Author Topic: Pulling Flywheel  (Read 3169 times)

Offline KawiMad

Pulling Flywheel
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »
I'm going to be pulling my flywheel on my 01 KX500, was riding flat out and had the bike just pretty much bog down and shut off. Cleaned/Checked carburetor getting gas, have blue white spark, new plug, put a shot of gas in the cylinder not even a back fire. Thinking it's my woodruff key so I will be pulling the flywheel off, I have the puller but was wondering how to stop the crank so I can take the nut off (is that not left or right thread). I don't have a impact gun so that's out and not going to buy a flywheel holding devise, outside of putting it in 5th with the brake on does anyone have another suggestion. Thanks :-D

Just Mad for Speed when I ride!

Offline alward25

Re: Pulling Flywheel
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »
strap wrench, standard type threads, not reverse thread.  Use oem woodruff key if that is the problem.  Check the reeds too.
"Let there be light"

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
Get the piston below TDC, but not far enough to expose the port. Pack with string or rope. Or, put it in 5th and stick a 1/4" extension in the chain/sprocket.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:31:50 PM by Brute »
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline jonny500

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
take clutch cover off, use power valve governor gear. put pv gear in between clutch and primary drive off crank and it will lock everything solid

Offline KawiMad

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:07:52 AM »
Thanks guys I used a $5.00 rubber strap wrench from Norther tool, worked  like a champ, Woodruff Key is Toast!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
If you haven't already put her back together,
  Take some valve grinding compound and lap the FW to the crank.
      Put some paste on the crank snout, work the FW back and forth by hand and look for any high spots.
 Usually not any longer than 5 min process.   Clean up real good with some solvent or brake clean etc. and the re-assemble.
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:33:03 AM »
Your right Tuck.
Especially on a fly wheel that has sheared a key.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline KawiMad

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips on the re-assembly, I will use it tomorrow for assembly as I just received the parts, 2 extra keys of course.

Mad for a 6th gear!  :evil:

Offline KawiMad

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 03:25:43 AM »
Dam, I just had to look up the Flywheel serial number and found it to be F4T102, yes for the 89-91 KX, i have a 2001 with the right Engine  code (BEO22671). Now I have owned this baby for almost a year and have done some to it, Tires, plastic, 48kg race Tec springs, rebuilt forks, carb, Ect. This is the first time I have gotten into the engine so Surprise Surprise Surprise wish that one owner pecker head would have mentioned that to me (then again he was a 60 plus gent so I'm going  to have to cut him some slack). My question what's the downside if any to the older fly wheel on the ignition, I can't find any numbers off the Stator unit so not sure if it's the same year or what.

Mad For SPEED. If only I could keep twisting the throttle infinitely to gather more Speed with no rev limiter.