Author Topic: Show me your Gnarly Desert  (Read 19235 times)

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
Show me your Gnarly Desert
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »
Can someone show me a picture of the FMF Gnarly Desert Pipe on the KX500.     I searched all over this site, all over google, all over youtube. For about 2 hours with no luck. Does it look any different than the Gnarly Woods (on my bike)     

Motorrad

Re: Show me your Gnarly Desert
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Can someone show me a picture of the FMF Gnarly Desert Pipe on the KX500.     I searched all over this site, all over google, all over youtube. For about 2 hours with no luck. Does it look any different than the Gnarly Woods (on my bike)     

yes its differant... it doesnt have the curvy section near the tank.. Ill find you some pics tonight if somone else doesnt first

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
If you need better pics,just ask.The 1st 5 are all desert pipe.

these two are the Woods pipe...notice where the FMF stamping is,it's pushed forward a touch like the stocker,where the desert is straight(more free flowing)...and the other pic shows the more abrupt curve in the stinger...where the Desert pipe is less curved at the stinger.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:34:24 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »
The woods falls on its face at about 5000 rpm and the desert keeps pulling all the way to over rev.....here is a picture of the desert gnarly on my bike.  Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:54:56 PM by USMC 500 »
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »
Thanks Alot Motorrad, Foxx, and USMC. I really appreciate it. Finally i seen the pipe lol   I am gonna order me one in the next couple of weeks. I favor the mid-high area so that'll be alot better than the Gnarly Woods for me. Plus mine is dented and cracked. Also ya just cant beat the shine of a new pipe :-D.  Awesome Bikes BTW :wink:   Thanks again.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:38:36 PM »
Make sure you order the right Gnarly part number.....

020038 is the Desert Gnarly

020055 is the Woods Gnarly

You'll love the desert gnarly if you're looking for mid to top......
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
Ok i'll be sure to make sure i order the right one, Thanks. I know :-D I cant wait i'll post my results when i get it. Love the look too.

Offline DFL BIG BORE

• 1992 kx500
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:54:50 PM »
only problem ecpecially with the flat fender mod(which i think looks gay)is the slincer hangs down TOO low,i put slight bend in it and puts the silencer up high out of harms way!i liked the pro curcuit pipe hits harder then the fmf gnarley,but pc was out of stock when i was building my 5

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:09:43 AM »
If I had a choice. I'd run the procurciut plat 2. Over the fmf

Offline Enginerd

• Big Bore Addict!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »
If I had a choice. I'd run the procurciut plat 2. Over the fmf
Do you know if there's any difference between a Platinum and a Platinum 2?

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »
Thanks guys. Nice bike DFL. The angled up silencer does look good i might have to try that.   Motorrad and Dfl, i actually just ordered the Gnarly Desert and Powercore Silencer this morning. Sooooo, i guess i'll just save up for the PC Platinum 2 and some type of PC Silencer :-D. Doesnt hurt to have extra pipes plus then i'll get to compare the 3. (my woods, desert, and Pc2)

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
Thanks guys. Nice bike DFL. The angled up silencer does look good i might have to try that.   Motorrad and Dfl, i actually just ordered the Gnarly Desert and Powercore Silencer this morning. Sooooo, i guess i'll just save up for the PC Platinum 2 and some type of PC Silencer :-D. Doesnt hurt to have extra pipes plus then i'll get to compare the 3. (my woods, desert, and Pc2)

youll never notice the differance between the FMF desert, and the PC2 without a dyno.   dont worry about it.

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:14:58 PM »
Oh ok thanks motorrad. I guess that'll save me about $300+

Offline DFL BIG BORE

• 1992 kx500
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 01:09:18 AM »
all the pc pipes for the 5 are the same,plat and plat2 only diffference is thicker guage the 2 is thicker,the works pipe is the same as the plat2 just raw.the works pipe is bad ass but requires wd40 and a little elbow grease to keep from rusting.the carbon fiber pipe guard for my gnarly dez pipe fit like s**t! i threw it in the trash waste of money.i feel the difference but i had pc port and cut my head for c12 gas,ill take a pic with the side cover off this afternoon if you need a better view

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 05:38:57 AM »
Good info, I always wondered exactly what the difference was, just never bothered to ask. Now I definitely see the differences, and I have the low end Gnarly pipe..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart