Author Topic: 2 piece clutch cover  (Read 156028 times)

Offline rapidaf

Re: 2 piece clutch cover
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
Hi, been watching this for a while now and very interested for my project  :-) any idea on a price yet? Thanks.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
Can't seem to get anyone interested in making them up....
So, with very limited tools or skills I am going to attempt making one by hand.

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
I'm making one this weekend too with my limited tools and skills we shall see how it turns out

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
Mine will take much longer to make and will look like junk...
But, at least I can prove the concept and show pics to potential machinists for production.
I'm sure yours will turn out much better then mine.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline rapidaf

« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
Crazy really as i think there would be quite a demand for them as the brake pedal goes through it at every given chance and obviously for ease of changing clutch plates. What sort of machine would be required is it milling or lathe?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2014, 10:21:33 AM »
Doordie had one of the slickest ones I've seen...although he was running a Rekluse...be cool to see someone come up with something similar.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:03:59 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
Crazy really as i think there would be quite a demand for them as the brake pedal goes through it at every given chance and obviously for ease of changing clutch plates. What sort of machine would be required is it milling or lathe?

Mill... I know some good cnc mill guys but I need someone to program it.
I use to use Smartcam 12 many years ago but I don't know anyone that has the software anymore and I probably have forgotten how to use it  :roll:

Doordie had one of the slickest ones I've seen...but I remember him posting he had some trouble keeping it perfectly leak free sometimes, although he was running a Rekluse...be cool to see someone come up with something similar.

I'm going to use a kx450F cover with my adapter.
Then I need to find a oil temp gauge for the oil filler hole.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:05:10 AM by sandblaster »

Offline alward25

« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
I think i still might want to go this route.

Looks the most trick, but I am still exploring Sandblasters option.
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
not bad....but after having a brake pedal dent and crack a cover before, if I was gonna put the time and effort into making one, the Lexan would be the way I'd go...won't break/crack/or dent...and I'd have a nice view.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:13:44 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
I agree Alward.
I like the look of that cover the best.
But as Foxx pointed out it has less clearance between the cover and the brake lever then the stock one.
While I like the look of the lexan I don't need reminders of how dirty my oil is  8-)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
I don't need reminders of how dirty my oil is  8-)

C'mon...don't you have money bags sewn into your pants as pockets?...keep that oil clean :lol:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2014, 12:05:47 PM »
I do change my oil every time I ride.
I don't wear the same kind of money bag pants that you do but I do get my oil at cost  :-P
But, with aluminum clutch plates it looks dirty in 5 minutes of riding...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2014, 12:10:36 PM »
after just buying another truck....my money bags are more like coin purses for a couple months now  :cry:

Offline alward25

« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
the brake pedal clearance is an easy fix, Lexan scratches too.
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
wasn't trying get into a debate at all with you Alex, but..
 you can fix the clearance issue all you want...the problem still exists...the brake pedal is an issue and always will be no matter what kind of cover is in place, whether aluminum or Lexan, if it takes a hard enough hit, but aluminum bends and sometimes cracks, which can lead to a really bad oil leak as I found out...not fun when you're 20 miles from home and you just watched your oil pour out on the ground.
You have your reasons for liking aluminum, and I have my reasons for not.
I'll take my chances with the non-breakable Lexan, and make it home with a couple minor scratches. :-P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:04:30 PM by Foxx4Beaver »