Author Topic: 88-04 FMF Gnarly/Turbinecore mounted on 86  (Read 3188 times)

Offline kkvslayer

88-04 FMF Gnarly/Turbinecore mounted on 86
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:10:57 AM »
Just thought I would post a few pics for anyone who is wondering if you can put a 88-04 pipe setup on a pre 88 Model,First pic is a 86 model specific pro circuit.If you have the ability to put together a undertank mount and a couple silencer mounts you can do this swap easily.There is waayy more clearance everywhere with the 88-04 model pipe,I'm using a tab bolted to the upper left stator cover bolt as a spring hook to connect to the pipe mount near the big bend in the pipe along with the undertank mount,The first time I tried mounting it I had issues with clearance where the pipe passes by the right rad but with my new mount the issue is gone,I have more clearance there now then with the 86 specific pro circuit I have.I personally perfer the pro circuit pipe but my stock silencer is in bad need of a repack so its getting hung up until I can get packed up,you can also easily mod a 88-04 silencer to fit your pre 88 model simply by trimming a few inches of the outlet pipe that connects to your header.its nice to know there are options if you trash your stocker or aftermarket pipe for your pre 88 model,I can take more pics if anyone needs to see something better,Cheers

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
Re: 88-04 FMF Gnarly/Turbinecore mounted on 86
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:34:13 AM »
looks awesome... cant wait to see a pic of the whole bike with the pc-exhaust...  :-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline kkvslayer

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 06:48:28 AM »
looks awesome... cant wait to see a pic of the whole bike with the pc-exhaust...  :-)

This was taken last summer

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »
which pipe do you prefer for riding? pc-platinum or fmf gnarly??
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline kkvslayer

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
which pipe do you prefer for riding? pc-platinum or fmf gnarly??
I personally prefer the PC,the bottom end is still very usable and mid to top never seems to end,just keeps pulling.I only got a few rides in with the Gnarly but haven't found the comfort zone I have with the PC,Hits the pipe more abruptly,seems less luggable at slower trail speeds,maybe once I get more time in with the Gnarly and get more used to the way the power comes on I'll have a different perspective,I think that I am just too used to the PC