Author Topic: 2 piece clutch cover  (Read 155993 times)

Offline alward25

Re: 2 piece clutch cover
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2014, 05:40:09 AM »
YUP!!!! 100% bling factor!!!!!!
"Let there be light"

Offline rapidaf

« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2014, 06:14:33 AM »
I had a chat with my dad this morning he works for a Canadian engineering company here in the uk. He said he could make a adapter plate quite easily and said it would be best as sandblaster suggested to use a clutch cover off another bike to save time. I don't suppose sandblaster could tell me the outside diameter of the kx450f clutch cover compared to the diameter of the kx500 casing after the top has been cut off? Saves me buying a load of clutch cases to try, thanks in advance  :-)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2014, 06:16:41 AM »
I just don't want another "brake pedal through the case" again. :-)
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2014, 06:39:02 AM »
i see more than bling factor.  with the 2-peace cover you will never have to drain the cooling water , if you work on the clutch. that saves also lot of time for fixing other things on the bike..  :wink:
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline don46

« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2014, 07:22:29 AM »
i see more than bling factor.  with the 2-peace cover you will never have to drain the cooling water , if you work on the clutch. that saves also lot of time for fixing other things on the bike..  :wink:

Which is really my point, if you do the maintenance you rarely have to get into the clutch, and with a two piece cover that is all you can get to, maybe if you remove the basket you could get to something else but it would be minimal, so yeah it is a bling deal
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »
Get me dimensions, I can have them waterjet and finish them on the mill or lathe  :wink:

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »

I agree with Don 100%. The only people to see a real benefit would be the auto clutch users.

It's not a difficult modification, but requires multiple operations to do correctly. This drives the cost up.

So you spend the money and have a trick part that is heavier, has an extra place for an oil leak and has set up a failure mode for the cover itself. That nice, stiff, compound curved surface that got chopped off contributed to the stability of the kickstart bushing  area of the cover. No bolt-on cover plate will restore the rigidity of the stock casting, which already has issues in that area.

Weld a 1/8 inch thick aluminum patch on the stock cover where the brake pedal wants to intrude. Take the money you saved and buy new tires. You'll go faster.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. But I'm not.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »
its the same thing with the comp-release-mod . the engine will always perform in the same way with or without it.  :wink: its a little bit bling and makes starting easier. but if you know how to start an 500 without it, you
will not miss it.

i see only the time factor. with the one-piece-cover you have to drain the cooling water, remove the kickstarter , governor-cover and on some bikes also the pipe to remove the cover and see the clutch. that needs lot mor time as with an 2 peace-cover.  a good race-mechanic could replace the complete clutch assembly in 10 minutes or faster.

for the case that the brake-pedal comes through the clutch-cover , you could easily replace the little cover without welding or buying a new one-peace-cover.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2014, 10:39:32 PM »
Okay....sooooo, back to some productive conversation...it sounds like Roostius has a great idea to get things going as well. Does anyone have easy access to provide him with the measurements and dimensions he's requesting?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:29:31 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2014, 05:43:17 AM »
Okay....sooooo, back to some productive conversation...it sounds like Roostius has a great idea to get things going as well. Does anyone have easy access to provide him with the measurements and dimensions he's requesting?

Email has been sent.  8-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2014, 05:51:46 AM »

... soooo, here my realistic idea: a conversion of an 88-91 kx250 2piece-cover (or alternativ from 2007 kx125)   with the kx500 cover (because, the same clutch is in both) .. in the way like sandblaster started with cutting and then welding together.

that will look like stock after a little bit mashining and sandblasting.  at least comes the dificultest part:  you need a company that is able to copy / reproduce it, for an fair price.

second idea : reproducing only the little part of the 250 covers with the "weld on adapter" as a conversion-kit or repair-kit for damaged kx500 clutch covers. for the reproduce you can contact some manufacturers like boyesen, that had this covers as aftermarket custom parts.

my thinking is ,for the bling factor it should not look like bad handcrafted with parts of diferent diameters ... it should look like there were never an other part like this before.  :wink:
at the moment i personally dont have the possibilitys to do it, but in this way it is makeable.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2014, 07:30:20 AM »
Update...
I will be sending Roost some files on Monday along with some materials  :-o

There are a lot of other ideas for doing this.
I encourage everyone to pursue your idea and show us how you did it along with the results.

Like most of you I am no mechanical genius and I don't have deep pockets like Foxx does  :lol:
I have to make things simple, easy, and cheap, so that I can do them.
The beauty of doing it like this is most of us have broken clutch covers that need to be repaired.
You can cut your broken clutch cover down, have the adapter welded on, get a stock or aftermarket kx450f cover and bolt it on and have some bling.
If and when you stick your brake lever through your clutch cover again, you simply order a another and be done with it.
The bling will be addressed more on the phase 2 adapters which I have not started so don't ask  :wink:
I want to prove this concept first before we get carried away with a lot more time and expense.

There are a lot of good reasons for just repairing what you have (Cheap) or doing it some other way and I appreciate all the input.
But for now we'll see how this works and make changes as required.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2014, 07:56:08 AM »
Update...
I don't have deep pockets like Foxx does  :lol:

wow, that was way below the belt :-P

In all seriousness though, that is great news Sandblaster....believe me, I wish I had a 1/4 of the "shops" and "tools" some of you guys do....not too many of us could ever house a water jet, let alone afford one....and I think it's really cool for Roostius ,yourself, alward25 and everyone else to dedicate the many hours of work and time it takes, and share their progress, for all of "us" to have the opportunity to enjoy the outcome!
Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:14:07 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
Update...
I will be sending Roost some files on Monday along with some materials  :-o

There are a lot of other ideas for doing this.
I encourage everyone to pursue your idea and show us how you did it along with the results.

Like most of you I am no mechanical genius and I don't have deep pockets like Foxx does  :lol:
I have to make things simple, easy, and cheap, so that I can do them.
The beauty of doing it like this is most of us have broken clutch covers that need to be repaired.
You can cut your broken clutch cover down, have the adapter welded on, get a stock or aftermarket kx450f cover and bolt it on and have some bling.
If and when you stick your brake lever through your clutch cover again, you simply order a another and be done with it.
The bling will be addressed more on the phase 2 adapters which I have not started so don't ask  :wink:
I want to prove this concept first before we get carried away with a lot more time and expense.

There are a lot of good reasons for just repairing what you have (Cheap) or doing it some other way and I appreciate all the input.
But for now we'll see how this works and make changes as required.

sandblaster my friend, if you have an 88-91 kx250 clutch cover in your junk piles, you could compare it directly to the k5-cover and you will see what i mean and how easy it could be done  with the awesome factory-look .  your version is a good start ,there is no question.

for my second idea as a weld on conversion or repair-kit, for all kx250´s 83-87 and kx500´s 83-2004,
 it needs only one good used 88-91 kx250 cover for copy the outer cover plus the adapter ring in sandcast or maybe better: cnc-milled from a block as bling bling billet part . i prefer to one of these ways..  

at least it is only money to make it real.

so guys, now i´m looking for 1 or 2 cheap and good used 2 peace clutch covers of the kx250 88-91 one for my 87 kx250 , the other for the k5-engine ...  :wink:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:38:16 PM by motopunk »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2014, 03:33:50 AM »
I don't have any older clutch covers right now but I may on Monday.
If I reel one in I will compare and see.
For some reason I think we did compare them at one time but we'll see  :-o