Author Topic: 89 CDI with 92 Stator  (Read 11886 times)

Offline Gage

89 CDI with 92 Stator
« on: April 13, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »
The 89 CDI has an extra wire (green/white), will this be okay if left unplugged?

Offline Gage

Re: 89 CDI with 92 Stator
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »
Anybody?

Offline Gage

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »
Okay so I was riding it a few times today, I hit it close to wide open and then it revved up higher like it was running out of gas, but I couldn't shut it off with the kill-switch!!!! I eventually pulled the spark plug cap off and got nasty shock while doing it.. Now Im not getting any spark.... The stator still has spark and is on par with the number in the manual. I'm pretty sure its the ignition coil because I have spark coming from the CDI after checking it with a test light but nothing from the ignition coil.  Could the ignition coil have made this happen>? Ideas, suggestions..

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Hey dude.....sometimes you have to be a bit patient until someone who might be able to help you logs in.....Just wanted to let you know that you are being heard....good luck.
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
Hey dude.....sometimes you have to be a bit patient until someone who might be able to help you logs in.....Just wanted to let you know that you are being heard....good luck.

there is also a magic button that helps people.....   it gets you results like these..

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7586.0.html

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,9470.0.html

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
Okay so I was riding it a few times today, I hit it close to wide open and then it revved up higher like it was running out of gas, but I couldn't shut it off with the kill-switch!!!! I eventually pulled the spark plug cap off and got nasty shock while doing it.. Now Im not getting any spark.... The stator still has spark and is on par with the number in the manual. I'm pretty sure its the ignition coil because I have spark coming from the CDI after checking it with a test light but nothing from the ignition coil.  Could the ignition coil have made this happen>? Ideas, suggestions..

did you OHM everything?    test light wont tell you anything

Offline Gage

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
Yes with a OHM meter! Sorry!!! Im just looking for advise, no one where I lives knows anything about this stuff. Im on my own.The stator is right on target but the ignition Secondary would not get a good reading. And the cdi according to the manual is not testable. I guess I'll just buy a 1990+ CDI and a new Ignition coil because something is wacked out. This would explain why the bike was hitting its powerband then falling out too.

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
Yes with a OHM meter! Sorry!!! Im just looking for advise, no one where I lives knows anything about this stuff. Im on my own.The stator is right on target but the ignition Secondary would not get a good reading. And the cdi according to the manual is not testable. I guess I'll just buy a 1990+ CDI and a new Ignition coil because something is wacked out. This would explain why the bike was hitting its powerband then falling out too.

did you wire the cdi how the link I gave you says    by splicing wires?     if not. it could be cutting out due to arcing.

Offline Gage

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
No I didn't realize I was suppose to splice the wires together before today; just left the green unhooked. I think I actually did read one of those links before today but just skimmed through it, probably a late night. There's a CDI on ebay Im going to try to get because either way Im not getting any spark anymore, Ignition coil is toast I believe.

Offline Gage

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
After some late night googling; my kill switch was working, however I'm not completely sure if me pulling the spark plug boot killed it after it started revving uncontrollably or it just stalled out after I let go of it from it shocking the bjeezes out of me. Would a faulty ignition coil or incorrect CDI/ electrical component make it rev uncontrollably?? I guess the better question is after I get the correct year CDI and a new Ignition coil, what would you check before starting it again?! Because Ive NEVER had anything do that to me before, very very scary...

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
After some late night googling; my kill switch was working, however I'm not completely sure if me pulling the spark plug boot killed it after it started revving uncontrollably or it just stalled out after I let go of it from it shocking the bjeezes out of me. Would a faulty ignition coil or incorrect CDI/ electrical component make it rev uncontrollably?? I guess the better question is after I get the correct year CDI and a new Ignition coil, what would you check before starting it again?! Because Ive NEVER had anything do that to me before, very very scary...

I missed the part where it ran away.

NO.. the ignition shouldnt cause that.

You have either

A.  air leak..

B.  fuel supply problem.

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
or a sticky slide, throttle cable..

Offline Gage

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »
Air leak: The rubber piece that holds my carb on, could it have been too loose? Or a case leak you mean? I haven't done a leak down test yet, trouble time finding some one with one.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Fuel problem: Okay I was screwing around with the jets today so this is a strong possibility. And this did not happen during idle or low throttle, this occurred at near full throttle. I was going up in jet sizes. See I haven't wrapped my head around what happened or how it could even occur. But from what Ive read online so far my understanding is (the motor was in a lean condition and this made the plug so hot it was firing on its own?) So if the motor was lean, but I was going up in jet sizes... Thinking out-loud: Main jet was sucking too much fuel which made it lean? Float/Bowl fuel level incorrect? Thats all I got!..                                                                    

Offline alward25

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 03:21:01 AM »
What r u running for a base gasket?  I had an OEM base gasket start to leak on the LH side and it would cause an air leak and would run away.
"Let there be light"

Offline Gage

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 03:31:49 AM »
OEM. What are the possible fuel scenarios that would make it run away Motorrad?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:37:59 AM by Gage »