Author Topic: Porting and Polishing  (Read 11200 times)

99tjrockcrawler

Porting and Polishing
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 12:32:36 PM »
Your bike looks great.  Where did you get the black plastic?  I was going to order graphics from the same place you got yours just a little different one.

Quote from: Arigato
You may have to lean her down one jet, but the sand is really soft so go in small increments.  Make sure you have buggy whips for all of the toys.  Little Sahara is about 2-3 hours north of Cedar City.  Both places are awesome....We stay away from both on the big weekends...Too many yo-yo's on the dunes with beer.  We wait until after the last ride to get hammered.

Offline Arigato

Porting and Polishing
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 07:47:32 AM »
MXsouth.com for the plastic.

Offline GDubb

Porting and Polishing
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 06:20:58 AM »
Hey 99tjrockcrawler... I ride dunes all the time on my 5, and one thing nobody touched on is the fact that you are bogging in 4th... my bike never boggs, even in 5th, unless I miss-shift and hit a gear too early. I think there may be something wrong with your bike like jetting,  lack of compression or something. I've never had the opportunity to drag race a new 4stroke (they seem to all go the other direction when I come around on the green beast) but I do know that this bike which is all stock with FMF pipe and silencer and a sand snake 10-cup paddle, has more nuts than I know what to do with and never boggs unless its because of rider error.  Just wanted to point that out since nobody else touched on it.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

BrianSM

Porting and Polishing
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 05:37:29 PM »
I can say for track....I outpull SMR525's with alot of engine work, I also outpull the CRF's with engine work as well same with YZF's.....the bottom end If not geared right they get a jump on me (If I'm geared right and on the pipe noway)...those bikes are fast but the greeny is faster
I'm with GDubb, your scoot is not running to its potential......

99tjrockcrawler

Porting and Polishing
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 12:28:58 AM »
Quote from: GDubb
Hey 99tjrockcrawler... I ride dunes all the time on my 5, and one thing nobody touched on is the fact that you are bogging in 4th... my bike never boggs, even in 5th, unless I miss-shift and hit a gear too early. I think there may be something wrong with your bike like jetting,  lack of compression or something. I've never had the opportunity to drag race a new 4stroke (they seem to all go the other direction when I come around on the green beast) but I do know that this bike which is all stock with FMF pipe and silencer and a sand snake 10-cup paddle, has more nuts than I know what to do with and never boggs unless its because of rider error.  Just wanted to point that out since nobody else touched on it.

When I say it bogs, It is only when racing up steep hills and I guess bogs is a bad word to use.  When I shift from 3rd to 4th it just stops pulling and seems like I can't get it in the powerband as the hill is too steep.  On flat ground it runs fine 3rd, 4th, 5th.  Looking to get more power so when I hit 4th it is still pulling like 3rd.  I also have checked jetting and it is right on and the compression is still good.  

If that is all you have done to your bike than I would say you would probably lose to the new 450's racing uphill as I have never seen a 5 beat one yet when the rider on the 450 knows what he is doing.

Offline Arigato

Porting and Polishing
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 02:14:40 AM »
I own both, and have ridden and raced against both on the hill (Dumont, Sand Mountain, Coral Pink).  Rider weight and skill being equal, a KX500 or even a CR500 properly jetted will smoke a 450 four stroke.  Call me 592-9304 and let's get yours straightened out.

99tjrockcrawler

Porting and Polishing
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 04:56:39 PM »
Quote from: Arigato
I own both, and have ridden and raced against both on the hill (Dumont, Sand Mountain, Coral Pink).  Rider weight and skill being equal, a KX500 or even a CR500 properly jetted will smoke a 450 four stroke.  Call me 592-9304 and let's get yours straightened out.

Hey thanks..I will do that.  We are going to coral pink this weekend and this will be our last trip out to the dunes for the summer as it is now jetski season.  I plan on working on the bike over summer to get it ready for next season...

Offline Rhyno

Re: Porting and Polishing
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 05:59:08 AM »

I know that this is an old thread.

Whatever became of this?  What were you able to figure out and change?

Thanks.....
'90 K5.....

Offline crazyolbastard

Re: Porting and Polishing
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
Look in "favourite mods" and "sticky part of rebuilding a top-end" by John! :wink:

//doordie

how about a link?
I can`t find it. :roll:
Crazy Ol Bastard