Author Topic: Gearing Front/Rear Sprockets  (Read 2512 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Gearing Front/Rear Sprockets
« on: October 17, 2004, 05:20:33 PM »
I'm running stock 14/47 sprockets. By changing the rear sprocket to a larger seize 47 to a 48 to a 49 and so on, what does the larger sprocket do for my bike? With the stock gearing 1st and 2nd gear are really short. Will the larger spocket let these gears and the other roll on longer ? Is power delivery effected? I like the way my 500 rips right now. Just a weekend rider looking into local hare scrambles. Thanks

:blowup:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 07:31:50 PM »
Larger rear sprocket wont widen the use of 1st and 2nd gear,lowers overall gearing.Depends on your style of rideing and type of terrain how low to go,but I would suggest 14-49 or 14-50.Do you ever get WFO in 5th? I like to be able to use all my gearing,so I want to be able to use most of 5th on the longest sraight roads I ride.Lower gearing can make the bike aggressive (just like I like it),just my 2 cents.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 02:47:12 AM »
D@mn, I guess I need to make this link a sticky  :lol:

Gearing Chart

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 06:18:09 AM »
Looking at the gearing chart is appears that the ratio gets higher with the lager rear sprocket. And lower with smaller rear sprockets. I maybe wrong but it seems that going with a larger rear sprocket would allow each gear to roll on longer. I'm I thinking in the right direction? Just looking for away to make the 1st and 2nd more useable in short tracks. For my type of riding 2nd through 4th would be used mostly.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

mikesmith

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 05:35:45 PM »
You may need to try differnt ones to see what works for you,on another thread every one had differnt opinions on what worked best,14/49 was the most liked,but I run lower than that and like it a lot.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 05:54:19 PM »
Don't follow my advice on gearing, I run 15/45 as my "normal" gearing ;)