Author Topic: What 2-Stroke oil do you use?  (Read 60104 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
What 2-Stroke oil do you use?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 01:35:30 PM »
I have been using Yamalube 2-R and adding Yamaha's ring free. Mixing fuel/oil at 32:1. You should try the ring free regardless of oil brand. Your top end will be cardon free. Ring free not only cleans but keeps carbon from building up.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

delusionised

What 2-Stroke oil do you use?
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 09:03:56 PM »
Motul-full synthetic 40:1

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: What 2-Stroke oil do you use?
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 03:44:46 PM »
32:1 makes good power.

stewart

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 04:39:46 PM »
i tested dynoed the best and power valves were cleanest with belray h1r  at .50 to 1

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 07:13:12 AM »
That's nice to know, although my favorite recipe is the MC-1 at 60:1. The H1R seemed to give me more spooge, but I only tried it for a season before I went back to MC-1. Cam.

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 02:30:02 PM »
I used Golden Spectro 50:1 the first year I had my 500, then after running Maxima 927 in my 250 I carried it over and am using the Maxima 927 32:1 in my 500 now.  I actually think my bike is running cleaner with the Maxima stuff.   I love the smell of the 927 too, but it doesn't compare to the I-pone S2 I used in my 250 for a little while that smelled like strawberries!!! :-D :-D
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

mazstro

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 07:15:17 PM »
i run amsoil dominator at 50:1 and it seems great every time i have the pipe off (every ride due to pipe mounts broken) i look at the piston and cyl. and they always have looked super clean.

Offline c-152

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 12:12:19 AM »
I use maxima synthetic @ 44:1.  I know 50:1 would be better but I am a wuss and do need the tiny power gain that would result.  Besides who doesnt like the smell of premix in the morning?
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 05:11:17 AM »
i run bel-ray mc-1 @ 50:1 with the best fuel i can get my hands on (premium). i'd hate to run much more oil than that for fear of gunking up the power valve. anyone ever tried aviation fuel in their k5? i've wondered about it but the heat may be too high, not sure though. stewart, cam, you guys ever tried it? thanks, MADDOGGY

stewart

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 05:52:17 AM »
i don t run av gas because it s formulated for high altitude  at a fix throttle setting has diffrent additives than the two stroke works best with   try track tech line or vp line of fuels both great quilty

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »
Maddoggy,
  I used to use Avgas(100/120) mixed 50/50 with unleaded regular in the old days when race gas was not available.  I also had a cheap source and got it in 45 gal drums.  It worked very well and gave a large increase in throttle response - not sure how much true hp it added.  Now days there is so much excellent race gas available that I doubt using avgas in any form is worth it.  A can of VP likely works better and is cheaper.  I'm lucky since I get 94 at my local pump so my KX never sees race gas. Maybe it should! Cam.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »
hey thanks stewart and cam, i will be looking into the vp fuel. i'm taking a trip to st. anthony id. in june or july and would love the extra boost. any extra horsepower is great in the sand.  MADDOGGY

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 07:24:31 PM »
i run bel-ray mc-1 @ 50:1 with the best fuel i can get my hands on (premium). i'd hate to run much more oil than that for fear of gunking up the power valve....maddoggy

You know 50:1 is -more oil to fuel- than 85:1?  Just checking,  no need to answer.

As far as St. Anthony Dunes, Idaho.  You will be up around 5000 feet which means less power.  June is good and July is hotter,  less power also.  If you have higher comp or have done some other engine mods you will notice a significant loss of power.  Make sure to take some jets with you and also move the clip on the needle all the way to the top for crisper throttle response off idle (needle seating all the way in the needle jet).  Main jet should go down around 10-12 pts from where you are if you are around 1000 feet now.  I would also suggest mixing 50/50 with some leaded race gas (c-12) to get around 100 octane,  you will be amazed,  but may just get you back to normal feeling at 5000 feet.

Alot of the real riders up there on ATV 450's and 500's run nitrous foggers to make up for the loss of O2.

Sly

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 10:54:28 PM »
 I alway use Super Techniplate oil and at a ratio of 44:1. 32:1 always fouled plugs on cold starts for some reason. I would be leary of straight VP gas. Alot of guys are using race fuels and really lean mixtures. Their bikes smell great , but need tuned more often. Don't forget these guys are rebuilding every month, not going for longevity. You would need to re-jet and, flush tank and re-tune. I mix Premium pump gas and Turbo blue in a 1 part race fuel to 2 parts pump gas mix (Still 44:1) for the rare occasion I want to change things up. I think its important to keep fuel types and ratios the same, for the sake of less tuning issues, and longer life of the piston and cylinder.
 Good Luck and have fun out there.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 05:25:54 AM »
sly, but of course the 85:1 would be more fuel to oil. however i just can't bring myself to lean out the mixture more than 50:1. i just don't like burning down a piston. i also live @ around 4000 ft already and won't notice alot of change in performance there. a little due to heat and slight altitude change but not much. i will take a tuning kit so i can correct any issues that i may experience. went there last year on 4 wheels but the k5 this year should be awesome. :-P. i may use some 100 oct. vp fuel available at rexburg motorsports close to st. anthony's. $50.00 per 5 gal. so i'll have to sneek that one past the boss er...um...i mean my wife.