Author Topic: KX500 Kickstart - damage control  (Read 20411 times)

Offline don46

Re: KX500 Kickstart - damage control
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 02:59:29 AM »
I have had some nasty bruises, nothing like that though. I would second the option on the compression release, kicks over much easier, of course then you may be tempted to start it with your tennis shoes. The old european bikes that kicked on the left beat me many times but never broke skin, I hate left kickers.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline alward25

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 04:17:28 AM »
I have had some nasty bruises, nothing like that though. I would second the option on the compression release, kicks over much easier, of course then you may be tempted to start it with your tennis shoes. The old european bikes that kicked on the left beat me many times but never broke skin, I hate left kickers.
+2 on the left kicker.  It is just not natural :-o  Hope you have a quick recovery!
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
+2 on the left kicker.  It is just not natural :-o  Hope you have a quick recovery!

Im of the opposite oppinion.

EVERYTHING should be a left kick      the right kick stuff drives me nuts.

Offline alward25

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 05:24:24 AM »

Im of the opposite oppinion.

EVERYTHING should be a left kick      the right kick stuff drives me nuts.

Well, We all know you are nuts..... :-o
"Let there be light"

Offline wierdo

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »
bloody good reason to have a electric starter,my right knee is F....D (reconstructed), i've always dreaded the "kick back" or running my shin down the foot peg, its lurking in the back of the old head when ever i have to kick anything over.

Offline ELRUKO

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 05:11:23 PM »
The 81 YZ 465 ripped a new pair of tennis shoes... The 83 CR 480 with the left kicker was sweet!  Kick in sandals...  Well, that was a long time ago.  Had a K5 since 93.  But now, I have a compression release!!!  Never thought I would need it... times change.  NO electric starters in my future at 57, though is would seem tempting.

Motorrad

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »
next project.    turn the K5 into a left hand kick.   how it should have been..

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 05:09:14 AM »
Not to knock the decompresor but I just got bit by one.

Kicked it once , no fire.

Kicked it the second time, lit just enough to pop the decomp but not enough that I heard the "fire"

Kicked the 3rd time , shredded my shin on the footpeg because I thought it'd be a nice easy kick & it wasnt

I imagine if you get used to them they work all right but I think consistency is better, least you know what to expect anyway.

Hope your leg heals up quick , that is one nasty looking wound. Thanks for posting that up too, I'm bad for riding in tenny's a good reminder of why not to do it is a good thing
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Motorrad

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 05:46:02 AM »
Not to knock the decompresor but I just got bit by one.

Kicked it once , no fire.

Kicked it the second time, lit just enough to pop the decomp but not enough that I heard the "fire"

Kicked the 3rd time , shredded my shin on the footpeg because I thought it'd be a nice easy kick & it wasnt

I imagine if you get used to them they work all right but I think consistency is better, least you know what to expect anyway.

Hope your leg heals up quick , that is one nasty looking wound. Thanks for posting that up too, I'm bad for riding in tenny's a good reminder of why not to do it is a good thing

gotta reset them EVERY time.                 and if your not going past TDC before you kick... . :|

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »
next project.    turn the K5 into a left hand kick.   how it should have been..

maico 2012/2013.. still as 250 , 320 and 500.. 8-)
... but i personally dont like lefthand kickers. if you go down or engine dies in a difficult section, you must kick with left foot, if you dont want to leave the seat for kicking. and this eats the time for a possible better finish in a race...  :|

http://maico-bikeworld.de/catalog/index.php?cPath=31

big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
that is a sick bike I remember when they came out there was also a 700 2t I could never get used to the lefty kick even though my dad had bsa tri nort al the old time desert sleds.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
the 700cc is an zabel-sidecar-engine. in first it came out as super moto bike a few years ago . as maico 620 (618cc) and as maico 700 (685cc). :-)

since the maisch brothers are out of business in the late ´80s were the maico engines produced by german sidecar tuner friedhelm zabel with his own labels for sidecars and with maico-labels for the new maico manufacturers that came over the time .  8-)

maico =  mai(sch) + co .

as far as i know all maicos with 400cc and bigger engines had decomp-release in stock  8-)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
685 Maico 2T 82 HP?
Oh yeah I want one  :lol:

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »
685 Maico 2T 82 HP?
Oh yeah I want one  :lol:

...you crazy dune-racer...  :lol: ... i think in the right hands this bike is the ultimate weapon in the dunes...  8-)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
Sorry to hijack this thread...
I'm done racing....... but throwing lots of sand into the air is still really fun.
I'm sure that bike could make me smiles.
But then so would something built by  ˭M˭otorrad  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.