Author Topic: 89 CDI with 92 Stator  (Read 11887 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: 89 CDI with 92 Stator
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 03:39:40 AM »
OEM.

I think It might be a good idea to do a leakdown test to make sure you're not sucking air from anywhere.......there are those on the site that encourage doing a leak down test with both pressure and vacume.
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 04:33:52 AM »
+1  :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 04:35:35 AM »
they are easy to build.    a $10 to the plumbing section does it.

eh sandblaster?      you can post up those pics I sent ya etc if ya want

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 04:49:34 AM »
As the saying goes, "It's so easy a kid could do it."
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Gage

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 05:10:50 AM »
Okay cool Ive never done one before, I didn't know I could make it, I just saw the motion pro kits for $300 and said ya thats not getting done. If I do one and it checks out and I can rule out an air leak, what were the possible fuel issues to make it run away? Other than a stuck throttle/ spring.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 05:17:28 AM »
Two strokes are simple.......unless someone wants to correct me I would have to say that unless your throttle is sticking open there isn't really any fuel issues that would cause a runaway engine.  Super lean conditions would cause the symptoms you describe....too much fuel would cause a rich condition which would cause the engine to bog or not run at all.
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Gage

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 05:52:02 AM »
I thought Motorrad said either and air leak or a fuel problem could make the motor runaway. Or a stuck throttle. It just makes more sense that it would be fuel related because I was screwing with the carb all that day, but mostly just jets. Ill definitely do a pressure test on it tomorrow to make sure.

Motorrad

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 06:02:42 AM »
lean condition will make it run away   (low float,   pinched fuel line,   bad tank vents, clogged petcock,  etc etc etc etc_)

Offline Gage

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 06:19:41 AM »
 :-o are you serious, why me.... I have a lot to check. Now I'm really going to be sweating bullets when I start this thing again. One more question, I really appreciate all the help too, Ill try to make habit of searching a little better for things before I ask,  If this happens again, whats the best way to stop it! I was thinking flip the choke or hold the brakes down and stall it? 

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
:-o are you serious, why me.... I have a lot to check. Now I'm really going to be sweating bullets when I start this thing again. One more question, I really appreciate all the help too, Ill try to make habit of searching a little better for things before I ask,  If this happens again, whats the best way to stop it! I was thinking flip the choke or hold the brakes down and stall it? 

Not really that much.....if you pull your carb off and take it apart to clean it you can check all these things right off the bat........to check fuel delievery from the tank I remove the fuel line from the carb and open the petcock letting the fuel pour into a container.....If you have good flow out of the fuel line you can rule out tank vent line, clogged petcock, clogged fuel line.....

While cleaning the carb check you r jets and float level.......I have a carb clean dip can that you can purchase from any auto parts store for like $20.  Its pretty much a paint can with a basket.  You put your METAL carb parts and housing into the basket and let is sit for a few hours.  That usually cleans out any gunk.  Then rinse the parts with soapy water then clean water.......Make sure everything is dry before assembly.  This is also a perfect time to observe the operation of your throttle and slide to make sure nothing sticks. 

Doing these simple things should guarentee that your fuel/air delivery is (before the reeds) is doing what it should........

As far as stopping a runaway motorcycle.........have good access to the plug wire and pull the cap off while wearing a thick rubber glove (voltage rated if possible)......good luck

Motorrad

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
put a long zip tye on the plug wire before you light it next time... so you can just pull on the "tail"...

also..   Every time... I MEAN EVERY TIME.   I go to start a motorcycle..    I give it abotu 1/4 throttle, and let go.   and LISTEN for the "clunk" of the slide hitting bottom.

I have had a bike run away before because of a hung up throttle cable.

every try to kill a 300CC trials bike, runing WOT   with out a kill switch.. and no access to the plug wire (under the tank)  :-o :-o :-o

Yea.. ever since then   I listen for the "clunk"

Offline alward25

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »
Ever since I had my 500 run away from before my first build I started putting the kill switch on the right side.  I was trying to hit the kill switch with my left thumb and pull the clutch at the same time, now, I can let off the throttle that might be stuck and hit the button with my right hand and pull the clutch with the left.  I hit the rear brake but it was amazing how little rear brake did while under full throttle power in 4th gear.  Ended up being the base gasket on the LH side because I replaced the cable after the first time even though it checked out.
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
only 2 Runaways I ever have had were

1. hung up throttle cable.   due to my dumb ass hooking it with the gas tank appon installation...  (2005 gas gas 300TXT pro.)

2.  Pinched vent line.    lucky, this oen takes a while to show up, (pull vaccume on the tank).  so I was riding the bike, and noticed it starting to idle high durring shifts.   so no RUN away.   again.. from my dumb ass smashing the vent line apon gas tank installation.

Offline alward25

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 12:52:26 AM »
My first one ever was on my old Yamaha ytm 225 3 wheeler and I was about 11 and spinning cookies out in the rain and my thumb slipped off weird and wedged itself between the throttle lever and the housing. Luckily I thought fast and hit the kill switch and only ended up in some blackberry bushes and not a tree!!! Hahaha, I am accident prone.
"Let there be light"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 03:49:50 AM »
My first one ever was on my old Yamaha ytm 225 3 wheeler and I was about 11 and spinning cookies out in the rain and my thumb slipped off weird and wedged itself between the throttle lever and the housing. Luckily I thought fast and hit the kill switch and only ended up in some blackberry bushes and not a tree!!! Hahaha, I am accident prone.

You're aircrew on some of the finest aircraft sikorsky has to offer........"accident prone" should not be in your genetic makeup!! :lol: :lol: