Author Topic: Inner clutch hub tightness question  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Inner clutch hub tightness question
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Hey guys,
Is the inner clutch hub supposed to have any free play back and fourth ? It's supposed to be tight correct ? Last night I disassembled my clutch cover and I noticed what I thought to be an abnormal amount of wobble on the clutch basket. So I disassemble the clutch, remove all the plates, and now i'm seeing inner hub wobble as well. I did not have a 30mm socket (going to get one today) so I could not verify the inner hub nut was completely tight. I also noticed on my bike there was not a washer tab bent over securing the inner nut ? Does The KX500's use a locking nut instead of a locking washer ? I wonder if vibration has somehow backed off that inner clutch hub nut slightly ?  Thanks for your input !

Rich
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Inner clutch hub tightness question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 01:09:18 AM »
Polar...when I got finished doing my 500 over last year,I did'nt have any play back and forth...just a miniscule in-n-out like you get when you grab on to the magneto while checking crank bearings.
I remember thinking the same thing for the hub nut,and not having a "tabbed" washer (thought it was strange)...because mine does not either,so I just looked in my manual,and double checked on a Kawi website under clutch and did'nt see anything for a "tabbed" washer,so you're safe there....I do remember having to torque the hub nut to 72ft lbs.
Hope this helps.

I should also mention that when I "did it over",it got all brand new OEM bearings throughout the bottom-end,so everything was nice and snug.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:24:02 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 01:29:38 AM »
Polar...when I got finished doing my 500 over last year,I did'nt have any play back and forth...just a miniscule in-n-out like you get when you grab on to the magneto while checking crank bearings.
I remember thinking the same thing for the hub nut,and not having a "tabbed" washer (thought it was strange)...because mine does not either,so I just looked in my manual,and double checked on a Kawi website under clutch and did'nt see anything for a "tabbed" washer,so you're safe there....I do remember having to torque the hub nut to 72ft lbs.
Hope this helps.

I should also mention that when I "did it over",it got all brand new OEM bearings throughout the bottom-end,so everything was nice and snug.

Thanks bro, I feel a bit better that my nut/washer is stock. I hope the splined bore on the inner hub is not hammered from being loose, guess we will see when I get it off. I was never abusive on the clutch, the P/O was a knuckle-head squid as well, so I doubt the clutch got beat. hell I almost never use it except to start and stop ! So hopefully all is good. I was very surprised to not see a locking tab type washer setup for the inner hub. Dam sure some "Red" loctite is going to be used going back together !
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:34:30 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:36:17 AM »
Keep your fingers crossed!...even if it is bad,I'm sure someone on here could hook you up with a good used one...like Sandblaster!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Polar-Bus

01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 07:07:50 AM »
Whew ! No real damage. The nut did loosen up. All's I see on the inner hub is 3 splines with a tiny amount of chipping on the start of the spline teeth. So i'm good. Glad I spotted this ! Oddly The clutch action was fine, never felt anything wierd with the clutch...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »
Whew ! No real damage. The nut did loosen up. All's I see on the inner hub is 3 splines with a tiny amount of chipping on the start of the spline teeth. So i'm good. Glad I spotted this ! Oddly The clutch action was fine, never felt anything wierd with the clutch...

That's good news!!....now I'm gonna have to check mine,or it's gonna bug me if i don't....and since there's still a foot of snow on the ground,and snowing as I type this,I might as well pull the cover now.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »

That's good news!!....now I'm gonna have to check mine,or it's gonna bug me if i don't....and since there's still a foot of snow on the ground,and snowing as I type this,I might as well pull the cover now.

After looking closely, Kawi uses one of those spring steel "cone" washers instead of a locking tab type for the inner hub shaft. Never really trusted cone type washers, and more proof.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1