Author Topic: Gears Grind  (Read 2863 times)

Offline grippy61

Gears Grind
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
Was out riding and watching my son on his KX85 and seemed that about half the time shifting from 1st to 2nd he was going to neutral.  Got the bike out today for some maintenance oil change and repack the muffler.  Started it up, go around the yard and the bike is hard shifting and grinding every gear.  You can feel the gear grind in the shifter.  I adjusted the clutch, even took the clutch apart to look for wear.  All looks good but going to change the clutch anyway.  The oil had no metal to speak of in it when drained.  I'm hoping a clutch change will cure this, but I'm convinced that is wishful thinking!  Any help an where else to look would be great.

Motorrad

Re: Gears Grind
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
Was out riding and watching my son on his KX85 and seemed that about half the time shifting from 1st to 2nd he was going to neutral.  Got the bike out today for some maintenance oil change and repack the muffler.  Started it up, go around the yard and the bike is hard shifting and grinding every gear.  You can feel the gear grind in the shifter.  I adjusted the clutch, even took the clutch apart to look for wear.  All looks good but going to change the clutch anyway.  The oil had no metal to speak of in it when drained.  I'm hoping a clutch change will cure this, but I'm convinced that is wishful thinking!  Any help an where else to look would be great.

what oil?    certain types will swell the clutch plates..   

Offline grippy61

Re: Gears Grind
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:58:55 AM »
I changed out the transmission oil, 10w-40 api sg/cc.  Turns out the gear shifter was on the shaft to far up and was rubbing the chain when upshifting.  I have only had this bike for about a week, and have only made sure the brakes and tires were good to start riding.  Since I found the shifter issue I have gone through the rest of the bike.