Author Topic: SoCal KX500 owner & MX'er  (Read 7467 times)

Offline martyestes

SoCal KX500 owner & MX'er
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »
Hey y'all... thought you might enjoy pics of my two smokers.  I've had the 480 since the mid 90's and it is surprisingly good for it's age. The KX is a frame-up resto that I'm still dialing in.  Getting close to where I want it to be  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:06:24 PM by martyestes »

Offline martyestes

Re: SoCal KX500 owner & MX'er
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »
Was going to post this in "my other rides" but saw the NO Kawasakis rule.  Here's one of my other bikes.  Ain't a dirtbike, but a d**n cool Kawi 2stroke.  Sorry for the weird guy in the pic.  Only photo I had handy

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »
I spent lots of time up at the rockstore......and up at newcombs ranch......Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I've spent time exploring the limits of traction in the canyons of beautiful southern cali over the years. :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
Was going to post this in "my other rides" but saw the NO Kawasakis rule.  Here's one of my other bikes.  Ain't a dirtbike, but a d**n cool Kawi 2stroke.  Sorry for the weird guy in the pic.  Only photo I had handy

thats a stupid rule... I took it down.   I believe what danger ment was no Kawasaki MX bikes.. as that is what the forum is for    feel free to toss it in there.

very awesome bike... always wanted one of them

Offline martyestes

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
It is definitely cool and I see you have some oldies too.  Sure could use reed valves ! 

Offline martyestes

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
Yep, I live right at the base of Decker Cyn.  Used to commute into the city every day via Decker, Latigo, etc. Worked at the magazines so I had a great assortment of neat stuff to ride.  Now I just ride my old bikes. They're fun but I'm starting to miss new technology  :cry:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »

thats a stupid rule... I took it down.   I believe what danger ment was no Kawasaki MX bikes.. as that is what the forum is for    feel free to toss it in there.

very awesome bike... always wanted one of them

You always want one of everything........you have a california plated K5!!.......are you never satisfied?!
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
Yep, I live right at the base of Decker Cyn.  Used to commute into the city every day via Decker, Latigo, etc. Worked at the magazines so I had a great assortment of neat stuff to ride.  Now I just ride my old bikes. They're fun but I'm starting to miss new technology  :cry:

Latigo....Decker.....talk about 10mph knee draggers...hahahaha.....the good times.  Every play at the tracks?....like for instance......Willow Springs?

Offline martyestes

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
Willow

Willow again (seriously)

Amazing day and a really fun photo shoot
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0906_450s_four_ways/viewall.html

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »
It is definitely cool and I see you have some oldies too.  Sure could use reed valves ! 

one or two

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »
The top photo is at Streets right?.......

Those are some good shots dude........green with envy I am!! :wink:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »
Hey y'all... thought you might enjoy pics of my two smokers.  I've had the 480 since the mid 90's and it is surprisingly good for it's age. The KX is a frame-up resto that I'm still dialing in.  Getting close to where I want it to be  :mrgreen:

hey, is that the KX500 that Ronnie Lechin tested a few issues ago???

Offline martyestes

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 05:02:14 PM »
Awesome collection of bikes Motorrad.  Wow.

Yes, that is the bike that Ronnie tested for DR.  I put it away for about a year because I was pretty bummed with how the article turned out.  Bike wasn't ready, and we were committed/rushed to deadline.  It needed a lot more time/testing. had a few setbacks and frankly the bike just wasn't very good at that time. But I've figured some things out in the last few months and I'm excited to try to go racing again on it. Last Friday, in my last session out on the track, they had just watered and I had a great session. It gave me hope!

USMC, the Buell pic is Horsethief Mile (?) and the RMZ pic is out in the dirt somewhere near that too.  It was spring, tore up some flowers that day. 

Motorrad

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »

Yes, that is the bike that Ronnie tested for DR.  I put it away for about a year because I was pretty bummed with how the article turned out.  Bike wasn't ready, and we were committed/rushed to deadline.  It needed a lot more time/testing. had a few setbacks and frankly the bike just wasn't very good at that time. But I've figured some things out in the last few months and I'm excited to try to go racing again on it. Last Friday, in my last session out on the track, they had just watered and I had a great session. It gave me hope!

USMC, the Buell pic is Horsethief Mile (?) and the RMZ pic is out in the dirt somewhere near that too.  It was spring, tore up some flowers that day. 

haha. thats funny...   me and USMC had a long discussion about that article...  :roll:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »

I was beyond pissed reading the article.....infact I think I blasted the article here on the site saying that they should have put ronnie on my bike......I know that the k5 in the test was not ready and it wasn't really a fair comparison......Hard to have a good test with a bike running decade old crank seals.......

I never rode horsethief......I've only been at Streets and the big track......I've done Buttonwillow, Laguna and Fontana.....I wanna go run Chuckwalla sometime.