Author Topic: Stock Hubs Clear Coated?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline riproost

Stock Hubs Clear Coated?
« on: April 27, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
Just got done blasting  a set of hubs and was wondering if I should have a clear powdercoat put on them.
Question is did stock hubs have a coating on them or were they bare :?
RipRoost

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Stock Hubs Clear Coated?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
Hey Rip, as far as I can tell from 89 and up they were just raw aluminum (Al-lu-min-e-um if your in the uk :-) )
That is interesting that you ask that because I have a set of hubs that I was thinking of doing the same thing to for my SM project.
I was even thinking about polishing them first, then clear powder coating, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up on the polished surface.
Hopefully someone here has tried it.....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alward25

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »
it would hold up great!  Common practice to polish and clear powder coat.  You got a buddy that powdercoats? 
"Let there be light"

Offline riproost

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
There is a business a few miles from me that powder coats. They did my frame and a couple other pieces for this build.
I was thinking I was ready to start lacing my wheels and the  clear powder coat butterflies started floating around in my head 8-).
Guess I'll stop in the first of the week and talk to 'em.
RipRoost

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 05:57:30 PM »
I do powdercoating on the side at my cousins shop. He has 2 ovens and I have free rein. Just did a KTM bright freaking orange!
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
As a matter of fact I do have a buddy that powder coats.
Thanks for volunteering Alex  :-D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:12:24 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:58:44 PM »
Of course you can clear powder polished metal. Look at almost every set of aluminum wheels. You probably have some sitting in your own driveway. If they aren't coated I would clean them one last time and do those as well as your bike hubs :P

Alward is gonna get busy now. You shouldn't have told everyone you have powder coating abilities lol
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 03:10:02 AM »
Sweet, just don't sandblast them before u try to polish them :-D. I also have chrome powder that looks about like polished aluminum.  I also lace and true wheels,  whaaaat!
"Let there be light"