Author Topic: Airing the K5  (Read 1850 times)

afritts4u

Airing the K5
« on: November 17, 2004, 03:10:32 AM »
Does anyone like to spend a lot of time in the air with thier kx500. I just got a 2001 k5 and want to be able to jump like my old cr250. I mostly ride dunes and desert so the kx is a perfect bike for me but want a good set up so I can still air it out. I do go big 100+ ft off dunes and I weigh 200lbs so need good tips on bottoming resistanc.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Airing the K5
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 03:49:32 AM »
Two words... Race Tech. I'm pretty much your size at 200 pounds. I've enjoied airing my KX out and have no problems with the bottoming. But, I used to have a blown out shock and instead traded out my rear shock for a race tech rebuilt shock for a 180 pound rider, which is great on small/medium tracks and will swap that out for my previous shock I had rebuilt for a 220 pound rider which is better for 100+ foot jumps. I've also heard that MX Tech is also good.

Btw, the KX off the show room floor is valved and sprung pretty much for a 120 pound rider it feels like, way too soft. That is why I like the Gold Valves from Race tech,  they have been the best in the MX sciene.. But ask Paul, he does alot of Dune riding and should know about this area. I just keep to the Track and sand drags.

Offline Ramski

Airing the K5
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 04:18:44 PM »
I've been riding/racing GPs more lately and practicing moto with my KX500 and one thing I've realized since jumping more is that the KX500 (like any 500cc 2 stroke) does not handle well in the air.  I guess the gyroscopic effect is a big thing after all.
Danny Lesovsky