Author Topic: 2 piece clutch cover  (Read 155977 times)

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
Re: 2 piece clutch cover
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2013, 12:22:04 AM »
found this

http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php/337945-kawasaki-factory-kx500-two-piece-clutch-cover-sr500

these clutch cover is one of the rare gp- factory parts used in the last 3 real factory kx500sr (sr means spezial racer) in 1990/91. ridden by dave thorpe, paul malin and billy liles. one of the 3 is still in germany in a private offroad museum. its not a 250-frame the frame is spezial design for the kx500 motor. gas tank waterpump and cylinderhead are designed from japanese engineers and the bikes handmade and tested in belgium at this time.  :-) the gp-factory bikes of georges jobe , kurt nicoll and all the other great riders had allready 2 peace clutch covers since the first watercooled gp-kx500 in 1983.

at last my big question: why came this factory gp-bike of 1990 never in production??. why did not the 2 part clutch cover on production bikes??. that would have been in 1990, a great update.

but by the way, great work of you with your homemade 2 peace covers..  :-D

here some pics of the factory kx500sr of 1990 and the factory bikes and covers of ´84 and 88

big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2013, 12:50:18 AM »
If you look good at the bikes of Nicoll and Malin or Lilles you see two different cover.
Nicoll's is just like a stock cover only 2 pieces, and those who were put in a parameter frame looks more like a 250 cover.
Johan Boonen had Factory engines as well, and his cover looks almost "self made". Look at the tube were cooland from the cylinder to the pump is.
And Thorpe was not a fan of the new age frame and rode later in the gp his old style frame. Maybe thats wy Kawasaki didn't put it in production.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
If you look good at the bikes of Nicoll and Malin or Lilles you see two different cover.
Nicoll's is just like a stock cover only 2 pieces, and those who were put in a parameter frame looks more like a 250 cover.
Johan Boonen had Factory engines as well, and his cover looks almost "self made". Look at the tube were cooland from the cylinder to the pump is.
And Thorpe was not a fan of the new age frame and rode later in the gp his old style frame. Maybe thats wy Kawasaki didn't put it in production.

Dutchie

yes... they have taken thorpe with a lot of money away from honda factory gp team. but thorpe was not realy happy with the Kawasakis. He then went back to honda in 91.

the different water pumps have to do with the exhaust laying. only at the 90/91 factory bike the other water pump is necessary. or can be built at all af / sf conversions to get to the cooling hose out of the way and get the pipe as close as possible to the cylinder.  :-)

johan Boonen and daryl king were later also relatively successful with these bikes in gp.

But my question remains. why dont came this bike or the 2 peace clutch cover never to production? these parts were a few years for the factory team. why not also in a production update?

greetings to you from germany to netherlands  8-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2013, 05:39:49 PM »
Just an update....
Alward25 is sending me a inner clutch cover so I can verify the profile and hole position.
Don't want to make 10 adapters that don't fit right.
Plus I am waiting for quotes still....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Enginerd

• Big Bore Addict!
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2013, 01:34:06 AM »
Just an update....
Alward25 is sending me a inner clutch cover so I can verify the profile and hole position.
Don't want to make 10 adapters that don't fit right.
Plus I am waiting for quotes still....
Thanks for keeping on top of this project! We all really appreciate it.  :wink:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
Parts are in for verification

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2013, 09:48:07 AM »

Oh wait, that's me....  :-D
I had a couple of people asking about these again so I will sit down and see if I can get this project done.
Sorry, I've been distracted with too many projects, rides, and the common anxieties of life  :roll:

Offline El Snorro

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2013, 06:24:38 PM »
Here is a handmade 2 piece cover a friend of me made last week

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2013, 03:11:29 AM »
Nice work.
How well does the rear brake lever fit?
Any pics of it mounted?

Offline Thor08

« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2013, 04:17:36 PM »
lol someone please start making these im in dire need of an adapter.... or someone to write the program for the CNC Machine so we can all start making our own out of billet t6 or t7 aluminum.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »
It all depends on how busy I am as to how much time I can devote to it.
I'm happy to provide a solid model of what I have.
I know it will work but I'm trying to refine it somewhat  :|

Offline Thor08

« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »
Sandblaster your awesome man keep up the good work! :-D I've been following this thread carefully and i totally understand the time and devotion it takes to make up one of these lol. That's exactly why i haven't even tried it. I've been looking for solutions to fix my clutch cover i cracked the other day  :-( I have Welded it and still had a little leak so i decided to JB weld the rest of it. Everything holds.... :| but looks like its a frankin 500 and im a little sketchy about the JB weld. If anyone has any solutions im all ears. I love the idea of the 2 piece clutch cover!!!!

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
Mike, I don't appreciate you one bit......in fact I loath the time its taking you to make this d**n thing........you better get on it and have a finished project by the time I get my motor done!!! :-D :-D :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »
Ill take one and have a spare oem cover that got in a fight with the break pedal if you need.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
Mike, I don't appreciate you one bit......in fact I loath the time its taking you to make this d**n thing........you better get on it and have a finished project by the time I get my motor done!!! :-D :-D :-D

I feel so terrible....  :roll:

Ill take one and have a spare oem cover that got in a fight with the break pedal if you need.

Keep that cover, you'll need it..