Author Topic: kx500 cafe racer? ever done  (Read 7773 times)

Offline bjohn07

kx500 cafe racer? ever done
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »
so i just picked up a crf450r and was planning on getting rid of the kx500 to fund a cafe project.  after thinking i decided the 500 2stroke engine would be a hell of a powerplant for a cafe racer.   i can always do a swap into a different frame but thats no fun.  plus i have a fork set off a 1000cc sport bike and a single sided swing arm sittin in the garage. but id like to keep the kx swingarm since its a bit longer.     anyone ever seen this done?  could someone help me out with a link or point me in the right direction.   ive searched but only find stuff with the motor swaps.  only thing i found was a few ktm cafe racer conversion.      i know its not supermoto but i figured this would be sorta the right spot to post this. 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: kx500 cafe racer? ever done
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:34:56 AM »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
nice. :-o  just a little more than i want to do.  trying to either keep the kx frame or just put the engine into an older cb frame or xj frame.  trying to stay at 2k.  not including engine rebuild.  and i dont have that kind of equipment available.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »
No offence... and dont mean to discourage you.... but if it was me... I think Id sell it. and go buy a nice RZ350

thats just me...

But if you do decide to go on with it.

You will need some MASSIVE gearing change's.    1st will be high.          Will need to re-work the motor so it will stay alive as a cafe bike

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
No offence... and dont mean to discourage you.... but if it was me... I think Id sell it. and go buy a nice RZ350

thats just me...

You will need some MASSIVE gearing change's.    1st will be high.          Will need to re-work the motor so it will stay alive as a cafe bike
well im not gonna race it.  just take it up in the twisties.  the swing arm i have has a 17" wheel on it and a 38t sprocket.  figured that would get me close to a top speed of at least 115 which is all i would need. i could get as low as a 35tooth sprocket for this wheel i have.   but once i get into the engine ill start doing some research on the trans gear ratios.    this is all just an idea as of now.   im still trying to find out if i could even find a cafe style tank to make work with the kx frame, since the backbone is really high and at an angle.   i also have a title on the bike and would like to use the frame.

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:36:04 PM »

thats just me...

well im not gonna race it.  just take it up in the twisties.  the swing arm i have has a 17" wheel on it and a 38t sprocket.  figured that would get me close to a top speed of at least 115 which is all i would need. i could get as low as a 35tooth sprocket for this wheel i have.   but once i get into the engine ill start doing some research on the trans gear ratios.    this is all just an idea as of now.   im still trying to find out if i could even find a cafe style tank to make work with the kx frame, since the backbone is really high and at an angle.   i also have a title on the bike and would like to use the frame.

if this is what you want... go for it Full bore.      I was just stating my opinion.      but it could be bias..   as I have a supermoto street legal K5 already.   and have wanted a RZ350 for many years... (woudlnt trade my sumo K5 for one though).

In my sumo setup.. I run a 15-40.     with my overdrive 5th (do a search on the site for overdrive 5th gear).        and it needs more top gear   :evil:     But will run along on the freeway  at what I call "popping" speed.         "pop,,,, pa, pa pop pop pop.."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:46:31 PM by Motorrad »

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »

thats just me...

well im not gonna race it.  just take it up in the twisties.  the swing arm i have has a 17" wheel on it and a 38t sprocket.  figured that would get me close to a top speed of at least 115 which is all i would need. i could get as low as a 35tooth sprocket for this wheel i have.   but once i get into the engine ill start doing some research on the trans gear ratios.    this is all just an idea as of now.   im still trying to find out if i could even find a cafe style tank to make work with the kx frame, since the backbone is really high and at an angle.   i also have a title on the bike and would like to use the frame.

if this is what you want... go for it Full bore.      I was just stating my opinion.      but it could be bias..   as I have a supermoto street legal K5 already.   and have wanted a RZ350 for many years... (woudlnt trade my sumo K5 for one though).

In my sumo setup.. I run a 15-40.     with my overdrive 5th (do a search on the site for overdrive 5th gear).        and it needs more top gear   :evil:     But will run along on the freeway  at what I call "popping" speed.         "pop,,,, pa, pa pop pop pop.."
i hear ya.  if i cant settle on cafe or not. i will prob end up making this kx street legal.   but not sure.  ill have 9 months to think about it.      i just wish i could find more people who have done it so i could see the outcome and get the creative juices flowing.         did you change any of the 1-4 gear ratios on your sumo?

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »

thats just me...

i hear ya.  if i cant settle on cafe or not. i will prob end up making this kx street legal.   but not sure.  ill have 9 months to think about it.      i just wish i could find more people who have done it so i could see the outcome and get the creative juices flowing.         did you change any of the 1-4 gear ratios on your sumo?

what state you live in?     getting a plate isnt easy in some places.  (like where Im at)...

there are atleast 2-3 differant ones on youtube.. have you seen them???       if you havnt Ill dig up the videos... I know I have posted them before.

my 1-4 gears are stock   (would love to change that).   but havnt found the solution yet   (besides a big $$$$$$$$$ check)

Offline bjohn07

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
its titled in utah.  i can get it changed to colorado since im stationed here or texas since its my home of record.    havent looked into it. but i went to dmv last week to register my sport bike and asked about the dirtbike.  all they said was if it was for offroad use just goto parks and recs.  or if i wanted to title for street use for me to get a vin inspection and bring in the utah title and i can get it transfered.    sounded simple enough.