Author Topic: Two Part Clutch Cover  (Read 10363 times)

Offline jamex

Re: Two Part Clutch Cover
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
Hi Guys, I agree with Sandblaster & you all on the 450 cover & will pursue that route, going to order a new 500 cover once I receive it, I'll start the mod, does anybody have an old 450 cover that I can buy & does it use a gasket or an o-ring, I would prefer to use an o-ring, because if you cook your clutch on a trail, at least with an o-ring you can open it , snap a clutch plate in two, repack the clutchpack & ride on without having to worry about a gasket tearing.
Man Was Made From Dirt & To Dirt He Shall Return.

Offline don46

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 03:10:58 AM »
The stock Kawasaki 450 clutch cover gaskets have a metal core, similar to the 500 base gasket, they typically do not tear, I say typically because I've never torn one.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Motorrad

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 03:18:40 AM »
I still want one like destrys

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 05:04:00 AM »
Hi Guys, I agree with Sandblaster & you all on the 450 cover & will pursue that route, going to order a new 500 cover once I receive it, I'll start the mod, does anybody have an old 450 cover that I can buy & does it use a gasket or an o-ring, I would prefer to use an o-ring, because if you cook your clutch on a trail, at least with an o-ring you can open it , snap a clutch plate in two, repack the clutchpack & ride on without having to worry about a gasket tearing.

I did a Rekluse install on my 450f,, so I have a spare 450f cover sitting on the self.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline brooksie

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »
There was an original two part SR clutch cover for sale on Kijiji  think, some time ago. I saved the add i think. I'll see if the seller managed to sell it. He was asking $$$ for it. I'd be interested in a casing if it wasn't the 450 job.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
anyone thought of making an 2peace hybrid-cover for the k5 with an modern 125 cover (engines from middle ´90´s and newer)?? , cause the k5 had always the smaller clutch-basket as the later 250´s and 450´s . i have no 125 parts to compare it,  , but i think it will be a genius look, if the diameters of the clutch-housings are similar and could welded together , to get the oem-look. 
i also think the stock ´88-´89 kx250 clutch-cover could also be cutted and used for the k5-mod ..

sandblaster, what says the man of steel to my ideas?  which one could be done??  8-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Motorrad

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:05 AM »
I see this as being $$ even from china..   with all the Detail work with the waterpump area.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »
anyone thought of making an 2peace hybrid-cover for the k5 with an modern 125 cover (engines from middle ´90´s and newer)?? , cause the k5 had always the smaller clutch-basket as the later 250´s and 450´s . i have no 125 parts to compare it,  , but i think it will be a genius look, if the diameters of the clutch-housings are similar and could welded together , to get the oem-look. 
i also think the stock ´88-´89 kx250 clutch-cover could also be cutted and used for the k5-mod ..

sandblaster, what says the man of steel to my ideas?  which one could be done??  8-)

We directly compared the inner clutch covers from 125's and 250's of several years to the KX500.
Yes, the basket area is big enough but the rest is way too small...
Could it be made to work?
With enough time and money but, I think you would be better off making one from scratch.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »

We directly compared the inner clutch covers from 125's and 250's of several years to the KX500.
Yes, the basket area is big enough but the rest is way too small...
Could it be made to work?
With enough time and money but, I think you would be better off making one from scratch.

thanks sandblaster.. i knew that you have all parts for comparing and measuring   :-)... my thinking is to buy an cheap and good used 125 or 250 cover. cutting, welding , mashining, polishing to get my old k5-cover to an oem-look 2 peace-cover . if it could be done like i think, is it worth the lots of work.  :-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---