on my 250 and now its on the 500, because the 250 is even easy to pull with the oem-cable .  :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline just ben

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »
thanks for the tip :roll:

Offline 5hunrooster

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »
Wow sandblaster, what all have you done to clutch system to achieve a pull like that?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
Well, I eat lots of bacon  :lol:
That is a 13 year old clutch cable and hasn't been touched since the after market clutch lever was installed 12 years ago.

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »
Pppft.  Here is a video for ya

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
Yes, but mine was a impromptu field test out on the dunes, not staged, with a hand model, and in a carefully controlled environment  :-P
I mean, how do we know your cable was even hooked up to anything but a weak spring  :evil:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
I guess I better drop in my modded Yodarad extended clutch arm and cut back on the bacon.  :|

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
I guess I better drop in my modded Yodarad extended clutch arm and cut back on the bacon.  :|

after the change of the clutch actuation arm in 88 are all k5-clutches much easier to pull as in the years before...  :-)

i could the clutch of my 97 kx250 always pull with only one finger . only mod it needed: cleaning the cable with brake-cleaner , a little bit wd40 on it and a little bit grease to the clutch actuation arm and clutch lever...

the hydraulic was a little bling bling to the 250 and in the moment a must have on my ´86 k5 engine...  :mrgreen:

Motorrad

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
Yes, but mine was a impromptu field test out on the dunes, not staged, with a hand model, and in a carefully controlled environment  :-P
I mean, how do we know your cable was even hooked up to anything but a weak spring  :evil:

Simple n like the moon landing.   It's Easyer to go there.   Than to fake it