Author Topic: help with idle adjustment  (Read 21260 times)

Offline bjohn07

help with idle adjustment
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:05:15 AM »
so im not able to adjust idle at all, screw in or out has no change. if i loosen or tighten the upper part of the cable at the throttle idle will adjust  but i get surging.  any ideas. 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: help with idle adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
What are you adjusting, pilot or stop screw?

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
What are you adjusting, pilot or stop screw?

throttle stop is the one im adjusting.  could a lean pilot jet be the cause of not being able to set idle.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:51:32 AM by bjohn07 »

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
You say there is no change. Does it take a little longer to die with the screw in?

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:34:03 PM »
no.  about the same. bike will run on its own and idle will slowly die down. after about 15 seconds the bike stalls.  so ive just been giving it gas to keep it form stalling.  im running a 58 pilot jet in it.     only way i can get the bike to idle is to tighten up the slack on the cable itself.  but i know thats not the right way of doing it. 

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:15:52 PM »
How much do you need to adjust the throttle cable? Quite a bit? Just a little? Did you pull the idle adjustment screw to check the length? Maybe worn or tip damaged.

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
quite a bit.  once i adjust it to where it needs to be to keep the bike at an idle the cable adjuster screw is prob  3/4 the way or a little more out.  yes i unscrewed the idle screw all the way to look at it.  didnt measure. but the tip is nice and pointy, not flat or rounded.  what is the length suppossed to be on that?    i did notice that when i let the bike run with the choke on,  once it is a little warm after about 3 minutes or so i dont need to mess with the throttle any more to keep it going.  as long as the choke is on the bike idles but high.  around 1600-1800. ( the  throttle cable adjuster was turned in all the way at this time so im sure that it had no effect on this)

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »
Sounds like it could be lean on the pilot if it idles with the choke. How does it run off idle under load? Does it bog or hesitate then pick up rpm's?

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
Sounds like it could be lean on the pilot if it idles with the choke. How does it run off idle under load? Does it bog or hesitate then pick up rpm's?

off idle under load?  as in taking off outa first?  it hesitates a little bit. im just going off sound of engine but id say its from 1400-1800 and then it smooths out.   

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »
I would try a richer pilot jet. It does not gurgle and feel like it wants to load up, right?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:35 AM »
did you fatten up air screw? as cold as it is here, it would be lean. air screw would likely need to be all the way in, or like mentioned, increase the pilot size. Adjusting the cable to get an idle is bad, really bad. It can make the bike rev, when you turn the bars, or can even caus the motor to rev out of control just sitting there. the slide closing helps kill the motor in the event of an air leak or ring heating up during seating. Also could be  slide wear where the idle screw makes contact. Im guessing freakin cold is makin the k5 unhappy...

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 03:43:36 AM »
Ill try to fatten up the air screw today. If not im hoping apex stocks the pilot jets

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »
air screw didnt work. so i picked up a 62 pilot.  once it was warm it ran a little better than before but still wont idle.   :-(  not sure where to go from here.  dirt bike carbs are way harder for me to grasp than good ol 4 barrels.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »
This article I wrote might help you learn a bit about your carb.
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109
If you find anything useful, or confusing, let me know.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »
 How does the slide look? 
The link has a pic of what the slide will look like when the chrome has flaked or
worn off.  (you have to scroll down a tad)   
 This will play havoc with trying to get that carb tuned.   
     (Kind of what happens when  throttle shafts are worn/worn out.)

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=172951

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"