Author Topic: 2 piece clutch cover  (Read 155912 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: 2 piece clutch cover
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »
Well I don't want to put that kind of pressure on you.......thats why I've set the deadline to mid next week. :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:40 AM »
As a double check, I need to know what the measurement from the outside of the right engine case to the furthest point away from the clutch asy is.
Just checking if the new cover will have the correct clearance.
I believe that it will but I don't have an engine that I can check this with right now.

Right now I have a total thickness of 1/2" for the adapter.
Unfortunately that would make the outside of the KX450F clutch cover stick out approximately 1/2" past where the stock clutch cover ends...
I can easily make the adapter thinner.
However, I am concerned about thread engagement with the aluminum.
Take a look at the pics below.
Right now I am set up for a full 1/2" of thread engagement.

In reality I know this is overkill as there won't be any real stress on it.
However, there is always the guy who over-tightens everything....
So in your opinions, what would be the safe amount of thread engagement?
After all, the thinner the adapter, the closer to the original cover position we can get which means less tweaking of the rear brake lever...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
don't worry about those who "overtighten"......just send us some torque specs and make that sucker as close to the stock dimensions as possible.......thats my desire anyways. :wink:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »
The other concern I have is what the face will do after it's been welded.
What some of you may or may not know is the K5 clutch cover in the basket area is not perfectly round.
Therefore, some of the areas will require a bit more weld material (Gap rod) then others.
So, I'm worried about warpage after weld.
If I leave a little more material then the face can be machined to clean up after weld.
And for those that are really fussy (They know who they are) they can lap it as well  :-D
Any suggestions?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »
The other concern I have is what the face will do after it's been welded.
What some of you may or may not know is the K5 clutch cover in the basket area is not perfectly round.
Therefore, some of the areas will require a bit more weld material (Gap rod) then others.
So, I'm worried about warpage after weld.
If I leave a little more material then the face can be machined to clean up after weld.
And for those that are really fussy (They know who they are) they can lap it as well  :-D
Any suggestions?

Get a smart welder.       Tack opposite corners.      and only weld small sections at a time.     to not build up heat.  and use a heat synk (sink?)  im bad speller
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:13:07 PM by Motorrad »

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »
When I sat the cover on the bench, it measured 3.25" from the bench to top of stock cover. That is the reason I am making a one-off cover, to get thread engagement and keep stock width. They say if you are using 6mm bolt, then 6mm of engagement is all you need. Seems kinda short to me.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »
When I sat the cover on the bench, it measured 3.25" from the bench to top of stock cover. That is the reason I am making a one-off cover, to get thread engagement and keep stock width. They say if you are using 6mm bolt, then 6mm of engagement is all you need. Seems kinda short to me.

Thanks.
If I was making my own cover like yours the adapter plate would have to be a lot thicker and I would have plenty of room for thread engagement.
But a factory KX450F cover is already thick on it's own.
So I have to keep the adapter plate thin so that the cover does not stick way out.
I'll take my clutch cover off my only assembled K5 and take some pics with my cut up cover.
With steel I agree that 6mm would be plenty of thread engagement.
With aluminum I have always use 2 times the diameter.
Might be overkill but it always worked  :-D
This cover won't really take a lot of abuse so I'm going to risk it...  :-o

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2013, 02:58:30 AM »
Are you going to go with 6mm engagement or closer to 10mm? I think the extra 4mm would be cheap insurance for threads. Did you have a problem with the ring near the w/p area of cover? That is where mine got a little tight.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2013, 03:22:39 AM »
Are you going to go with 6mm engagement or closer to 10mm? I think the extra 4mm would be cheap insurance for threads. Did you have a problem with the ring near the w/p area of cover? That is where mine got a little tight.

I'll know better on the engagement once I get my clutch cover off and install my trimmed up cover.
Yes the water pump area is the problem area.
I'll probably index my adapter there to not only fit better, but also for alignment at installation.
It would not be funny to weld on your cool new adapter only to discover you put it on upside down  :-o
I'll try to find some time to get some pics of it today..

Offline don46

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2013, 05:18:10 AM »
One of the issues you will have, is the brake pedal, on the side closest to the brake it will need to be angled pretty good to prevent dragging.  There was a picture on here someplace of the 2 piece cover I made, and if you can find it you'll notice that it is angled to clear the brake lever, mine was never in a stock 500 chassis, but you all know the brake is close and tends to damage the case if dropped on that side. when I built mine the first time I made it flat, similar to doordie's cover, it would'nt work because the brake hit it, so then I went back to the drawing board.

To be honest that cover is on a spare engine, clutchs rarely go on my 500 so really it is the bling factor more than anything.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2013, 06:36:40 AM »
Your right.
The brake lever is a concern which is why I have a few things up my sleeve  :lol:
And, if my current method crashes and burns I have a back up plan  :mrgreen:
If that does not work then I'll be forced to make a cover and adapter.
But, lets see how this one pans out first...

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2013, 08:06:23 AM »
After I did some closer measurements, the outer most edge of the cover is closer to 3" from the centercase.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
Yep.
That's closer to what I have.
I am pulling my unmolested cover off my sand bike today (If I have time) and get some good measurements for internal clearance.
I know there isn't a lot of wiggle room there either but in this case every little bit will count..
Machine it till it barely scrapes without a gasket, then, install a gasket.
Now where have I heard that line from  :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2013, 11:34:08 AM »
Here is a pic with the cutaway clutch cover that is being adapted.

Measuring to be sure we have the correct clearance.

Looks like I am right there  8-)

At this point I don't think I have to modify the rear brake lever at all  :mrgreen:
I will get the clutch cover milled down in the next few days and then I will know for sure but for right now I think I am there without indexing the adapter which will save on machine time...
And.... I have about 9.5mm of thread engagement with a 6mm bolt.
I feel real good about that..
But, we'll see.

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
Well, I finished up my cover and case. Pretty happy with the results. I will not have to worry about the cover being cracked like the old one, plenty thick. I will send pics when the son gets home.