Author Topic: 2 piece clutch cover  (Read 155995 times)

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
Re: 2 piece clutch cover
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2014, 06:16:26 AM »
I don't have any older clutch covers right now but I may on Monday.
If I reel one in I will compare and see.
For some reason I think we did compare them at one time but we'll see  :-o

at the moment are them hard to find. there are 2 or 3 250 outer covers on ebay,
 but i need the inner cover  for measurements to make the 500 conversion kit ...
aaaand i can bolt it directly without changes to the 87 250 engine. :-D as i fixed my 87 tranny last week i also found out, that the inner clutch gasket is the same 87-96  that gives me some options for the 250.
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2014, 07:21:57 AM »
It seems to me that the kx250 inner clutch covers were too short but I should know on Monday as I have set the hook on a 89 kx250  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2014, 07:37:19 AM »
It seems to me that the kx250 inner clutch covers were too short but I should know on Monday as I have set the hook on a 89 kx250  :-D

Perfect, I always have "feeling" it could fit a K5 :-D

dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »

Some what explored:

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,9917.0.html

Still hopeful this can be done!

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »

i dont think that the inner 250 cover would fit directly to the k5 without mods for waterpump and governor drive and the k5 kickstartshaft is also bigger diameter than 250 , but without a try we never will find out ...   :-)

my thinking was to use the outer 250 cover and making cuttings on the right places to weld the cutted ring of the 88-91 250 to the k5 clutch housing and we can bolt on the 250 outer cover to the k5 .

without destroying one of the rare 88-91 250 inner cover could the needed weld on adapter copied without cutting and only measure the location of bolt holes and diameters. with the right tool on pc could made a program with the needed dimensions for a cnc-mill , find the right mashine shop and we have it... the outer cover could be easily copied with the cnc- mill . (or maybe a 3d-printer??  :wink:)

and like i said: at the moment i run a little bit out of my possibilities and it would give a very long session to make this adapter by hand in my garage. there is nothing that not could be made. it needs only time , money , the right material and gives lot of fun.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »
The following pics are of a 89 kx250 clutch cover sitting on top of my cut down kx500 inner clutch cover.

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »

Looking close at the pics, you can see that the 89 kx250 clutch cover is slightly smaller then the KX500 inner clutch cover.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »

Looking close at the pics, you can see that the 89 kx250 clutch cover is slightly smaller then the KX500 inner clutch cover.

thats why the outer diameter of the clutch housing is a little bit cone formed on k5 and kx250 . but this diference is peanuts against the cover that you used before..  :wink:

this pic shows real good what i said and will try to make if i have the time and right material in hand.

now all can see , if it would be finished in this way it looks like it came from kawasaki-factory ...  8-)
and also no clearance-problem that would come with kickstarter  or brake-lever by using an bigger diametered cover of an other engine.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2014, 03:15:48 AM »
Well.... Get it done... I can't wait to see it  :-D

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2014, 05:41:18 AM »
Well.... Get it done... I can't wait to see it  :-D

in first i have some other more important projects, but stay tuned ...  :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:09 AM »
That materials, prints, and sample parts have been sent to Roost.
In a few weeks or so we should get our first sample..
He has some good idea's that I will share later  :-o

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2014, 08:48:13 AM »
About 2 days before Roost volunteered to machine some of the adapters I had started making a adapter by hand.

Poor mans water jet:

Poor mans milling machine....

Now I'm wondering if I should finish it or wait for a really nice one from Roost....
Yeah, I'm going to make a stab at finishing it  :lol:

Offline wierdo

« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2014, 12:59:36 PM »
Onya Blaster,mate you would fit in well in outback australia. A bush mill, have you tried the bush lathe? hand drill in a vise and a hand file or Dremmel if you wanna be fancy. Lucky theres no Occupational Health and Safety in my shed.
There was a TV show on here a few years back on Bush Mechanics, these guys are aboriginals and they were making brake shoes and clutch pads out of certain types of bush woods, was actually realy cool to watch as well as have a good laugh.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
Onya Blaster,mate you would fit in well in outback australia. A bush mill, have you tried the bush lathe? hand drill in a vise and a hand file or Dremmel if you wanna be fancy. Lucky theres no Occupational Health and Safety in my shed.
There was a TV show on here a few years back on Bush Mechanics, these guys are aboriginals and they were making brake shoes and clutch pads out of certain types of bush woods, was actually realy cool to watch as well as have a good laugh.

Oh yeah, I've done the bush lathe thing and much worse  :-D
It's amazing what you can do when you have little to work with.