Author Topic: What 2-Stroke oil do you use?  (Read 60132 times)

Motorrad

Re: What 2-Stroke oil do you use?
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 07:38:01 AM »
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4859.0.html

Lots of fun links...

Most interesting is the burn rates across combustion...    VERY VERY similar...   And then if you go read the lead amounts you know why they are slightly dufferant. 

On iPhone at work...   So enjoy my short answer...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:42:13 AM by Motorrad »

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 08:25:02 AM »
Good info. What VP fuel does 100ll most closely match? I'm also on a mobile and it's hard for me to compare currently.

Also, anyone know a good distributor for Klotz R50?  That stuff is expensive locally... 

Motorrad

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »
Good info. What VP fuel does 100ll most closely match? I'm also on a mobile and it's hard for me to compare currently.

Also, anyone know a good distributor for Klotz R50?  That stuff is expensive locally... 

I wouldn't run R50 unless your a big wide open racer...   Not the oil for a woods guy...

Check out it's specs.   (s.g,  F.p, v.p) etc

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
Never rode singletrack or woods in my life. Lots of sand drag races, washes, high speed trails, open desert very similar to you only at 3k' elevation. I know as I grew up riding in Niland and have been to the Brawley hospital in ambulance and out.

Lots of WOT here. 

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4859.0.html

Lots of fun links...

Most interesting is the burn rates across combustion...    VERY VERY similar...   And then if you go read the lead amounts you know why they are slightly dufferant. 

On iPhone at work...   So enjoy my short answer...

Good info.  Here is the article I read on AV pros and cons  a few years ago, after reading the article again, sounds like you will be fine in a lower revving KX500 application :

Notes about AV gas from Harry klemm.

Harry used to do the motor work for Mitch at Pro Circuit, so he knows his stuff.

Tryce Welch told me much of the same a few years ago.

I run one gallon of VP C12 to 4 gallons of 93 pump.

"About Aviation Fuels - Aviation gasoline (or "av gas") is blended specifically for use in small aircraft. It's also commonly used by many high performance two-stroke owners because of it's high stated octane rating (usually 100oct) and the relatively low price compared to racing fuel. But it?s importance to understand some details about Av-gas.
Avgas octane is rated on a different scale than gasoline's intended for ground level use. What is 100 octane "av", is not necessarily 100 octane "ground level". Besides this, there is also a big chemical difference. Normal ground level race fuels are made up of gas molecules that have a "light end" and a "heavy end". The light end of the molecule ignites easily and burns quickly with a low temperature flame (as a piece of thin newspaper would burn). The heavy end of the molecule is not so easily ignited, but it burns with a much more intense heat (as an oak log would). This heavy end of the gasoline molecule is responsible for the hotter, more powerful part of the combustion process.
Small aircraft are constructed as very weight conscious vehicles. That's because their somewhat weak engines often have difficulty taking off with any extra weight. To help reduce this weight problem, aviation gasolines are blended with no heavy molecule end. This makes a gallon of avgas weigh measurably less than a gallon of ground level fuel. Since small plane engines turn very low rpms and produce so little power, the omission of the heavy end is not a significant horsepower issue. Running 100% Avgas in a vintage two-stroke is not a good idea because there is a measurable loss of power resulting from the absent ?heavy molecule ends?
All that said, for most vintage two-stroke applications, a 50/50 mix of 91-octane premium, is a mix that offers a big boost in octane, along with ?enough? heavy molecule ends? to make good power. We consider it a very functional and inexpensive way to greatly reduce temperatures, and improve detonation resistance (over straight 91 octane unleaded). We would tend to recommend against it?s use in a sustained high rpm application (like road racing or pro-level 125s motocrossers). However in any vintage two-stroke that is not being run ?wide open all the time? ? it is a fuel that works great. It bears noting that some blends of av-gas will quickly separate from castor-based oils used in premix situations. If you are pre-mixing bean oil ? av gas is not a good idea."
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline don46

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 11:06:18 AM »
I think most of the oils today are quite good, and I would run any with the exception of Yamalube. Why you ask no Yamalube, tear a sled down thats ran Yamalube for a couple of years and the carbon on the dome will be so thick you have to use a scraper to get it off. Today it might be good oil I won't use.

