Author Topic: might be coming back to the KX!! but got a few questions.  (Read 5549 times)

Offline BronkoRob

might be coming back to the KX!! but got a few questions.
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
havent been here in awhile, hope to be back for good soon.  im back into the market for another KX500.  the last one i had, i only had for a bit and had to sell due to money issues, but i got hooked.  looking to get back onto another!!!  a little rusty in the KX500 info just got a few questions on one im looking at.

first question....supposedly has a varner motor.  not familiar with this.  is this a shop, like any other shop?  or is this someone that is sought out for the KX5 motors?  any external indicators to prove it is a varner?  i know some guys engrave their logos on the cylinder.  any info would be great, or questions i should be asking about these motors? 

next question....the suspension is supposed to be works suspension.  said the shock is off of one of the team green bikes from 94/95?  has 44 rebound clicks?  the front end i was told is 94/95 showa works forks.  the forks are for sure not original, i know that much.  the outer tubes are colored more like modern ohlins....goldish.  anyone know anything about these?

has zip ty tank and lowboy pipe ans SX1 silencer.  i really like the way these look, and wanted to do this on my first kx500.  also has fasst co flex bars.  again a plus.

not sure about any other mods.  i havent made the drive out to check it out yet.  doesnt have the frame hoop style water pump guard, so im guessing no a full old team green bike. 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: might be coming back to the KX!! but got a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
Well get that K5 and stop messin around  :-D

Varner Motorsports builds bike engines for some big name riders.
You can read their own info about who they are here:
http://varnermotorsports.com/about_us.htm
Here is their main site.
http://varnermotorsports.com/
I would contact Varner and ask them about their engine ID's.

Hopefully some other members can pitch in with the rest of the info you need.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
Well get that K5 and stop messin around  :-D

Varner Motorsports builds bike engines for some big name riders.
You can read their own info about who they are here:
http://varnermotorsports.com/about_us.htm
Here is their main site.
http://varnermotorsports.com/
I would contact Varner and ask them about their engine ID's.

Hopefully some other members can pitch in with the rest of the info you need.

Varner was doing destry abbots motors.

the rear shock is off of oen of Roesselers bikes If I recall..

will reply more later after procuring beer for tomarrow  :wink:

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
PS..

the Zip ty tanks are bigger than he says they are   (he says 3.2    they are actually 3.8-4.2 gal depending which mold they were made on)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:29:43 PM by Motorrad »

Offline BronkoRob

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
Motorrad - nice to see you again.  so you know the one im talking about than.  its out in hesperia.  what do you think about it?  i am still trying to pry info out of the guy.  i have been looking around for the past few weeks for another KX500 and they are either priced within reason and beat, or in decent shape and asking a fortune. 

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
Motorrad - nice to see you again.  so you know the one im talking about than.  its out in hesperia.  what do you think about it?  i am still trying to pry info out of the guy.  i have been looking around for the past few weeks for another KX500 and they are either priced within reason and beat, or in decent shape and asking a fortune.  

Just got back in town...

It looks like a good bike..  but hard to tell in pictures...   pry more info from him.   and MORE pictures...

here is a picture of destry abbots bike.   you can see the Varner decal on the Jug behind the pipe..

and here is a better shot...

Just remember.. Like I tell everyone that asks me these questions..   unless I can hold it in my hand,  see it on the bike, or you have a recipt. with a date on it...   It never happened..   (I.E. fresh top ends,  so and so's motor.   200HP...   etc..).    Im sure sandblaster can vouch for this.. of how many "fresh top end" bikes he gets, that are trash..

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:51:28 PM by Motorrad »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
VERIFIED
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline teambft

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:34:24 AM »
Man, what a trick bike!!! :-D

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:13:08 AM »
The removable foot rest hanger looks like the one on my 1988 bike unlike the ones on the newer bikes, do you think thats a titanium hand made one.

Offline BronkoRob

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:25 AM »
well it doesnt sounds like the tricked out KX500 is gonna happen.  guy lost the title, has a few years of back fees, etc.i bought a bike without a title once....never again.  anyways kinda bummed out.  but got a lead on an 02 freshly powder coated frame, zipty tank and zipty low boy, hydro clutch, lighting coil...75 watts he says, not much, but some light is always better than no light.  PMB stand, and supposed to have documented top end replacement and cylinder replating.  so gonna check it out this friday, and hopefully i will be back in the club.

so the two low boy pipes made for the zip ty tank, one is the FMF, and the other is???  is there any difference in the power characteristics between the 2 low boy pipes?  the first KX i was looking at had the FMF, this one has...the other one.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:06 AM »
Well hey, buy that first bike cheap and save it for parts  :-D

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »

Does the Gnarly desert pipe not use the "prone to breakage" top frame pipe mount ? (or am I just not seeing it in the pic ?)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 07:44:36 AM »
Take a look at this thread for better pics, it should answer your question.  http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11283.msg88766.html#msg88766
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 03:23:48 AM »

Does the Gnarly desert pipe not use the "prone to breakage" top frame pipe mount ? (or am I just not seeing it in the pic ?)

You're just not seeing it in this picture.......however Team Green used to cut and weld in a beefier mount than the stocker for the reason that they would break easy.....This is something that most KX500 owners have had done as well.  I have not had any problems with mine breaking since I had mine modified as well.
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"