Author Topic: Truck  (Read 11626 times)

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

Re: Truck
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
Tundras are great trucks.  I just wish they could figure out a way to get better mileage.  For what they cost, that is my biggest hang up with them.
Couldn't agree with you more about the mileage Alward25. That's my only hangup as well, but I rationalize it by the fact that repairs are very unlikely (even thought I admit, mine has a 4.7 with timing belt, so at 125,000 I did the belt, tensioners and water pump. Not bad insurance for being in the desert all the time I guess), and resale is absolutely incredible. My dad has a longbed 1986 toyota pickup with 240,000 miles and he gets offers all the time from gardners/laborers for around $2,000, while it only cost $7,000 brand new! Hard to do with an old Ranger or S-10, plus this thing can haul two KX500s out to the desert tomorrow with the air conditioning on!

Offline alward25

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
They are reliable and that is why resale is so good.  They look cool too.  Dodge just came out with a ram 1500 that you can burn gas or CNG.  With CNG being $1.20-$1.75 a gallon, it does not affect milege too bad and it is cheaper than dirt to run.
"Let there be light"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
If you made it to this site because you appreciate the quality of Japanese engineering/manufacturing, and you don't need something really heavy duty, why not look to the Tundra? You will pay way more, but there is a reason. I was a master technician when I was younger and made a lot of money on American trucks. The little Japanese work trucks on the other hand seemed like all they ever needed was one quart of dirty oil and they would last forever. I was always amazed by this. When I got out of engineering school I would go on long surf trips down in Baja Mexico where I would put about 2,000 miles on my rig per trip. We're talking dirt roads, heat, sand, etc. When it came time to pull the trigger on a new truck, I went for the Toyota and couldn't have been happier. Not one problem in 130,000, get 60,000+ miles out of tires, 60,0000 + on front  brakes, no rattles, and has never left a drop of anything on my driveway. I tow a 21 foot daycruiser a few thousand mile every summer in the Arizona/Nevada desert heat.

Now, my old lady wants a BIG Lance Camper, and I'm terrified about having to buy a diesel truck. Won't touch the Ford, two friends of mine have the Duramax/Allison blues, and the Dodge seems like the engine will run forever, but everything else of questionable quality. Maybe I'll hold out until the Japanese trucks hit the diesel market, but I only have another two years until I will need another truck.

I agree with you that the Dodge's quality isn't the greatest.  I went truck shopping for my company and there is a reason that the Dodge is usually 5-10 grand less than the rest.....they cut corners on everything quality wise.....Every dodge in our fleet is always loosing tail lights, interior trim, etc......The Cummings engine is great as long as its not one of those crappy blue tech engines.....I tried to idle the blue tech Dodge in my driveway to warm it up on a snowy morning and within 10 min of idling the particulate filter clogged and It had to go to the dealership for expensive repairs.....not to mention that they are seriously underpowered for a Cummings engine. :|

If I had to go dodge it would have to be the older 12 valve and 24 valve cummings engines.
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline don46

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
They are reliable and that is why resale is so good.  They look cool too.  Dodge just came out with a ram 1500 that you can burn gas or CNG.  With CNG being $1.20-$1.75 a gallon, it does not affect milege too bad and it is cheaper than dirt to run.

I think Natural gas is going to be the next energy soloution, but not CNG, it will be LNG. the range with CNG is minimal whereas LNG its a liquid and can be vaporized it gives pretty good range, power is down some. We have 20 semis on the west coast, they run from LA to San Diego, they wont take them over the grapevine because they are underpowered but there are some new bigger engines coming out, Mileage is comparable to Diesel on the highway but down a bit in city traffic.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »

Not sure if you would call this "bro'ed" out but i wouldn't drive a ford if it was free haha. 263k miles and the only thing ive replaced is one lift pump and the tranny at 170k leveling kit and 35's (cause small tires get you stuck lol)  gets the job done and gets the toys to the playground.
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline don46

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
isn't it funny, trucks are like bikes, my Kawi is better than your Yamaha. I will relate a real life story, the company I work for has 4 wells up the side of a mountain, we typicall haul 500 gallons of water up an ugly, I won't even call it a road, we have had Ford, Chev, and Dodges, and say what you will but the only thing to hold up to the abuse was a ford, the Chev broke the frames, the Dodge had all the body literally fall off. I will say I am a Ford person, but in 08 I did look at a Chev Duramax and a Dodge cummings, and was kinda leaning towards the Dodge, till I drove one, then decided it wasn't for me. the other reason I ended up not buying either was the fact that we the people had to bail them out, so I ended up buying the worst truck I ever owned, but have since rectified that situation and now have one of the best trucks I have ever owned. I say to each his own, without all of us buying what we want there would be no options and no reason to make a better product, so we all benefit.

Motorrad

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 05:55:55 AM »
Found my low milage cummins truck  :lol:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3734954858.html

Motorrad

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 06:01:32 AM »
okay..  what ya think..  falls into my line of likes....    manual windows,   straight axle...   not tons of elc gizmos.   

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/ctd/3749233724.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:10:34 AM by Motorrad »

Offline don46

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 07:30:37 AM »
I had a 97, never had a problem with it, i got 22-24 mpg regularly. the only problem I ever had, and it happened twice, the cam shaft sensor picked up a signal that was hoky and it would run but like it was out of time, turn it off and restart, ran like a top. I forgot I did have a glow plug relay fail as well, other than that 100,000 miles with no issues.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 07:34:13 AM »
okay..  what ya think..  falls into my line of likes....    manual windows,   straight axle...   not tons of elc gizmos.   

I like it.....but then again I am a fan of the 7.3L International Engine........Notice I didn't say FORD people.....lets not start another ford vs. chevy vs. dodge discussion.....
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 08:17:42 AM »
okay..  what ya think..  falls into my line of likes....    manual windows,   straight axle...   not tons of elc gizmos.  

I like it.....but then again I am a fan of the 7.3L International Engine........Notice I didn't say FORD people.....lets not start another ford vs. chevy vs. dodge discussion.....

Im liking it too.. just for the lack of stupid stuff to go wrong.  (has manual hubs, etc)

Im done with that push button 4x4,  electric window crap.   all it does is fail.

there should only be 3 butons in a truck.

headlights,
windshield wipers (this is even arguable)
AC

Offline don46

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
nah gotta have 4, radio is a necessitity, need to tone out all that surrounding noise

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »
nah gotta have 4, radio is a necessitity, need to tone out all that surrounding noise

True! A radio can also determine when it's time to fix something! If the noise becomes louder then the radio volume can go then it's time to fix it! :-D
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
7.3 heads crack ,  like from the factory, we have torn down a handful & gotten a handful more heads & only had one / 1 set that wasnt cracked. Get a 12v with a stick & call it a day. LS motor s are good & D-max's , but cost wise the old 12 V is hard to beat
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Motorrad

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
7.3 heads crack ,  like from the factory, we have torn down a handful & gotten a handful more heads & only had one / 1 set that wasnt cracked. Get a 12v with a stick & call it a day. LS motor s are good & D-max's , but cost wise the old 12 V is hard to beat

thats what I would like to find.   but they really didnt come with enough back seat for kids car seats..   is my issue.