I like Redline oils, all of them the 2t, fork/shock and gear oil.
Phillips makes a good inexpensive oil that performs well, I use it in my sleds and have for years.

As for gas, I prefer VP, and yeah I've done my research and have much seat of the pants testing. For those running AV gas 50/50 I don't see any problem, I don't believe you get the performance potential you could, but then for most people the k5 has more than they need anyway. I run C-12 in my playbikes 50/50, in my nitrous bikes C-16, in my 500 comp bike I use Q16 and in the 4t MR12. Its expensive but if your looking for performance then you have to pay, no way I'd run this stuff for play bikes.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline jtm60

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
my thoughts exactly regarding the yamalube comment above..i have been out of 2 strokes for a while, but in the past have had IT-175, KX125, CR250, and KX250(94)...I used to run yamalube waaaayyyy back when until I tried using bel-ray mc-1...my bikes always seemed to run better with that oil and that is what I stuck with.  I would mix it a little leaner, closer to 40:1 and never had any issues with motor problems whatsoever, and the spooge factore was much less than the yamalube-also much less smoke.

Fast forward to last month, when I picked up a '99 KX500...previous owner gave me a bottle of yamalube and said that is what he has been running, so needless to say I will be draining whatever gas is left in the bike!  I have some new H1R and some Maxima that I picked up, so I will be trying those oils.  I am also considering tearing the head off and inspecting the power valves before I go much further as I am a bit concerned that the yamalube (and questionable mixture ratios + factory rich jetting from PO) has things gummed up.

I am expecting to run the H1R @ 40:1 with some slightly leaner than stock settings on the carb when I get time to play with it some..its been hotter than hell  :evil: here in texas, just can't get motivated to work on the bike yet.

Offline DeadRinger

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »
Motol 800 approved for catalytic converters. 100% synthetic Thats what I always run. Rotory guys put a little in to lube there apex seals.
This box should be one line.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
Back before Klotz back in the early 80's I ran Golden Spectro, good oil for the time and I did loose a few top ends, but not sure as I could blame the Golden Spectro on lack of oil performance. Back then I was young, 2 stroke green. and stupid but "kinda"  fast LOL .

The only oil I was not impressed with was Bel Ray MC1, that garbage leaves a ton of carbon spooge behind.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 04:16:34 AM »
PB, that's surprising, a lot of people like that stuff.

Offline Openclass

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »
I totally agree about the Yammalube. It's total JUNK. I switched to Golden Sectro and still run that today.

Motorrad

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
PB, that's surprising, a lot of people like that stuff.

I agree with pb on mc-1

Offline jtm60

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
I guess my comment above about mc-1 was that it was MUCH better for me than Yamalube, and maybe left a little spooge but nothing that i felt was ridiculous.  It was more spoogy @ 32:1, better at 40:1 or so...never trusted running it at 50:1, but im sure many have.

So how does the H1R compare to the MC-1 for those that have tried both?

Offline concave3

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
Motul 800 at 38:1 is the best

Says who ? Based on what facts ?

What smells the best ?

Klotz R50  !!

well I have an old 86 rm 125 with a very tired motor, it doesn't sound to good ive been running this motor for over a year now (thats how long ive had it) with this mix and it still runs, powerbands and runs pass my buddies 95 rm 125... but I like this bike so much im going to do a full rebuild soon before it dies!

I also run the same mix on my 89 kx 250, It hauls good and hasn't gave me any trouble, it has a brand new top end with only a few hours and I wheelie past my other friends 686 raptor all day long... so as far as im concerned this stuff keeps my engines running long and strong! plus I like the smell of it :-)
rallyripper

Offline meat_man

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2011, 05:02:24 AM »
H1R 60:1 2000 kx 500 since new.  I had a 92 kx5 that i got used and ran H1R at 70:1 after an older guy( I was only 17 so everybody was old!) told me he would race the big singles ie:500's at 100:1!  Never a failure.  Oh yeah i used to run av gas in the 92 too, it would blow chunks of carbon out the pipe( I guess it had some build up from previous owners)  when you ran it hard! Those were the days......