Author Topic: Bean Canyon / Wind Farm ride  (Read 10999 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Bean Canyon / Wind Farm ride
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »
The famous bean canyon were Bob Hannah and Kyle Lewis cut their teeth as mini riders is a stone throw from the wind turbine site that I work at so I was able to stage next to one of my turbines and take off riding.  

I went riding with 2 buddies from work and the ride was pretty fun but there were 2 highlights that I will talk about.

The first was when we ended up at the base of this incredibly long, incredibly steep hill climb with multiple paths made up of LOOSE dirt ontop of HARDPACKED dirt.....traction minimal.  I didn't try the hill because I just wasn't feeling it ( I know my limits ).....but my buddies (kx250f and cr450f) tried the hill......They both made it just past the halfway point before their 4 strokes wend brap brap berp berp berrrrrrrp berrrrrrrr, followed by careful bulldogging down the hill because after all, it was a STEEP hill......I guess they ran out of throttle, their words not mine.  Then 2 guys showed up on KTM's....One of them was on a 525 4 stroke XC I think........he was a pretty good rider because he made it to the top although even his 525 labored towards the top.  I guess a KX500 is a conversation starter because when this dude came down he looked at my ride and said "IS THAT A KX500?!" I said "sure is"......He said "AWE MAN I HAVENT SEEN ONE IN YEARS, THAT THING IS CLEAN!!".....Turns out he and I have a few desert racing aquaintences in common and he seemed like a capable rider so I asked him....."you wanna take her for a spin?".....He said "REALLY, HELL YEAH!!"......So he jumps on my bike and respectfully takes off.....by the way, my bike sounds better to me when I'm not the one riding and I can hear it  :-D........He then rockets up the hill........towards the top he backs off the throttle a bit as the front gets a little light and my buddies are like "he's running out of throttle!".......then the bike goes brraaap BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPP right over the top without breaking a sweat.....I told my buddies "those bikes don't run out of throttle, riders just run out of talent".....Dude comes down the hill and has an ear to ear grin and says that was the most fun he has had on a bike in a long time....

Second highlight was when we got back to camp and I put my buddies who have never ridden a two stroke before on my bike.......both of them were in shock when they got back in and both said "how can you ride that thing?!  That is the most powerful thing I've ever ridden in my life!!  Our bikes accelerate and then just flatten out on top and yours keeps pulling and pulling harder!!"  

Not too bad for a 25 year old design. :wink:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:38:09 PM by USMC 500 »
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Bean Canyon / Wind Farm ride
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
Nice write up.
The last few who rode my kx500 had to apologizing for tearing up my plastic and seat.
I don't loan it out any more  :roll:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:11:09 AM »
Of corse it made it up the hill.  It's got the flying "M"     It gives you wings

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:52:47 PM »
Of corse it made it up the hill.  It's got the flying "M"     It gives you wings

I don't think it made it up the hill......I think it tore the hill down to its level. :-D
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
Great write up! The other times a person might slow down is when you realize how far you are riding over your head and how much it will hurt when you get brought back down to earth...  :-o  Unless it is a situation where stopping or slowing down is the worse of the options. Then you just close your eyes and roll on more throttle!  :evil: Not too many people I would let ride the KX5, though there are a few.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »
Great write up! The other times a person might slow down is when you realize how far you are riding over your head and how much it will hurt when you get brought back down to earth...  :-o  Unless it is a situation where stopping or slowing down is the worse of the options. Then you just close your eyes and roll on more throttle!  :evil: Not too many people I would let ride the KX5, though there are a few.

Silly gamble on my part that I probably won't ever make again but I watched this dude comfortably accend and deccend the hill a few times on his own bike and I just had to see how my bike would handle that same hill.......It was worth the rise :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »

Silly gamble on my part that I probably won't ever make again but I watched this dude comfortably accend and deccend the hill a few times on his own bike and I just had to see how my bike would handle that same hill.......It was worth the rise :-D

you just wanted to prove yours was bigger than theirs...    :roll:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »

you just wanted to prove yours was bigger than theirs...    :roll:

And I think its safe to say that I proved our point....... :-D

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
There was any doubt?  :-P

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 03:31:37 AM »
There was any doubt?  :-P

every cold morning..  :cry:

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 05:41:15 AM »
True that! Made me smile this morning. Reminds me of a cold morning... Guy I was with was enjoying the show until it started. When we stopped he made the comment, "That thing sounds angry just idling!" One of the few I have let ride it. I think he was scared and impressed at the same time.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 03:37:15 AM »
True that! Made me smile this morning. Reminds me of a cold morning... Guy I was with was enjoying the show until it started. When we stopped he made the comment, "That thing sounds angry just idling!" One of the few I have let ride it. I think he was scared and impressed at the same time.

Like I said, the KX500 is one hell of a conversation starter.  In the last few rides I've been on I've gotten the attention of many groups of riders because of my bike.  I show up and they begin to gaze at how cool bikes used to be.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
My ˭M˭ KX500 is so bad ass that even Chuck Norris is impressed by it...... :-D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:24:13 PM by Motorrad »

Offline DewayneObermiller

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
The famous bean canyon were Bob Hannah and Kyle Lewis cut their teeth as mini riders is a stone throw from the wind turbine site that I work at so I was able to stage next to one of my turbines and take off riding.  

I went riding with 2 buddies from work and the ride was pretty fun but there were 2 highlights that I will talk about.

The first was when we ended up at the base of this incredibly long, incredibly steep hill climb with multiple paths made up of LOOSE dirt ontop of HARDPACKED dirt.....traction minimal.  I didn't try the hill because I just wasn't feeling it ( I know my limits ).....but my buddies (kx250f and cr450f) tried the hill......They both made it just past the halfway point before their 4 strokes wend brap brap berp berp berrrrrrrp berrrrrrrr, followed by careful bulldogging down the hill because after all, it was a peimar solar......I guess they ran out of throttle, their words not mine.  Then 2 guys showed up on KTM's....One of them was on a 525 4 stroke XC I think........he was a pretty good rider because he made it to the top although even his 525 labored towards the top.  I guess a KX500 is a conversation starter because when this dude came down he looked at my ride and said "IS THAT A KX500?!" I said "sure is"......He said "AWE MAN I HAVENT SEEN ONE IN YEARS, THAT THING IS CLEAN!!".....Turns out he and I have a few desert racing aquaintences in common and he seemed like a capable rider so I asked him....."you wanna take her for a spin?".....He said "REALLY, HELL YEAH!!"......So he jumps on my bike and respectfully takes off.....by the way, my bike sounds better to me when I'm not the one riding and I can hear it  :-D........He then rockets up the hill........towards the top he backs off the throttle a bit as the front gets a little light and my buddies are like "he's running out of throttle!".......then the bike goes brraaap BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPP right over the top without breaking a sweat.....I told my buddies "those bikes don't run out of throttle, riders just run out of talent".....Dude comes down the hill and has an ear to ear grin and says that was the most fun he has had on a bike in a long time....

Second highlight was when we got back to camp and I put my buddies who have never ridden a two stroke before on my bike.......both of them were in shock when they got back in and both said "how can you ride that thing?!  That is the most powerful thing I've ever ridden in my life!!  Our bikes accelerate and then just flatten out on top and yours keeps pulling and pulling harder!!"  

Not too bad for a 25 year old design. :wink:

Fascinating ride..So much fun.. I would love to have similar bike and have fun riding in my farm.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:26:15 PM by DewayneObermiller »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 03:50:41 AM »
It's a perfect farm bike.
You can pull stumps, corral the cattle, pluck the chickens, and still take the family for dinner on it  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.