Author Topic: Truck  (Read 11620 times)

Motorrad

Re: Truck
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »
^Yes^  :-D

Avoid the 24v like the plague, dodge did the lets make them with cracked heads on that one, like fraud. "unless"  you get the HD version they put inserted seats in them & they magnaflux ok most times. The HD's were rare though, really the 04+ common rail with a stick would be okay.
The comment on Japanese engineering can lead you to a d-max though, isuzu's the main builder on that one. We had a 180'000 mile d-max , 6 strokes with a ck-10 & the cylinder was pristine again. They induction harden the cylinder in the top 2" of bore. Then you get a allison too. The truck itself is junk though, especially those flimsy quad cab doors. Its all trade off's. Dont go newer than 04 on your dmax as they changed to a weaker piston & they added to much externally balanced mass that "will" break the crank
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Motorrad

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 01:55:02 PM »
There are 6 Dmax  between family and friends.   and I cant count the times they have all had to drop $2500 bills because the injection goes to crap.  (few of them, more than once)...

Honestly.. I really dont want to deal with all the diesel headaches.      

what Im REALLY looking for.

is

(not sure the body style cutoff).  but

2000?  through 2005?

1500  Silverado / sierra,     4x4,     4 door, (half doors prefered),     short bed..       5.3L.     with the nifty billet wheel package (LS package??) with under 100,000 miles,    BONE stock..   no lifts, no wheels, no tires, no performance chips, no intakes...  no Metal Mulisha stickers.................

that hasnt been "bro" ed to death..  

not to be too specific or anything

Id love to have a 2500..   but they all seem to have come with the 6.0 gas pig
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:09:13 PM by Motorrad »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
If you do get a dodge with the cummings make sure you don't get any of the years that came with that stupid  blu tech engine........Very underpowered when compared to other years (I know this from towing experience, not because someone said so) and my company had to pay big bucks to have the exhaust filter replaced because the truck was idled for 15 min warming up on a snowy morning....dealer said, "oh yeah, if you idle these motors the exhaust filter gets clogged"..........Can't idle a diesel.....does this sound stupid to anyone else?? :|
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »
If you do get a dodge with the cummings make sure you don't get any of the years that came with that stupid  blu tech engine........Very underpowered when compared to other years (I know this from towing experience, not because someone said so) and my company had to pay big bucks to have the exhaust filter replaced because the truck was idled for 15 min warming up on a snowy morning....dealer said, "oh yeah, if you idle these motors the exhaust filter gets clogged"..........Can't idle a diesel.....does this sound stupid to anyone else?? :|

oh trust me.. the only cummins I can afford or want for that matter is way older than those..

problem with the dodge.. the modle I want, is the rare'st combo they made.

extra cab, 2500,   4x4,  short bed,  stick..      late 90's era
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:24:58 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 06:51:04 PM »
We have a 2002 Suburban 1500 4WD that we got a screamin' deal on brand new. Was looking for the big engine, but the one we got has the 5.3 with an auto trans. After having it for 150K plus miles, getting 16 MPG pulling a 24 foot travel trailer (2000 mile round trip more then once) and no problems with it, I will be looking for another 5.3 when the time comes to replace the rig. A little slow on the big hills, but pulls the trailer 75+ on the flat easy. Still a solid vehicle and air tight. The 1500 version has more 'car' like suspension and rides VERY smooth. The trailer capacity is still more then our trailer weighs, even though it is not a ‘lightweight’ version. Love my Burb!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...