Author Topic: Back to green  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Miscreant317

Back to green
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »
I haven't rode for many years, but my kids are racing 50s. I'm picking up a locked up 1998 kx250 later today with hopes of building up a halfway decent bike. I expect I will wish I had bought new by the time I'm finished but what the hell I love a project.

Right now I am looking for the options. I plan on rebuilding the motor completely of course and probably send it over to EG for some work (He did my last KX way back in 1997 after I bought it new) I would love to move the engine to a little newer frame for an upgraded look.
What steel frames will this engine drop into? I'm a decent welder and don't mind moving/fabbing brackets. No desire to go aluminum.
How many parts from the old bike would carry over without having to replace with the newer?
What is the suspension interchange? Certain year KX450f/250f stuff bolt right on?
What years will the wheels from the '98 fit on?

Offline kxpegger

Re: Back to green
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Good luck with your project bike. I'm thinking someone around here may be able to answer some of your questions but that would not be me!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
Welcome back to green!
Many of the answers to your questions will depend on what year and size chassis your hoping to go to.
Any idea's?
Wheels on a 98?
You can use 89-02 kx250, 89-04 kx500, and you can use 125 front wheels but the rears use a smaller rim width.
I have compiled a bunch of 250 info here:
http://www.oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX250BIKEID.shtml
Your fun is just beginning  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Miscreant317

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:59 AM »
Thanks guys. I've had time to start digging into things here and on the Kawasaki 2-stroke forum on TT and have a better grasp on what I'm doing now.
For the time being I've decided to just get the bike fixed up and running stock and go from there. I wanted to stick the engine in an 03-04 frame for the better handling but it seems those year frames aren't easy to locate so I'm just going with the '98 frame for now and see what pops up later.
Starting to strip the bike down to the frame. The last owner never washed a thing and this bike is disgusting but so far most of it seems to be in surprisingly good shape under the grime. The bike sat in a barn for awhile and the cylinder is locked up. I've got the head off and the cylinder bolts and PV link out and the piston is rusted to the cylinder so I'm soaking in PB Blaster for a couple days before I try to force it loose. I'm sure the Nikasil will be pitted from the rust so I am trying to decide between just getting it plated or having Eric Gorr work his magic with a 295 kit. I'm also certainly going to want a new crank, seals and all bearings.
The oil in the thing looked great and the coolant was perfectly clear blue when I drained it. I haven't found anything broken/missing except the whole front brake assembly is missing and the clutch lever and cables are trashed. It is pretty much bone stock except bars and stickers.
Once I get going and get more pics of progress I'll start a build thread.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:18:02 AM by Miscreant317 »