Author Topic: KX 500 AF in the Super Tight Single Track  (Read 12948 times)

Offline brooksie

Re: KX 500 AF in the Super Tight Single Track
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
Forget a 500af for the tight and twisty stuff. I raced 500 2t's for several years and they would simply be over kill for the type of riding you are suggesting. I'm not saying it isn't possible. But fot my money, I would ( and will be this spring) buy the 2013 ktm200.
I have a KX500af in the making which I will be racing in MX, a KLR for a bit of trail riding (this is my seventh!), the KTM for Hare Scrambles and a GasGas 300TXT for messing about in the woods on our property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBUcTQcFUu8

Just my .02c

Cheers

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 01:55:35 PM »
I would have to agree about the KX5 not being a good tight trail bike. I have had three, and granted I am 58 and my reaction and skill level are falling off, but that being said, even when I was younger the KX5 was more work then fun in the tight stuff. Last ride out I swapped with a bud that had a GasGas 200 when we were in the tight stuff. Very fun. I could relax some. He is a better (and younger) rider, but he admitted the KX5 was a handful. He liked the more open stuff between sections though!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 06:36:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replys. I have been leaning towards the husaberg 300. Its got the ktm 300 xcw motor with a bigger gas tank and 4 chamber front forks. It has a lot of support through ktmriders forum and there is a shop not far from my house that has been open since 1997. It is not hard to get parts for these bikes and they are proven to be very good enduro bikes.... I loved my old K5 and would love to have a K5 AF but I think I would be happier on the berg... :oops:
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 01:13:59 AM »
That 500xcw does not look like a good bike for tight woods ridding....

In stock form it would, I just posted the dual sport picture because that's how I would like it set up.
I  guess I should say the KTM 500 would be a perfect woods bike for me.  I would street tag it and it would be great as a dual sport bike.  I've used my KLR in the tight woods so the KTM 500 would be a "walk in the woods" compared to the KLR.  I ride tight woods with a K5AF and a CR500, I prefer the CR in the woods.  By the time I get geared up, water, tools, tubes, food.....I'm tipping the scales at 350 to 375 pounds.  So yes on the KTM 500 as a woods bike for me.  Are the KX and the CR the best in tight woods, NO.  But they sure are fun.  Now, for just a low cost fun all around bike I ride a punched out KLX 250S.   351cc, 36mm pumper carb and full FMF Q4 pipe.  The little green bike kept up with all these bikes.

KX 500 Rider

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 05:14:23 AM »
Oh, what part of Oregon did you move too?
I live up by Eugene,
I do ride single track as well but I spend way more time on the coast or the eastern desert.
I won't be able to tell you anything on the AF's till I get mine done  :-D

Just moved to grants pass. Haven't been ridding at all up here yet, except for around some blm near my property on my wifes ttr125... The local dealerships and RiderPlanet as a lot of good things to say about the ridding areas around here.... I would love to get my hands on that service kx on ebay right now.... I'm just still not sure... the ktm and bergs look pretty darn nice.... There is a really nice husaberg shop up by you I plan to visit when I get home. (I work in Abu Dhabi) I will be home on the 10th

Dont go Orange the woods around you are already filling up with orange  There are lots of good green options.
I live roughly 40 miles north of you and like to hit some of the MRAs pocker runs in Jacksonville.
 Medford must have a good KTM dealer because it seems that there are more orange bikes than other.
You do have one of the best clubs out there and you should join  I am not into clubs at all but they are fighting hard for our rites to ride and the MRA actually owns there own land which is surrounded by blm and such. They do a really good job with there pocker runs and have politicians as members also. You should suppord them every time you turn around another ridding area gets closed.

Offline brooksie

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 05:22:00 AM »
I have the feeling that the Husaberg name is on its death bed, a repeat of what happened to Beull.
KTM has withdrawn individual dealerships for Husaberg (here in Canada anyway), and given them to existing KTM dealers. I don't see how the Husaberg name can survive on the showroom floor next to KTM now the bikes are almost identical apart from the colour.

Husaberg has lost that "unique" brand recognition now. Yes, they are still very good bikes, albeit blue KTM's, but there is no longer anything ground breaking about them, which is what I think the true Husa owner was buying into previously. And if the name does disappear, used "blues" will not fair well for resale.

Again, just my .02c. Jeez, I'm spending a fortune!  :lol:

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:39:11 AM »
If I ever decided to leave Team Green it would be for a Gas Gas EC250 or Husqvarna WR250. Both would be better than a KX500af for tight woods and technical riding and you wouldn't be on an orange bike! :-D

'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)